How Does IC and Iowa Stack Up in the Big

1620864367792.png
You've got 17.5% in T-bills amortized over the fiscal year, 8% in stocks and bonds. Carry the 9, divide by the Gross National Product and subtract the Iowa winters but add the Carver Ice Cream, liquor, and drunk girls and you will get the sum of how U of I stacks up with the rest of the conference.

Can we all just take a minute and appreciate what's probably the first and only Latin plural usage of the word campus on the entire internet, certainly the only time it's been used on a sports board of any type?

Out-frickin-standing.
At times you are fungi here.

I’m biased and all, can’t say I’ve visited other Big Ten campuses, but when I took my son for a college visit we were blown away by the campus. The campus itself is awesome, and downtown Iowa City is literally across the street with everything within walking distance. My son was like ‘dad, why are you forcing me to buy a car again?’ The river running through it is neat, the old capital building is nice, I can’t imagine Iowa being in the cellar for destination colleges in the Big Ten.
Walking down by that river at 7 o'clock on a nice spring evening is absolutely gorgeous. I would walk up one side and down the other on the eve of finals week just to clear my head and prepare for finals rigors.

You want to really liven up downtown, get rid of the Old Capitol Mall and replace it with a 10,000 seat sports arena. Walking distance for students in dorms, Greek houses, and apartments on both sides of the river. Less than four blocks from dozens of bars and restaurants. It would rock on game nights.

Fair enough re: Ann Arbor.

But the U of M is commonly described as being in Minneapolis (main campus is in Minneapolis with a primo view of downtown). There are a couple of satellite buildings in St Paul but Minneapolis is the city typically associated with the U of M.

When I've been there it's mostly with Ag and Extension, which is St. Paul.

Walking down by that river at 7 o'clock on a nice spring evening is absolutely gorgeous. I would walk up one side and down the other on the eve of finals week just to clear my head and prepare for finals rigors.

You want to really liven up downtown, get rid of the Old Capitol Mall and replace it with a 10,000 seat sports arena. Walking distance for students in dorms, Greek houses, and apartments on both sides of the river. Less than four blocks from dozens of bars and restaurants. It would rock on game nights.
Don’t you dare touch the old Capitol. That is a threat.

Chris Street Court at the Iowa Fieldhouse.

Keep Carver; wrestling will fill it no problem, and what school on earth could boast a big arena like that dedicated to wrestling? It's already the most hostile wrestling environment in the country by a long ways, and now they'd own it as their own territory. It's a hell of a lot more raucous and rowdy than basketball snoozefests. Gable and Brands have earned it, IMO.

Imagine taking Pennsylvania HS recruits on a visit and saying, "This is our wrestling building..."

Carver is a bit of a walk, especially for those on the east side of the river. But I kind of liked that old mall, they had a neat Chinese grocery store with a bunch of candy.

Chris Street Court at the Iowa Fieldhouse.

Keep Carver; wrestling will fill it no problem, and what school on earth could boast a big arena like that dedicated to wrestling? It's already the most hostile wrestling environment in the country by a long ways, and now they'd own it as their own territory. It's a hell of a lot more raucous and rowdy than basketball snoozefests. Gable and Brands have earned it, IMO.

Imagine taking Pennsylvania HS recruits on a visit and saying, "This is our wrestling building..."

Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. It would make one hell of a wrestling arena, another thought I had was hockey.

Don't see hockey happening at Carver since they just built that arena in Coralville. I'm hoping the University adds hockey and uses that arena. It's supposed to be pretty nice.

It's a shitty, outdated shopping mall. That thing is a relic of the 80s.

You're saying Panera Bread and a nail salon would be better than a new arena?

That was one of the cooler old blocks in IC, was sad to see it torn down for a mall...and not even a decent one at that.
If the buildings were beyond saving level the block, go ahead and build the needed parking ramp as was done. Put a cool mural on the North wall. Build a stage and small amphitheater/park for live music. Talk about creating a cool vibe.

Last edited:
It's a pain in the ass to get from Iowa to Evanston and vice versa. There is no good east-west road to get you to 294, which is what you gotta get to head to I-88 to get back to Iowa. And if you take the family truckster to Evanston to then drive around Chicago, it's a massive pain in the balls that will involve paying Gambino Brothers Parking Associates $44 to pull into a parking garage. But if you live there and can take the train, it's totally fine. The area east of the train tracks all the way to the Lake in Evanston is one of the nicest parts of the country. The whole North Shore is that way. Very picturesque, but Evanston is the only spot on the North Shore with a lot of critical infrastructure in walking distance. It's basically like a small Chicago neighborhood with about 5% as many homeless people.
Nah. It's easy to get around Chicago. If you are from Iowa, you take I-80 to Princeton, IL, and pick up the train. Four trains a day go through Princeton to Union Station in Chicago. When I go to Chicago, I take the morning commuter train and get there by 10:30am. Parking at the Princeton station is free and round trip tickets cost $50-$55 for two people (less than parking in downtown). Once in Chicago, you can get on the El and get to the Nortwestern campus by taking the Purple Line (I believe).

Heck, when the Cubs play an early game (12:30 or 1:30) you can take the morning train from Princeton and get to Wrigleyville in plenty of time to have a beer and food, watch the entire game, take the El back to Union Station in time for the last train leaving for Princeton (6pm if memory serves). No parking hassles, no traffic messes, and a great day. The few blocks that one needs to walk, I can do easily even with my prosthetic.

Nah. It's easy to get around Chicago. If you are from Iowa, you take I-80 to Princeton, IL, and pick up the train. Four trains a day go through Princeton to Union Station in Chicago. When I go to Chicago, I take the morning commuter train and get there by 10:30am. Parking at the Princeton station is free and round trip tickets cost $50-$55 for two people (less than parking in downtown). Once in Chicago, you can get on the El and get to the Nortwestern campus by taking the Purple Line (I believe).

Heck, when the Cubs play an early game (12:30 or 1:30) you can take the morning train from Princeton and get to Wrigleyville in plenty of time to have a beer and food, watch the entire game, take the El back to Union Station in time for the last train leaving for Princeton (6pm if memory serves). No parking hassles, no traffic messes, and a great day. The few blocks that one needs to walk, I can do easily even with my prosthetic.
Prothsetic? Anyway, I come from the south and it's terrible to get to the north side on many days. Train is a good idea.

Misunderstanding? I was referring to the five buildings that comprised the old Iowa Capitol, pre Des Moines.. Pentacrest, right?

Carver is a bit of a walk, especially for those on the east side of the river. But I kind of liked that old mall, they had a neat Chinese grocery store with a bunch of candy.
Gotta know the shortcuts, if you can still use them. Some may have been cut off by hospital expansion. But if you cut across the river on the Hancher or IMU footbridges and cut through the art buildings and up the hill hehind Hillcrest Hall or walk the tracks that parallel the Hwy 6 Westlawn curve near the dental school it doesn't take as long as one might think.

Misunderstanding? I was referring to the five buildings that comprised the old Iowa Capitol, pre Des Moines.. Pentacrest, right?
I wasn't. Those five buildings do comprise the Pentacrest but what is left of the Old Capitol Mall is still across from where all the city busses stop...

About ten or twelve years ago our family spent the weekend in Iowa City and I took the wife and kids to that museum on the top floor of McBride Hall, which IS part of the Pentacrest. The Laysan Island mural is still there depicting the story of migrating birds who would stop off at the island by the thousands...until the poachers came and rendered several bird species extinct. I pushed the same narration button I used to push in the mid eighties and there was the voice of Professor Bovbjerg (who taught a class I took) telling the fateful tale of the grey honeycreeper and other now extinct birds.

Doubt if Dr. Bovbjerg is still alive, but I brought up his name because he was an Okoboji legend and perhaps some of our posters who fish or vacation or play music there have heard of him.

There was talk in the eighties of potential hospital expansion forcing a teardown of Kinnick. A couple people mentioned tearing down the Pentacrest for that but it would have been impossible for historic and logistical reasons. They would relocate the main library, where pre Kinnick football once existed, before they did that.

Last edited:
I wasn't. Those five buildings do comprise the Pentacrest but what is left of the Old Capitol Mall is still across from where all the city busses stop...

About ten or twelve years ago our family spent the weekend in Iowa City and I took the wife and kids to that museum on the top floor of McBride Hall, which IS part of the Pentacrest. The Laysan Island mural is still there depicting the story of migrating birds who would stop off at the island by the thousands...until the poachers came and rendered several bird species extinct. I pushed the same narration button I used to push in the mid eighties and there was the voice of Professor Bovbjerg (who taught a class I took) telling the fateful tale of the grey honeycreeper and other now extinct birds.

Doubt if Dr. Bovbjerg is still alive, but I brought up his name because he was an Okoboji legend and perhaps some of our posters who fish or vacation or play music there have heard of him.

There was talk in the eighties of potential hospital expansion forcing a teardown of Kinnick. A couple people mentioned tearing down the Pentacrest for that but it would have been impossible for historic and logistical reasons. They would relocate the main library, where pre Kinnick football once existed, before they did that.
438890D1-61C7-4983-9089-6E1414C383AB.jpeg

The Lakeside Lab is bad ass. My boss is a bazillionaire with a big lake house in Wapheton (where the lab is) and he got me and another coworker hooked up with some of the faculty to show us around and check the place out for a day. It’s on Miller’s Bay which is a bluegill and crappie treasure trove, especially on the ice. The amount of Iowa-specific research actually done there is mind-boggling. Another cool thing people don’t realize is that even though there’s a ton of scientific work being done there, they also have residencies for undergrad and graduate students in writing, visual arts, performing arts, etc. The summer camps are really cool as well; Lakeside is a gem of the Midwest.

Psshh, there's no Panera there. The prob is that the top floor is all University office space. It's also a great place for students to chill in between classes, get some studying done. I don't think the footprint is wide enough for an arena unless it was super steep.

Latest posts