How Did Iowa Get Here?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The Iowa football team is fighting just to be average right now and it's losing the battle. How did things get here? Will it get better?

More...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Next year is a big year for KF one way or the other.

Both barrel's. Impressive. No reason to stop in St. Louis if your headed to Dallas, thats what I always say.

I thought the "end of the year" assessment was coming at the end of the year. The fact you are already doing it with 4 games left is tellling, I always consider you a "lets wait until it all plays out" type of individual........When Jon has baled on the season, with 4 games left, the season must truly be in the crapper.

The 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes were disappointing. The way they both turned out is even more disappointing.

I think that Kirk recognized the issue a while ago. I think that's why we have seen all the coaching changes. He knows that changes are necessary to keep the program fresh, but he also knows that changes of this magnitude take time to implement and even more time before you see the benefits. It's almost like he wants to "reboot" the Hawkeye Football team.

We all hope that Iowa has young talent. I've said it countless times. The brutal truth is that we really don't know for sure. Time will tell.

I kinda feel bad for Ferentz. He always seemed like a good guy. He could have left years ago. Things will not end well for him in Iowa City.

"Try going through this exercise; how many position players from this 2012 team would have started in 2002 or 2009? The only one who comes to mind is Micah Hyde. Perhaps you find a slot for Scherff somewhere on the line in 2009, maybe Ferentz, too. Extend that exercise to the 2004 season and Hyde is the only player on defense, for certain. None of Iowa’s skill position players gets that nod (other than a warm body at running back in 2004 due to the decimating injuries)."

Very interesting way to look at the current talent......

I kinda feel bad for Ferentz. He always seemed like a good guy. He could have left years ago. Things will not end well for him in Iowa City.

Nice guy or not, I don't feel sorry for him. He has made more money from coaching than anyone with his resume could hope for. There aren't many "7-5" guys out there that make the kind of scratch he does. And if thing don't end well, he can take his $20 million buyout and enjoy the rest of his life wherever he wants. I don't think he needs us to feel sorry for him.

As long as he doesn't pull a JoePa, he'll be fine. Plenty of people will defend his tenure.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Next year is a big year for KF one way or the other.

If this is the case, then Sokol and/or Ruddock(sp?) will have to take a HUGE leap forward or KF is willing to compromise on that buyout.

The 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes were disappointing. The way they both turned out is even more disappointing.

I think that Kirk recognized the issue a while ago. I think that's why we have seen all the coaching changes. He knows that changes are necessary to keep the program fresh, but he also knows that changes of this magnitude take time to implement and even more time before you see the benefits. It's almost like he wants to "reboot" the Hawkeye Football team.

We all hope that Iowa has young talent. I've said it countless times. The brutal truth is that we really don't know for sure. Time will tell.

I'm not so sold on this.

I hope they've got the attrition issue figured out best they can. Obviously that's a crap shoot with possibly homesick 18-22 year olds (most of the transfers being 18-19), but there just seemed to be an inordinate number for awhile there. Before last year, it seemed like we were establishing a mid-Atlantic talent pipeline, but with Coker gone, Poggi never having seen any snaps, Lomax and Law scarcely emerging from the bench, I wonder if that's no longer viable.

I don't doubt that our best players are starting, but sometimes you've got to throw other guys a bone, even if just for a snap or two.

The Iowa football team is fighting just to be average right now and it's losing the battle. How did things get here? Will it get better?

More...

Jon

excellent article, I don't always agree with your perspective but you are a very talented writer.
The Hawkeyes are facing some difficult decisions. Ferentz is a class act and has done a tremendous job with this football program over the past decade or so. I'm in my fifties so I have followed the Hawks since the 60's. With this being said he is also well-compensated to the tune of almost 4 million dollars a year. Biggest problem they have is a lack of talent in this program. With the Big Ten Network bringing in millions the Big Ten football has brought in better coaches and recruiters in the past ten years and Iowa has not kept pace. I feel unless our coaches don't start bringing in better talent we are headed for 4 to 7 win seasons for a long time to come.

Most programs have peaks and valleys, depending on recruiting, injuries, bounces of the ball, etc. etc.

Frankly, the only exception the last 10 years would be Ohio State, and they cheated to accomplish it.

Iowa still has a chance to qualify for a bowl game this year. The season is not over. This staff has recruited well and the future looks good. I'm not sold on Davis, the new OC, but only time will tell.

Don't judge a program by the level of unhappiness on a free message board. Many of the people on these boards don't even bother to go to the games.

I attended the MSU and NW games. Iowa played hard and the differences in our team and MSU and NW was not that great. We have a very average QB - we need to recruit better at that position and think about recruiting a dual threat QB who can move out of the pocket. That would really compliment the Davis offensive schemes. If NW and ISU can recruit mobile QBs, there is no reason why Iowa can't. I'm betting you see that happen.

I certainly don't ascribe to that.

What we are seeing now has been building for a few years due to the decimation of 2008 class and the narrow margin for error the 2009 class had. I should have stayed with my 7-5 gut from all spring and summer, and only felt that possible due to a weaker schedule.

I think the team will be better next year and think that 2014 is going to be a year where things really need to rebound, like 8 wins +.

Chosen, I didn't feel like I was painting a grim, 'the end is nigh' picture. Not at all. I just think the fingerprints on this year begins with talent in the upper classes. Nothing can be done about that right now, and it will probably take another year of some struggles on the DL.

Really, this program is all about the defensive line. Iowa has won 8 or more games in the regular season 6 times under Ferentz. During those six years, the Iowa defense ranked in the Top 10 nationally in scoring defense and/or rushing defense in each of those years.

When it hasn't ranked that highly in one of those categories, it has won fewer than seven regular season games.

As for a QB with more mobility, Iowa needs it...but that is not to say they need a dual threat guy...just someone who can buy some time in the pocket...Tate comes to mind there. Of the guys on campus now, I think Sokol fits that mold the best.

What we are seeing now has been building for a few years due to the decimation of 2008 class and the narrow margin for error the 2009 class had. I should have stayed with my 7-5 gut from all spring and summer, and only felt that possible due to a weaker schedule.

I think the team will be better next year and think that 2014 is going to be a year where things really need to rebound, like 8 wins +.

Better next year as in 6-6? Is this really what we have settled for, talking better next year and 8+ wins in 2014. My goodness, this has gotten really bad.

In order to keep his job, I think there has to be at least some hope going into 2014 that Iowa will contend for a conference championship. Whether it' a quarterback emerging, the talent along the lines really starts to show itself, etc.

Last edited: