How close was Stanzi to being benched?

I heard Kirk Ferentz asked this question post-game and he said never even crossed his mind to bench him. He acted almost surprised to be asked.

Zero. Undefeated team, 3rd qtr. long balls hanging against the wind (more the fault of the playcaller than the player), Stanzi has a proven ability to rally, complete unknown behind him.

Who you planning on putting in a redshirt freshman, Stanzi has won 13 straight till he lossesor gets hurt there is no question who is the QB on the field.

Stanzi plays his best when the chips are down... Coach knows this, plus the wind had a LOT to do with those long picks. On a calm day, those two are TD's to DJK

Kirk on Big Ten wrap up answered that question "No, it never crossed my mind." Referred to earlier comments that Rick does not give up, knows when he has made a mistake, we don't have to remind him, etc.

Zero. Undefeated team, 3rd qtr. long balls hanging against the wind (more the fault of the playcaller than the player), Stanzi has a proven ability to rally, complete unknown behind him.

everything you said is absolutely correct. Would only add one thing the two deep throws were open if he looks off the safeties.

I'm sure they showed them on replays too (don't know because I was at Kinnick), but on those long balls that hung up, he had WR's WIDE open...it's a shame the wind was such a factor, but both teams had to play in it. We just played so much better when we had it...perhaps we should have stuck with the shorter stuff going into the wind.

Last edited:
I'm sure they showed them on replays too (don't know because I was at Kinnick), but on those long balls that hung up, he had WR's WIDE open...it's a shame the wind was such a factor, but both teams had to play in it. We just played so much better when we had it...perhaps we should have stuck with the shorter stuff going into the wind.
Agree 100%. The play was there, just not with the wind. He was too confident in his arm, especially after making the throw earlier in the game. Shouldn't have made the throws IMO.

Latest posts