Hoops Observations

bpiercehawks

A few observations based on this video and some clips from TOS. The layup drills (4 clips) were really telling in a number of ways.

Our guys are not very good with the ball in their hands. Cully needs some ballhandling work, and our bigs are extremely uncomfortable with the ball. I was shocked to see so many guys having to look at the ball while they performed their layup drills. Marble seems pretty fluid w/ his offense and May will be solid.

It looks like we'll be running Motion offense. We also ran a drill with a ball screen that looked like it originated out of transition/early offense. Cartwright has some nice quickness on this. I think that our bigs will for the most part be looking to set screens to get our scorers open. Flares for 3 point shots and I would guess that Gatens will be told to run his man off Cole/Brommer/Archie at every opportunity.

I think McCabe will be a gamer. From the brief videos he seems like a "heady" kid. Took a rebound away from Brommer; a small thing but smart players make lots of "little" plays. I think Brommer will be a key because he has a good body and hustles.

Finally, I think we can't underestimate how valuable it will be for Cully and Cartwright to go head-to-head in drills. When I coached and didn't have good competition at the point guard position in practice, I felt the play of our entire team really took a hit. Go Hawks!

If I were to have watched those vids I only would have seen dudes doing layups. Some people have an eye and can extrapolate. I ain't one of 'em.

i dont think cartwright will beat out cully to start, but having him around is the best thing that could have happened to cully.

Man, when I was watching those videos when we were practicing transition. Our ability to catch a pass was absolutely terrible. That is frusterating to see a D1 caliber athlete unable to catch a pass that was, for the most part, right to him. I think Fran will continue to improve our squad and I am anxious to see how "fast paced" we really play. Here's good luck to Iowa this season, they may need it.

Just know, it will take time and we won't change overnight. But I feel there is better to come.

Last edited:
Man, when I was watching those videos when we were practicing transition. Our ability to catch a pass was absolutely terrible. That is frusterating to see a D1 caliber athlete unable to catch a pass that was, for the most part, right to him. I think Fran will continue to improve our squad and I am anxious to see how "fast paced" we really play. Here's good luck to Iowa this season, they may need it.

Just know, it will take time and we won't change overnight. But I feel there is better to come.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/ame]

i dont think cartwright will beat out cully to start, but having him around is the best thing that could have happened to cully.

Maybe not to begin the season, but if Cully can't finish and is still fond of leaving his feet with nowhere to go with the ball, he'll likely find himself behind Cartwright. Cully not only struggled to beat his man off the dribble, but had an extremely difficult time finishing when he did. I think Cartwright will surprise some people. You don't get nominated for McDonald's All American for having no game.

I am surprised at how some of you still under-appreciate the value that Cully Payne brought to the team last year and will again this year. The OP says he does not handle the ball well. Crazy talk coming from an ex coach. Let's not get all excited about Cartwright just yet. If he beats Cully out, then he is a heck of a player. If not, hopefully he will be a good backup and a player that can play along Payne at times to give Iowa's rotation some flexibility.

I am surprised at how some of you still under-appreciate the value that Cully Payne brought to the team last year and will again this year. The OP says he does not handle the ball well. Crazy talk coming from an ex coach. Let's not get all excited about Cartwright just yet. If he beats Cully out, then he is a heck of a player. If not, hopefully he will be a good backup and a player that can play along Payne at times to give Iowa's rotation some flexibility.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cully did a great job last year given the circumstances and him being a freshman. I was just stating that he had some things to work on, mainly finishing at the hoop and better decision making. It was good to see him coming on at the end of last year, and hope he continues to improve.

cullys right hand is a little weak but he had no trouble beating people off the dribble. he needs to finish better, but i have said that about every point guard we have had except for dre.

cullys right hand is a little weak but he had no trouble beating people off the dribble. he needs to finish better, but i have said that about every point guard we have had except for dre.

Andre was a beast! I remember watching him throw some sick dunks down at Iowa basketball camp when I was younger. As for Cully, he did struggle to get to the hoop. You can't say we had anyone last year who could create their own shot. Jake Kelly was the last guy that was even close to consistently being able to create on the floor.

I hadn't looked at this post in a while and noticed a few people had posted. I wasn't ripping on Cully, I'm a Cully fan; I think he's tough as nails and will look to be more of a scorer this year. I also don't think Cartwright will beat him out, but the competition for the PG spot (and maybe them playing next to each other) will improve the team. My reason for posting again is that without a doubt Cully needs to improve his ballhandling. I'm not saying he's bad, but for a division I pg, he needs to continue to work on that skill. The ball should be an extension of his body and frankly I don't see that yet. Go Hawks!

Latest posts