How do divisions affect recruiting?

hawkfarmer

I heard once that being in the Eastern division would help us with recruiting. Does anyone think that ending up in the Western division hurt us at all? I think it helps us. We tend to recruit more Illinois, Indiana etc, and then do some out east. Beating Minnesota and Purdue every year will help I think. Also, we still play PSU and OSU as often as we used to, so that should keep the connections already made going. Anyone have thoughts on this that are much better than my know nothing projections?

Last edited:
I dont think so. Teams have rotated off schedules in the Big Ten for the last 17 years. This is not new...How many kids do you expect a team to recruit with the pitch: come here, we play Nebraska and Michigan every year.

Why not go there then? :)

If Iowa can assert itself over MSU and Michigan ... and if Michigan falters under Rich Rod ... I think that the current divisions could make Iowa even more alluring to kids from Michigan.

A bigger issue that I anticipate is the bigger burden that Iowa will feel in competing for recruits in Big 10 country against Nebraska.

Fortunately Iowa has a legit "head start" in that regard. However, winning will be critical for sustaining that advantage.

Having lived in the KC area and getting a belly full of the Big 12 I think playing Nebby could help recruiting in that area. Jon as you know there are tons of NU fans in that area (both Kansas & Missouri) and will give Iowa greater exposure to that base.

Jon...thoughts?

Latest posts