How concerning is 0 nearfall points vs ISU

CRwrestling

ISU was pretty content to base out on the bottom and wrestle with the goal of not getting pinned. That said for us to have any shot at a NC we have to be able to get bonus points and hopefully pins against lesser opponents.

It is a bit concerning. On the one hand, teams like PSU put up lots of back points. On the other hand, despite the beat down, ISU is a big rivalry and I think they wrestled better against Iowa than versus Old Dominion.

ISU spent most of the evening stalling on the bottom and doing whatever they could to not get pinned. Iowa will do just fine getting bonus points later in the season.

I don't think any ISU fans realized there was a match. Nobody cares. It's wrestling.

Yet you post in the wrestling forum. Nobody cares? How about the 10,000+ fans that showed up. How about all the extra tv exposure wrestling as a whole has gotten over the last couple years. I'd say if you think nobody cares, then you have no clue.

Yeah, so I live in wrestling wasteland. How did the team look against ISU? Are the upper weights going to be a problem this year, especially 197?

Apparently my daughter's high school has a pretty good wrestling program, for here anyway, but from what I saw in the few minutes of wrestle-offs I happened to catch they would struggle mightily back in Iowa.

Yeah, so I live in wrestling wasteland. How did the team look against ISU? Are the upper weights going to be a problem this year, especially 197?

Apparently my daughter's high school has a pretty good wrestling program, for here anyway, but from what I saw in the few minutes of wrestle-offs I happened to catch they would struggle mightily back in Iowa.

I think our upper weights will be fine. Evans will man 174 and get better with conditioning. EL will be very good at 184, should definitely AA. 197 will be servicable, might not even qualify, but it'll be better than last year. Telford will give us another AA at heavyweight. Will it be enough to knock off PSU, probably not, but the upper weights are good.

Good to know. This forum is pretty much my source for any wrestling news, well, actually it is pretty much all I look at for any Hawkeye news. So despite the obvious trolls keep the info coming because some of us basketball fans support the wrestling team.

Good to know. This forum is pretty much my source for any wrestling news, well, actually it is pretty much all I look at for any Hawkeye news. So despite the obvious trolls keep the info coming because some of us basketball fans support the wrestling team.

Ross WB over at BlackHeartGoldPants.com does write-ups for most meets, and they have a pretty good community of wrestling commenters over there after the articles. It's a nice place to follow, especially as we get into Midlands, BigTen, and NCAA portion of the schedule. People start paying more attention at those points of the season.

I think our upper weights will be fine. Evans will man 174 and get better with conditioning. EL will be very good at 184, should definitely AA. 197 will be servicable, might not even qualify, but it'll be better than last year. Telford will give us another AA at heavyweight. Will it be enough to knock off PSU, probably not, but the upper weights are good.

Going to be tougher then most think for Telford to AA this year with both Trice and Bradley coming off red-shirt years. (especially if he wrestles like he did on Saturday night)
197 is a huge question mark right now with neither Lira or Burak showing the potential so far to make a good run at either the Big 10 or National tourney. I'll wait to make a judgement on lofthouse at 184 until he faces a tough opponent. 184 is loaded this year so it will also be very difficult for Lofthouse to AA. Overall the Hawks need to start stepping it up and work for more bonus pts or else they will be looking at a 3rd/4th place finish at Nationals this year.

Ross WB over at BlackHeartGoldPants.com does write-ups for most meets, and they have a pretty good community of wrestling commenters over there after the articles. It's a nice place to follow, especially as we get into Midlands, BigTen, and NCAA portion of the schedule. People start paying more attention at those points of the season.

Cool. Thanks. I don't get over to BHGP as much as I should.

Latest posts