Hoops: Iowa Going Toe to Toe with Big Ten Foes

I dunno. I still sort of miss this kind of ball.

url
This is not a good memory.

Little Lick was a fine young man - he just wasn't a Division I basketball player

+1 in rebounds is pretty good without a center. Gatens is frickin' Chuck Barkley in Big 10 play I guess averaging 9. Nice.

I was thinking about that yesterday as we drove back home from Iowa City. This team at least is playing to win, not just to compete. That's a culture change that you can see now. The support of the team is going to come back but its going to be a slow process. But this team is easy to like and so is Fran. I'm pleased with the progress so far and now I'm really excited for the rest of the conference season. That win showed me they can beat anybody in the league. I still think they'll finish lower half of the league but they at least have me excited again.

This is not a good memory.

Little Lick was a fine young man - he just wasn't a Division I basketball player

Nor was he a DII basketball player apparently.

I still remember the big ten network studio crew openly laughing at the absurdity of him playing against b10 athletes.

That was a low point.

Last edited:
Very nice summary Jon.

If I still lived in Iowa City I would be at the games in a second. Of course, I had season tickets when I lived there.

Fran has brought an exciting style of bb to Iowa City and it is only going to get better, much better. When Iowa gets consistent 3-point shooters combined with a tremendous inside game, Iowa is going to be a very tough team. Considering how Fran likes to pound the ball inside, with the additions of Woodbury and Meyer, along with Basabe, Olaseni, and White, this team is going to be difficult to defend inside.

With guards that can breakdown a defense, a big or small frontline if they want, and good outside 3-point shooters this team is going to be tough to beat. On defense, Iowa will have quicker, more physical players, true shot blockers, and a big front line that can control the boards and get the ball out so Iowa can run. Fran is getting the players that he needs to run his brand of bb. Next year he really fills holes and he will have great experience on the floor. I would not be surprised in the least to see Iowa back in the tournament next year.

I simply cannot imagine why fans would NOT want to start going to games again. Iowa is going to be a very exciting and explosive team to watch...very exciting. Fans like winners and Iowa is quickly putting a winner on the floor.

If they are still having trouble getting the stands filled, they should offer and advertise specials so that fathers (or mothers) come with their kids or make it affordable for families to attend. All a kid has to do is attend one game, and they are hooked for life.

I used to take my little brother (Big Brother/Little Brother program) and he really knew nothing about bb but he would have great fun doing things such as going to the other side of the arena to see if he could see me (he was 10 at the time). It wasn't long before he knew the names of players and had a favorite.

Iowa needs to do whatever they can to get fans into the seats...Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, Dubuque, even Des Moines is not that far away to travel to see games. Iowa should be putting out a full court advertising campaign to get people to games. Most of Iowa's population is in the eastern half...let people know they are wanted and they will come.

What I see happening is this team is figuring it out. By that I mean that it took awhile for this team to fit the pieces together with injuries, new players, etc. Also, I noticed in recent games and Jon pointed it out in his breakdown and that is Matt Gatens' scoring average. This is not to say Gatens isn't a good player, however, I don't think it is coincidence that he is taking a lesser role on the offensive end and in doing so Iowa has become that much more competitive.

Again, not a bash on Matt, but I think for this team to be successful, Matt's production offensively is right where it should be. He shouldn't be the primary scorer or even secondary scorer. I think it's best for the team if the Basabe's, Marble's, White's and Cartwright's are leading this team on the offensive end. Matt is a great defender and very good at rebounding. Add in his being able to hit the 3 ball and add a bucket here and there and he becomes a valuable 4th or 5th option, which I think is best for this team. Just a thought.

I think a great showing from the fans at this game will really help. Iowa is going to need all of the extra energy they can muster to come close to staying even on the glass.

Jon, fans that go also need to get off their hands, and not give those that do dirty looks. Yes three times this year I have been given dirty looks from older fans.

The last game was the Drake game there was a point in the game where the players were trying to get the fans into it, and nothing. I walked away from the game wanting to call up the administration, and ask if I could get into carver with a few thousand fans to practice cheering. I really think Iowa basketball fans of forgotten the importance of home filed advantage.

Ether way you can tell that some great fan support would go a long way this saturday! These kids are dying for some positive attention from Hawkeye fans. Think about it everyone of those kids since they set foot on campus have only heard how horrible Iowa basketball is. On the radio, in the papers, from peers. Think how energized they would be to know they were the ones to start to bring Iowa Basketball back.

I also think that the 3 game will start to open up. Teams have been over pressuring the arch in my opinion which has open up the paint opportunities. We have a couple of solid 3 point makers they just need more confidence, and breathing room.

What I see happening is this team is figuring it out. By that I mean that it took awhile for this team to fit the pieces together with injuries, new players, etc. Also, I noticed in recent games and Jon pointed it out in his breakdown and that is Matt Gatens' scoring average. This is not to say Gatens isn't a good player, however, I don't think it is coincidence that he is taking a lesser role on the offensive end and in doing so Iowa has become that much more competitive.

Again, not a bash on Matt, but I think for this team to be successful, Matt's production offensively is right where it should be. He shouldn't be the primary scorer or even secondary scorer. I think it's best for the team if the Basabe's, Marble's, White's and Cartwright's are leading this team on the offensive end. Matt is a great defender and very good at rebounding. Add in his being able to hit the 3 ball and add a bucket here and there and he becomes a valuable 4th or 5th option, which I think is best for this team. Just a thought.

Just missing one point: Gatens is this teams leader and he is stepping into that role. This is what the team was missing cole early on in the year. With his hard work on the floor he is leading by example. This is his most valuble asset to this team, well that and a few threes ;)

Latest posts