How close is this team?

BSpringsteen

A lot of this season, reminds me of Kirk's second year where we went 4-7 but everyone could tell something was happening.

Yes, we've looked a lot like last year at times this year. Yes, we've certainly looked the part of the worst Big 10 team at points this year.

But if you look at the games we've lost, there are a handful of them that we were in, were leading, were another player away from winning the game.

It appears as though we are going to have to go JUCO a few players.

I count the following as games that easily could've gone the other way...

Long Beach State
Iowa State
Wake Forest

Several of the Big 10 games we've been close in, even if it doesn't end up close.

If we can beat NW and Michigan and steal one more, that would take us to 6 Big 10 wins and within a stones throw of a final record of 16-14.

There are a few things that I liked in this win.

1) on the road in an extremely hostile environment
2) fought back from being down
3) keept at did not give up
4) total team effort not one person coming up with big plays
5) stayed composed in the final seconds and a little luck helped

Like i have posted in other threads I like the progression i have seen this year. I think your right maybe one juco would be nice. Then again pretty much the whole team comes back with a lot of playing time next year. Just need a little more talent and a little more size.

Have they turned the conner? I am not ready to say that they have, but all of them are leaning around it and they see Coach Fran waving them over.

I'm seeing this year what I wanted to see - the team is improving and being competetive. As expected, we got blown out a couple times earlier in the conference season (Purdue & NW) but we have been far more competetive recently and are now starting to win a few..

The PSU game was much closer than the final score showed, and we were right there at halftime against Michigan, just couldn't keep it up in the 2nd half. We're getting more consistent now.

So just as long as we continue to compete (regardless of W's and L's) the rest of the way, rather than quit playing like we did last year and get blown out game after game, I would say "mission accomplished" for this year. This year doesn't have the feel of a team that is about to quit on us though, so I'm optimistic.

I expect a much better non-conference next year compared to this year, which will go a long ways toward breaking the .500 mark and some sort of post-season play for the first time since NWST. Man, has it been that long?

I agree, we still need to add a couple of pieces. Especially a solid big man, and another PG, but we have a good foundation to build around right now.

Fran said recently: "You're not really ever as far away as you think". I'm starting to believe him.

Last edited:
There are a few things that I liked in this win.

1) on the road in an extremely hostile environment
2) fought back from being down
3) keept at did not give up
4) total team effort not one person coming up with big plays
5) stayed composed in the final seconds and a little luck helped

Like i have posted in other threads I like the progression i have seen this year. I think your right maybe one juco would be nice. Then again pretty much the whole team comes back with a lot of playing time next year. Just need a little more talent and a little more size.

Have they turned the conner? I am not ready to say that they have, but all of them are leaning around it and they see Coach Fran waving them over.

Agreed, with this additional thought. I think you are seeing two leaders emerge on this team: Cole as the heavy (the enforcer down low but also the senior who keeps the younger guys under control and staying in games) and Cartwright as the captain of the offense who drives, dishes and scores when appropriate or needed.

It's a dual leadership that seems to work with these individuals and this team. We're going to really miss Cole's leadership and presence under the basket next year unless someone else steps up.

A game like last Saturday can really prepare the team for the Big10 Tourney. Tough to win on the road, and they did that, and to come back from double digits.

Playing on a more neutral court will make it a little easier. At least with Alford's teams, you knew they'd play well in the tourney....Lick's teams didn't even show up. I'm hoping Fran can steal a couple, and who knows what can happen in a one and done......

Still hoping he can recruit.

I'm seeing this year what I wanted to see - the team is improving and being competetive. As expected, we got blown out a couple times earlier in the conference season (Purdue & NW) but we have been far more competetive recently and are now starting to win a few..

The PSU game was much closer than the final score showed, and we were right there at halftime against Michigan, just couldn't keep it up in the 2nd half. We're getting more consistent now.

So just as long as we continue to compete (regardless of W's and L's) the rest of the way, rather than quit playing like we did last year and get blown out game after game, I would say "mission accomplished" for this year. This year doesn't have the feel of a team that is about to quit on us though, so I'm optimistic.

I expect a much better non-conference next year compared to this year, which will go a long ways toward breaking the .500 mark and some sort of post-season play for the first time since NWST. Man, has it been that long?

I agree, we still need to add a couple of pieces. Especially a solid big man, and another PG, but we have a good foundation to build around right now.

Fran said recently: "You're not really ever as far away as you think". I'm starting to believe him.

Fran's style involves attacking the basket. That's easy to say. But I think all IA players have to be evaluated on the basis of how well they do that (attack the basket) in order to see how "far away" we are in Fran's system.

Cartwright has come a LONG way. He's developed a nice set of moves to get himself free and provide a consistent threat. You can also see that he's finally come to terms about how Fran wants the team to be run.

Basabe is getting more consistent. He's an interesting case because he uses an apparent disadvantage, his physically smaller size compared to the trees in the lane he encounters in the BT, to advantage. He's quicker than they are, and his long arms allow him to release and block shots at the same elevation as his opponents. He's starting to get comfortable with that at this level. I see those two players as the centerpiece of the attack for the rest of the year.

Gatens doesn't attack as well off the dribble. However, he gets a lot of points by attacking with his shot once Cartwright or Basabe have provided a threat and provides stability with his ball-handling and passing.

The players that have more upside and are close in my mind: May and Brommer. Can May start consistently look for shots including those in the lane where he might actually have contact? Can Brommer consistently play with high energy and not make stupid fouls? Marble is limited this year because he's often playing out of position but he's shown flashes when he can attack from the wing.

Next year we need another big. Brommer is becoming valuable but I still only see him giving 20'/gm as a Sr. max. That leaves Archie and White. Archie is getting better but 'depending ' on him to give 20'? White may have potential but he would be a frosh playing out of position in the post. Big need.

We could use another attacking PG. I'm thinking that Fran's style needs 2 attacking guards and Gatens is limited there. Payne might provide some of that. However, I've come to the conclusion that he's injury-prone. Also, Cartwright will be a Sr. Paging Mr. Stokes, Mr. Guerrero, Mr. Washpun?

UncleHawk

Agreed, with this additional thought. I think you are seeing two leaders emerge on this team: Cole as the heavy (the enforcer down low but also the senior who keeps the younger guys under control and staying in games) and Cartwright as the captain of the offense who drives, dishes and scores when appropriate or needed.

It's a dual leadership that seems to work with these individuals and this team. We're going to really miss Cole's leadership and presence under the basket next year unless someone else steps up.

agreed they have definitely emerged as leaders towards the end of this season.

While we will miss Cole's leadership and presence, I think that we are seeing two people getting ready to fill that hole. Basabe and Brommer can fill that hole. Both will put on more weight in the off season. If Basabe improves as much as Brommer has this year under Fran he is going to be one of the Hawkeyes best players! If Brommer keeps improving he is going to be a really solid starter next year.

Saturday was the first time I have screamed in joy, not agony, over Iowa hoops in a while. Winning on the road was huge and it definitely was a huge confidence builder for the team.

As far as how close this team is to turning the corner, hard to say. We know what we have in Cartwright and Basabe, but others need to step up. Marble, McCabe, and May have to be more consistent offensively and McCabe has to gain some quicks or he is a defensive liability. Add Oglesby and White to the mix and we have more unknowns. We need two more impact athletes....maybe one juco and one recruit, to give us more scoring pop and allow a couple of the young guys to play their natural positions.

Its odd but very few games this year have I felt like changing channel and not care what happened. They competed in alomst every game and many times had me saying just a couple less mistakes and a couple made shots and they win. They are climbing the ladder and improving well but as stated by many they are in need of a lttle more firepower to open things up for a couple guys that are already on the team and capable of much more.
I think a juco big guy wouldn't be a bad idea to provide a quick boost and allow FM to recruit big time HS guys off the success but its ahrd at this stage to find those instant guys still available. I do think Cully will show us some things next year but the next guy needs to be coming in line to learn.

To being a competitive Big Ten team capable of finishing in the 5th-8th range in the league? Very close, possibly even next season.

To contending for Big Ten titles?
Very far away. We should have some solid depth next season, but we're missing that elite talent required to win big.

Latest posts