Hostage situation

Iceman

No way Jr should have been given the job. Now he hasn't produced, even average results. 123 out of 130 is laughable with big ten money and facilities at your disposal. The Ferentz family will hold the program hostage till they decide differently

I’ve heard (And I wouldn’t know for sure, this being hearsay from the old folks) that other than a few years with a coach with one ecological name or another this football team was a dumpster fire except for under the last two head coaches. Do you really want to be Nebraska?

I’d like us to matchup better with elite teams, too. I’d like Kirk to open up the offense more. But what we really have is a recruiting and a development issue. That’s a Big Ten problem. That’s a not Oklahoma or the SEC problem.

I’ve heard (And I wouldn’t know for sure, this being hearsay from the old folks) that other than a few years with a coach with one ecological name or another this football team was a dumpster fire except for under the last two head coaches. Do you really want to be Nebraska?

I’d like us to matchup better with elite teams, too. I’d like Kirk to open up the offense more. But what we really have is a recruiting and a development issue. That’s a Big Ten problem. That’s a not Oklahoma or the SEC problem.
Point 1. Would have never been hired for the oc position at Iowa or any other relevant school without KF influence.

Point 2. When he got the job, he has produced statistics that are in bottom 25%
of all schools in the country

Point 3. It is a fact that under KOK the offense was at least average statistically speaking.

Point 4. Is it not the coaches job to recruit and to establish an environment good players want to come too?

Point 5. You seem to insinuate it is lack of talent and not coaching. Do you realize Iowa is top 10 in putting players in the NFL. If the players are so terrible, why are so many playing on Sunday.

The problems is both on the offensive side.....scheme and recruiting. Specific positions we put into the NFL (tight ends for example) and some lineman.....but we don't have loads of talent coming from our offensive skill positions.

I'm also becoming concerned with physical development with our players. We are becoming more undersized in the trenches.

Point 1. Would have never been hired for the oc position at Iowa or any other relevant school without KF influence.
Maybe so, but then, maybe not. I’ll give you it might not be a big brand, but he’d be in the running for OC at a Boston College or Colorado or Wake Forest prior to his time as OC here. He had solid experience at the Patriots that makes him at least as qualified as half of other first time power 5 OCs.
Point 2. When he got the job, he has produced statistics that are in bottom 25%
of all schools in the country
Dad
Point 3. It is a fact that under KOK the offense was at least average statistically speaking.
KOK is on the staff and had better talent when he was OC. Brian has had two really good TEs and no other meaningful NFL talent at the skill positions.
Point 4. Is it not the coaches job to recruit and to establish an environment good players want to come too?

Point 5. You seem to insinuate it is lack of talent and not coaching. Do you realize Iowa is top 10 in putting players in the NFL. If the players are so terrible, why are so many playing on Sunday.
Yeah, Iowa takes a bunch of rabble and turns out some gems. Emphasis on some. Iowa isn’t putting 4 and 5 stars in the NFL. The only one they have in recent memory isn’t even contributing. They’re developing guys that nobody else wanted. You can’t build a 22 man starting lineup, let alone 40 contributors, on the backs of 3-5 guys that you’ve developed and hope to compete against the teams that are staffed with only three stars and above. Get real.

I am 100% for schematic changes, on both sides of the ball. We need a total overhaul to the run game. We need to make adjustments defensively for Purdue and teams that can put up points, on both sides of the ball. But if you think Brian doesn’t have more flexibility than Greg Davis did, and if you don’t think that is because of Brian’s last name, then you are either stupid, blind, or both.

Look around the Big Ten West. The big dog is Wisconsin. Minnesota is the real up and comer. Iowa and Northwestern punch up and win the division some years. Who has Minnesota modeled their team on in the West? It’s not Iowa. Their OL dwarfs ours, just like Wisconsins. We need to either do the same with our OL and run scheme, or do something entirely different.

Last edited:
BF bio per Wikipedia

2010 oca for Patiots, assuming that's oc assistant

2011 assistant TE coach
2012 TE coach

You would think if he was so talented at oca that Patriots keep him there instead of demoting him to assistant TE coach for 2011.

Last edited:
BF bio per Wikipedia

2010 oca for Patiots, assuming that's oc assistant

2011 assistant TE coach
2012 TE coach

You would think if he was so talented at oca that Patriots keep him there instead of demoting him to assistant TE coach for 2011.
Okay, so you really are this clueless. OCA is the equivalent of a graduate assistant at the college level. Assistant TE coach is a promotion. TE coach is another promotion to position coach.

By the way BF for Prez.....or whichever Ferentz family member you may be, Indiana oc fired last week for being 124 in total offense, Kansas State oc fired for 101 in total offense. See what happens in this business....or any business if you don't produce....

So, he wasn't an assistant oc with Patriots, yet has....in your words....solid experience to be an oc in a power 5 school. This must be BF I'm chatting with. Hey Brian, produce and stop riding daddy's coat tails

So, he wasn't an assistant oc with Patriots, yet has....in your words....solid experience to be an oc in a power 5 school. This must be BF I'm chatting with. Hey Brian, produce and stop riding daddy's coat tails
Go look at the resume for OCs before their first OC gig and tell us what experience Brian is lacking.

Isn't bf under someone else so the nepotism isn't a thing? Might be the time to pull the trigger.
He’s Barta’s direct report for all HR issues.

the university made a big deal at first of making sure there was separation.

But…anybody thinking Gary Barta is going to make a personnel decision about a member of the football coaching staff is nuts. KF makes those decisions and the donors writing the checks support him. Barta is there to manage monkey bars and row boat racing.

He’s Barta’s direct report for all HR issues.

the university made a big deal at first of making sure there was separation.

But…anybody thinking Gary Barta is going to make a personnel decision about a member of the football coaching staff is nuts. KF makes those decisions and the donors writing the checks support him. Barta is there to manage monkey bars and row boat racing.
Where do I tryout for the monkey bars team? It might be time for me to get a masters.

Go look at the resume for OCs before their first OC gig and tell us what experience Brian is lacking.

What's he's lacking? Maybe his resume for a first OC position was good enough to land him the position, but IMO and the opinion of many others, the issue is what has he done to retain the position since he's been there.

IMO your taking a huge chance as a HC promoting your son as a first time OC, regardless of credentials, based on the simple fact that in doing so he's already under a microscope and under fire simply because of who his dad is. Right now that fire is burning out of control based on (a) who his dad is and (b) the fact he's done nothing to silence the critics since he became OC.

Based on performance, at what point does KF have to say enough is enough? I've got no issues with his remaining on staff, but daddy either needs to find someone else capable of running the offense or give Brian complete control to run it his way because what we are doing now isn't working.

What's he's lacking? Maybe his resume for a first OC position was good enough to land him the position, but IMO and the opinion of many others, the issue is what has he done to retain the position since he's been there.

IMO your taking a huge chance as a HC promoting your son as a first time OC, regardless of credentials, based on the simple fact that in doing so he's already under a microscope and under fire simply because of who his dad is. Right now that fire is burning out of control based on (a) who his dad is and (b) the fact he's done nothing to silence the critics since he became OC.

Based on performance, at what point does KF have to say enough is enough? I've got no issues with his remaining on staff, but daddy either needs to find someone else capable of running the offense or give Brian complete control to run it his way because what we are doing now isn't working.
Yeah, I agree, he needs to do the latter if we are going to be any better than 9-10 wins and praying for a win in Indy. I don't think he will. Kirk has never been comfortable with sending his offense out there to win him games. The offense looks the same as it did fifteen years ago (I don't say twenty because, as I have said elsewhere, the talent was better then) not because of the OC, but because of the OC's boss. This year was really bad on offense, worse than the last few years, because the offensive line was awful. Otherwise, before this year there was no noticeable difference between every season with Brian Ferentz calling plays and the ten years that preceded him. Kirk can let Brian open it up, or he can let someone else open it up. But if you think that Andy Reid would've been able to do more than 10% better with this offense than Brian did this year then I'm not sure you were paying much attention.

But if you think that Andy Reid would've been able to do more than 10% better with this offense than Brian did this year then I'm not sure you were paying much attention.

I agree that the Oline was the bulk of the issues offensively this season. But that applies to this year. Even taking this season out of the equation, what has BF done in his tenure as OC that legitimately would secure or even remain employed anywhere else? I'm by no means putting it all on him as I think it's as much on KF as it is on BF, but it's obviously broken and needs fixed. Even within KF's system if there's no signs of life on the offensive side, if he isn't going to change his ideology he needs to change coordinators to someone who can have some success within the current system.

I agree that the Oline was the bulk of the issues offensively this season. But that applies to this year. Even taking this season out of the equation, what has BF done in his tenure as OC that legitimately would secure or even remain employed anywhere else? I'm by no means putting it all on him as I think it's as much on KF as it is on BF, but it's obviously broken and needs fixed. Even within KF's system if there's no signs of life on the offensive side, if he isn't going to change his ideology he needs to change coordinators to someone who can have some success within the current system.
Nothing. Now before you say "BF4P calls for Brain Ferentz's firing!!!!!!!11!1!!!!" I think firing coordinators is a stupid, hasty attempt for the big guy to save his job, four times out of five. Look at what Harbaugh did. It seems to have worked, at least for now, but Don Brown was not the problem at Michigan the last five years. Scott Frost fired half of his staff. He's still going to suck next year, because the problem at Nebraska is Scott Frost. The problem with Kirk's offense is Kirk. You want to fire Kirk to try to fix the offense? Fine, but enjoy whatever team you've got when the dust settles. You want to fire Brian? Again, fine, but expect the same, unless Kirk completely steps away from the offensive side of the ball. Some coaches do that, to great success. And some don't.

Nothing. Now before you say "BF4P calls for Brain Ferentz's firing!!!!!!!11!1!!!!" I think firing coordinators is a stupid, hasty attempt for the big guy to save his job, four times out of five. Look at what Harbaugh did. It seems to have worked, at least for now, but Don Brown was not the problem at Michigan the last five years. Scott Frost fired half of his staff. He's still going to suck next year, because the problem at Nebraska is Scott Frost. The problem with Kirk's offense is Kirk. You want to fire Kirk to try to fix the offense? Fine, but enjoy whatever team you've got when the dust settles. You want to fire Brian? Again, fine, but expect the same, unless Kirk completely steps away from the offensive side of the ball. Some coaches do that, to great success. And some don't.

I've said numerous times that firing Kirk is not an option nor a choice I'd ever make because the other aspects of the program (defense and special teams) are doing exactly what they need to be doing to win games and I honestly like where we are. Ideally IMO, I would like to see KF step away from the offensive side of the ball entirely while bringing in someone who has had success as an OC. I simply don't think anything different happens if KF lets go of the reigns and hands the offense off to someone already part of the program.