How do you feel

blkngldFRO

Talking with my different Hawk friends/coworker IRL there seems to be mixed feelings on the Bowl game. Wondering how everyone feels about it.

Are you nervous, excited, counting the hours till kick off?

Me I am happy I get to see another Hawkeye football game, but not overly pumped up about it. I really want to see the Hawks win but it is not a HAVE to win situation. I think it is more of a need to win. Maybe it is that I am nervous that they don't win and it doesn’t validate this awesome season. Is that wrong of a fan to feel that they need to win to validate a 12 win season? Maybe I just finally bought in to the whole “Iowa didn’t play anyone BS”.

What are your thoughts what are you feeling towards the build up?

Excited and as usual for any Iowa game...nervous. But hey, it's the Rose Bowl!! Who thought we would be here before the season started? So let's have some fun and enjoy it. Whatever the outcome, it has been an incredible year and I'll take it.

I'm extremely excited. I don't think it's a must win at all but a win would be huge.

If Iowa looses and goes on another streak next year get ready for the dialogue to circulate around the 2 end of season losses.

With that said, I'm confident Iowa wins and looks good doing so.

I also think MSU , OSU Michigan all win.

I've only worked 2 days this week, so far, b/c my daughter from Denver, CO is back, but I agree, long *** week, too many late nights out, hangovers, food, etc....let's get this game going.....I'm confident we will churn out a victory to cap off this amazing year for the football team...I still can't believe it (and, isn't this the time of year to believe?) Go Hawks

Ok this is helping build some more excitement.

Most definitely this would be a HUGE win...but would it be the biggest win in Kirks legacy? I think it would capping off a 13-1 season most likely finishing in the top 5.

I know i am pulling for MSU tomorrow! If they win and Iowa wins i think hawks could finish 3rd in the polls.

Looking forward to it for sure but not like if they were playing in one of the championship games Thursday night. The whole Rose Bowl thing doesn't make it any more special to me which I realize puts me in the minority. Plus I think it's going to be a pretty close, hard fought game that could go either way. Should be a really entertaining game.

Every game is must win. We want to be one of the big dogs, we have to beat some of the big dogs. A win in the Rose Bowl this year is a guaranteed top 5 finish to the season and a preseason top 10 or 15 for next year.

Plus, if you go into every game thinking it's a "must-win", that's a champions mindset. No complacency here. I'm nervous, I'm excited, I can't wait to watch this game. We're getting 14 games this year, for Christ's sake! 14 Hawkeye football games! Go. Iowa. Awesome.

If any of you have seen the elation of the Rose Bowl winners and dejection of the losers the last few years even the last 10-20 years you will know how much this means to players and fans.

The last few years the sparty, stanford, wisky players who have won and the losing players reactions say it all that this is a huge game.

I feel confident in the hawks, it is always great to see them play another game, and a huge game. I would love to see them win.

If you can see the UI Marching Band playing the school and fight songs in the Rose Bowl parade and you dont feel great then you have something wrong with you.

Every game is must win. We want to be one of the big dogs, we have to beat some of the big dogs. A win in the Rose Bowl this year is a guaranteed top 5 finish to the season and a preseason top 10 or 15 for next year.

Plus, if you go into every game thinking it's a "must-win", that's a champions mindset. No complacency here. I'm nervous, I'm excited, I can't wait to watch this game. We're getting 14 games this year, for Christ's sake! 14 Hawkeye football games! Go. Iowa. Awesome.

This X 1000. Excellent post.

I will say i have never watched the rose bowl parade and never intend or have a desire to. I've also never seen the thanksgiving day parade. Although hearing the fight song just on a ring tone perks up my spirits.

I'm excited for the opportunity to square off against Stanford, but in the back of my mind I can't help but think about how close we were to the Playoffs and see this as a consolation prize, a great consolation prize, but not what I wanted going into the Big Ten Championship.

I feel good about Iowa's chances. Iowa feels like it has something to prove after the CCG. Especially the offense. They know they could have done better. If Iowa scores 1 more TD before the 4Q, then MSU's legendary time consuming drive in the 4Q never happens or just becomes a late meaningless score.

This time, Iowa's offense scores enough to be up 24-13 on Stanford in the 4Q. Then Stsn scores a late TD to make it close.

Iowa wins 24-21

At this point the rose bowl is as good as it gets. As good as it gets. A rose bowl win is total victory - fullfillment.

If you have not listened to Jon and Dace's last podcast, you should. you'll find yourself with renewed optimism.

Here are my concerns.

Run defense - If Stanford looks at how Maryland gouged Iowa with that funky trap play, and Iowa does not shore that up, it could be ugly.

I need to be ready to watch the bend-but-don't break pass defense....and accept it.

Of course on any given play a guy like McCafery could make a juke and be gone. SO that's just gotta be part of it.

My hope lies in the offense on Friday. I hope we can score with them. Long, time consuming drives are fine, so long as Iowa can finish them.

Last edited:
There's no words that could tell the excitement I'm feeling to see our Hawks play in the Grand Daddy of them all! We got the chance to finish this season off with a big time win, in one of the most glorified bowls. Playing in this game is a big boost for our program, winning it could go a long way as far as recruiting goes. From what I've been reading on the game, there's not many picking Iowa for the win, and there's some even saying that Iowa doesn't deserve to play in the Rose Bowl, and Stanford will prove it. Our Hawks have got the chance to shut a lot of mouths with a W in this game. All I can say is, Go Hawks & Go Big in the Rose Bowl!

Everything i read about Stanford scares me. I'm excited though. It's the Rose Bowl and one final time i get to watch the team in this magical year. Bowl games don't excite me as much as regular season games though. It sucks that the nervous intensity of playing for a championship is gone. That was the most fun aspect of the season for me. The fact that we were playing for so much and kept coming through ( until the sparty game of course)

A major reason i want to win is because it will set us up for next year in the polls but i can't imagine we do what we did this year again.

Latest posts