How can a team be crowned into the BCS title game after 1 game?

Well it's all up to Oregon St. now. Hopefully, they can stop all this Boise St. for national champs talk before it gets too far along.

Oregon State was completely overmatched by TCU...I dont see them going into the blue monster and having much of a chance. I would guess Boise is favored by 15 or 16 in that game

The ratings will be through the roof because its the title game...not because Boise is involved

It might be higher if Boise is involved. America loves the underdog. I would watch too and would be rooting for them but it doesn't mean they deserve to be there.

Oregon State was completely overmatched by TCU...I dont see them going into the blue monster and having much of a chance. I would guess Boise is favored by 15 or 16 in that game

They lost by nine and had a chance to tie the game with like four minutes left, with a QB making his first start. They were hardly overmatched, and they were 13.5 underdogs to TCU so that spread is probably about right. Oregon St always starts slow, playing them later in the year will give them a better shot.

It might be higher if Boise is involved. America loves the underdog. I would watch too and would be rooting for them but it doesn't mean they deserve to be there.

America also loves big names....see ratings for USC vs Texas and Texas vs Alabama

They used to be "The Underdog." Now they are just a pain in the a$$ overrated team that will get into the national championship game for going 1-0 in a BCS conference while a team that goes 8-0 in a BCS conference gets left out.

Q: How can a team be crowned into the BCS title game after 1 game?
A: See Notre Dame. Florida/Tebow. USC.

Explanation: it's mind-numbing media hype, try not to let it get to you. :)
There is a looonnng season of CFB to be played. We all know how many variables are at play, and how many different scenarios can and will play out.
I advocate remaining patient.

I'm sure this whole debate is why BSU is joining the Mountain West. This will put them up against some more worthy competition and boost their SOS. Wait, TCU will be the only one still there other than Air Force that will offer any competition. Utah leaving, BYU going independent. Boise State's AD has already face palmed several times thinking about it.

Back to the ratings comment

TV ratings

Look at the ratings for all bowl games over the last several years. The ratings are pretty similar from year to year but one thing that is obvious it when bigger name schools are involved, more people watch.

Not trying to hijack the thread but i thought it was interesting to look at.

There is a looonnng season of CFB to be played. We all know how many variables are at play, and how many different scenarios can and will play out.

This.

Great post...thats why they play the games. I think people are just hyped up because if Iowa somehow runs the table and gets left out because Bama is playing Boise the meltdown could be the end of the world

Listen to Vintage and try to not think of that scenario!

Hey guys, I don't know if you knew this or not, but the FACT that BSU plays in a non-BCS conference where they play cupcakes week in and week out except for 1 1/2 games all year is a 'weak, old argument'. Even though their strength of schedule backs this up as well. ShadasRevenge doesn't like FACTS though so it doesn't matter because it's a 'weak, old argument'. And since he pens it that way then the FACT that they play in a non-BCS conference doesn't matter because it's just a 'weak, old argument'. See how old that gets? Do you have anything else at all to bring to the table? Or are you just gonna come back with your 'my opinion is far superior to your's just because I'm a genius and you're not' crap and then make some kind of "funny" remark that doesn't even follow? Let's see what brilliant thing you can come up with now. Should be entertaining.

They used to be "The Underdog." Now they are just a pain in the a$$ overrated team that will get into the national championship game for going 1-0 in a BCS conference while a team that goes 8-0 in a BCS conference gets left out.

Agreed. People keep counting last year as if it were this year. So as of right now they are 3-0 against BCS quality schools. National championship teams triple that number to get a shot and don't have 10 cupcakes in between those games. It will take Boise 4-5 more years of beating 2 BCS quality schools a year to match that of a major school.

Virginia Tech is overrated, but still had game won. Probably will not be ranked at seasons end. That will be used against Boise State to keep them out of NC game (thank god). Part of me would like to see them in a NC game against an Alabama, Ohio State, or Florida cuz they would get pummeled. Then we could forget about Boise State once and for all.

I said it in another thread and ill say it here. If BSU ends the year with no ranked opponents they have almost a 0% chance of playing in the title game.

To whoever said they are "legit". Yes, at this point in the season they are. They played a decent/good team in a hostile environment and won. That makes them legit in my book. Right now.

HOWEVER, as per the OP, they can't be a shoe in for the NC game with what they have coming up. Regardless of what anyone says, that schedule means something. OR State is their only challenge and they may be the 5th best team in the Pac 10/12. Who else is a challenge . . . Nevada? It's a joke.

Let's do a little what if: Say Iowa plays E. Illinois, Florida International, Indiana, Maine, Northern Illinois, Iowa State, Syracuse, Ball State, Buffalo, Akron, Minnesota, and Miami. This a comparable schedule to what Boise gets this year. Can you imagine the backlash if we went undefeated against them? The only game of significance would be against Miami and we really don't know if they're legit this year either.

If they go undefeated this year, congrats. But it doesn't deserve a NC chance even over many 1 loss teams in difficult conferences. If you think they do, we can't really have an honest conversation.

How VT does this season will be a factor.

I think they may have been a bit over-rated. I think they're more of a top 20 team then a top 10. I'll predict they finish second in their division, behind GaTech and/or Miami.

Hey, don't forget. Boise State still has to take on San Jose State. And they gave Alabama a scare with a 3 spot they put up last Saturday. Come ON, they deserve a shot!

Maybe Iowa can drop down to the Sun Belt.....we could schedule 1 or 2 decent BCS teams a year, go undefeated, then **** and moan until they let us play for a title....and in the meantime point out our sweet 50 wins in 4 years and dominance at home...

Adds to the fact when Herbie sounds like a wide-eyed schoolchild talking about why he thinks Boise is legit and why he thinks no one should talk badly about them

Latest posts