Hooker going Pro

Hooker leaving is a HUGE loss. HUGE.
And this is why IMO Bowl games should be treated as a scrimmage/prepare for the next season if not in a “major bowl” would’ve been huge to get the next in line or a few players real game time against an opponent in the Star.

You play to win but at the same time you also play with towards the future and rapid growth. I mean why not? You know what will need replaced going in and if need to get players real time at positions for next year beyond the bowl is absolutely perfect time to do this as in reality it means nothing (except more money for win total/bowl win bonus)

So why trot the same players whom have played 90% of the time all season long in an exhibition when you can let them rotate with players who are “next” throughout game. Have these players not practiced all year? Earned that right? Need the real reps to accelerate growth for the next year when will be depended upon?

It’s a nice mix of reward see how they perform against real completion that isn’t in a practice format. It baffles me why this isn’t/shouldn’t be done going forward. If Iowa is a development program why wouldn’t you give the next guys whom you’ll be completely dependent upon the live reps/game action in the bowl?

The Outback bowl does not get sell/close a commit. Saying if you come here and have put in the work we will play you a lot lore and sooner during blowouts and end of year reward you with game action in bowl game to younger athletes I think does/would.

Get ahead of this Kirk and let’s truly build towards the future and betterment of Iowa football.

And this is why IMO Bowl games should be treated as a scrimmage/prepare for the next season if not in a “major bowl” would’ve been huge to get the next in line or a few players real game time against an opponent in the Star.

You play to win but at the same time you also play with towards the future and rapid growth. I mean why not? You know what will need replaced going in and if need to get players real time at positions for next year beyond the bowl is absolutely perfect time to do this as in reality it means nothing (except more money for win total/bowl win bonus)

So why trot the same players whom have played 90% of the time all season long in an exhibition when you can let them rotate with players who are “next” throughout game. Have these players not practiced all year? Earned that right? Need the real reps to accelerate growth for the next year when will be depended upon?

It’s a nice mix of reward see how they perform against real completion that isn’t in a practice format. It baffles me why this isn’t/shouldn’t be done going forward. If Iowa is a development program why wouldn’t you give the next guys whom you’ll be completely dependent upon the live reps/game action in the bowl?

The Outback bowl does not get sell/close a commit. Saying if you come here and have put in the work we will play you a lot lore and sooner during blowouts and end of year reward you with game action in bowl game to younger athletes I think does/would.

Get ahead of this Kirk and let’s truly build towards the future and betterment of Iowa football.

This somewhat echoes my thoughts in another thread around the Outback Bowl. Unless you are in a playoff game, the relevance of the rest of the bowls has changed. Other than bragging rights, what’s the value of playing ... except to give your players more practice and playing time, experience of going some place (hopefully) warmer than a Midwest winter and more TV time?

So play the No 2’s and 3’s, the ones who you hope will fill crucial holes next year.

This somewhat echoes my thoughts in another thread around the Outback Bowl. Unless you are in a playoff game, the relevance of the rest of the bowls has changed. Other than bragging rights, what’s the value of playing ... except to give your players more practice and playing time, experience of going some place (hopefully) warmer than a Midwest winter and more TV time?

So play the No 2’s and 3’s, the ones who you hope will fill crucial holes next year.
The relevance of most bowl games hasn't really changed. Before there was a championship game, the national champion was based just on the polls. At best two, maybe three, bowl games were relevant to the determination of the national champion. The others were just rewards for good seasons; that is still the case. What's changed is the perspective of the media and fans, perhaps due in part to the proliferation of bowl games and what qualifies as a good season. 40 bowl games means 80 teams. I've never heard anyone brag about their team being in the "Top 80". The "value" of playing in a bowl game, which you've enumerated fairly well, for most teams has always been the same. Iowa's Rose Bowl games in '82, '86 and '91 are good examples, all were pre-National Championship game seasons.

I THINK there is some talent in the secondary. I also think the most of it is young and/or inexperienced. And finding a new free safety is paramount.

Geno has a very rough Outback Bowl and also broke down against Nebraska. Craddieth is adjusting very slowly this this level.

You don’t just plug and play somebody in replace of Hooker. And you’re way undervaluing his versatility that allowed him to thrive at the star position. That was crucial with the inexperience and health at LB, which will also be a position in need of improved play next year.
Next year's defense could take a sizable step back. I do trust PP to get it straightened out but how long will that take. It could be really shaky if Anthony Nelson leaves for the NFL draft too. We would have to replace our entire starting front 4, our MLB and both of our Safeties. That's a lot to ask without noticeable drop off.

Next year's defense could take a sizable step back. I do trust PP to get it straightened out but how long will that take. It could be really shaky if Anthony Nelson leaves for the NFL draft too. We would have to replace our entire starting front 4, our MLB and both of our Safeties. That's a lot to ask without noticeable drop off.
Geno Stone returns at safety and recall he was a starter when Hooker slid down to star. Did some nice things with 4 interceptions.

MLB I would actually expect improved play from that position next year. If we stick with the 4-2-5 look maybe Niemann slides in there. Welch I thought looked better than Hockaday prior to injury. Jayden McDonald was a pretty big recruit. Lots of options in the linebacking core. Hockaday did a good job this year but I don’t think he was anything above serviceable.

It’s easy to say we lose our 4 dlinemen but as us Hawkeye fans know the second four got plenty of snaps and arguably had more production. I wouldn’t be surprised if our run D takes a slight step back but I wouldn’t expect a big learning curve for these guys who have already played a ton of snaps the last two years.

Point being you’re correct we do lose some guys on the defense, but the counterpoint is there are proven players at many of those positions and legitimate reasons for optimism at some of the other spots.

Geno Stone returns at safety and recall he was a starter when Hooker slid down to star. Did some nice things with 4 interceptions.

MLB I would actually expect improved play from that position next year. If we stick with the 4-2-5 look maybe Niemann slides in there. Welch I thought looked better than Hockaday prior to injury. Jayden McDonald was a pretty big recruit. Lots of options in the linebacking core. Hockaday did a good job this year but I don’t think he was anything above serviceable.

It’s easy to say we lose our 4 dlinemen but as us Hawkeye fans know the second four got plenty of snaps and arguably had more production. I wouldn’t be surprised if our run D takes a slight step back but I wouldn’t expect a big learning curve for these guys who have already played a ton of snaps the last two years.

Point being you’re correct we do lose some guys on the defense, but the counterpoint is there are proven players at many of those positions and legitimate reasons for optimism at some of the other spots.
Starting Safeties most of the season - are gone.
Speculate about improved LB play all you want. We lose Hockaday. he was a starter.
If Anthony Nelson leaves, we will lose all 4 starters. I get that we had an 8 man rotation but we can just say that we lose HALF of our 8 man rotation and it's still a difficult thing to overcome. Especially when you consider the play of our 2nd line up. Getting that kind of production from the new 2nd line up won't be automatic.

Yeah it's situational. For some coaches winning bowls is huge for their resumes and incentivized contracts. So they play to win them. The grooming of the returning players is for sure a priority but it's not the #1 priority for most I bet.

Let's not kid ourselves. The reason for the new 4 game freshman rule is exactly to help counter or offset having guys leave early. You get to acess your players earlier.
Also let's not kid ourselves, while the NFL may be taking younger guys now out of need, when that need changes you will see guys slide so far down the draft it will make you sick.
It's still the same game and you have to be very careful.
What the 4 game rule does is allow you to judge talent earlier, thus have more time to develop it and thus sending them to the NFL earlier. Plain and simple.
Business.

Starting Safeties most of the season - are gone.
Speculate about improved LB play all you want. We lose Hockaday. he was a starter.
If Anthony Nelson leaves, we will lose all 4 starters. I get that we had an 8 man rotation but we can just say that we lose HALF of our 8 man rotation and it's still a difficult thing to overcome. Especially when you consider the play of our 2nd line up. Getting that kind of production from the new 2nd line up won't be automatic.
Iowa hasn’t always gone 8 deep on the Dline. You adjust to the roster you have. So while next years roster might take a step back in terms of depth, again they have plenty of experience. If Nixon is as good as advertised that group can be every bit as good as this years. My guess is Nelson returns.

What about areas where we would expect to see improvement? Do you ever expect improvement?

Cornerback group. We had a revolving door of starters this year due to injuries, four guys who started return. Imagine a full year of Hankins and Brents paired together. My guess is our CB play improves from the revolving door we saw this year.

What about improvements to guys like Colbert, Niemann, Stone, Golston. All guys that played big time roles this year as underclassmen. Is it possible that they will improve?

Again I get your point, we will have some losses that need to be overcome. We return quite a bit of experience in my opinion. My guess is PP will have another strong defense next year. We will likely go as far as Nate Stanley and the offense can take us.

Iowa hasn’t always gone 8 deep on the Dline. You adjust to the roster you have. So while next years roster might take a step back in terms of depth, again they have plenty of experience. If Nixon is as good as advertised that group can be every bit as good as this years. My guess is Nelson returns.

What about areas where we would expect to see improvement? Do you ever expect improvement?

Cornerback group. We had a revolving door of starters this year due to injuries, four guys who started return. Imagine a full year of Hankins and Brents paired together. My guess is our CB play improves from the revolving door we saw this year.

What about improvements to guys like Colbert, Niemann, Stone, Golston. All guys that played big time roles this year as underclassmen. Is it possible that they will improve?

Again I get your point, we will have some losses that need to be overcome. We return quite a bit of experience in my opinion. My guess is PP will have another strong defense next year. We will likely go as far as Nate Stanley and the offense can take us.
Of course I expect improvement. I'm just not going to believe the next Safety is going to step in and be as good as Hooker, without seeing some evidence. Same goes with every position on the team. And I look at the number of losses to the unit as a whole. It's easier to not take a step back as a defense, when you only have to replace 2 or 3 starters. When you have to replace 6 or 7, it becomes more likely that the defense will be worse. If you can show me proof to the contrary, I'm willing to listen.
Relying on the offense has never been a good idea here at Iowa, under KF. 2002 not withstanding.

Of course I expect improvement. I'm just not going to believe the next Safety is going to step in and be as good as Hooker, without seeing some evidence. Same goes with every position on the team. And I look at the number of losses to the unit as a whole. It's easier to not take a step back as a defense, when you only have to replace 2 or 3 starters. When you have to replace 6 or 7, it becomes more likely that the defense will be worse. If you can show me proof to the contrary, I'm willing to listen.
Relying on the offense has never been a good idea here at Iowa, under KF. 2002 not withstanding.
Nelson just declared.

Normally at a school like Iowa when you have to replace 6 or 7 starters you don’t have the experience behind them that we do. Hesse gets replaced by a 5 star who led the B1G in sacks. Hockaday was a fill in starter this year. IMO Welch looked every bit as good as him when healthy. M Nelson, Brinks, and Gevase were all solid players, but if I were ranking best players on our defense this year I don’t think they are in the top 5.

I’m not saying we are going to rely on offense next year. We had a top 15 level defense this year and I expect at the very least to be a top 25 level defense next year. The point is that we will go as far as the offense can take them led by a senior QB.

Nelson just declared.

Normally at a school like Iowa when you have to replace 6 or 7 starters you don’t have the experience behind them that we do. Hesse gets replaced by a 5 star who led the B1G in sacks. Hockaday was a fill in starter this year. IMO Welch looked every bit as good as him when healthy. M Nelson, Brinks, and Gevase were all solid players, but if I were ranking best players on our defense this year I don’t think they are in the top 5.

I’m not saying we are going to rely on offense next year. We had a top 15 level defense this year and I expect at the very least to be a top 25 level defense next year. The point is that we will go as far as the offense can take them led by a senior QB.
I don't think we'll crack the top 25 in defense next year. I think 30-40 range. All of these guys are replaceable. The question is, how long will it take the replacements to play at the same level? And how long will it take them to play together as a cohesive unit? How long has Brinks, Nelson, Hesse and Nelson been playing together, in game situations? 7 players is a lot of attrition to overcome in one off season. You're basically singing the same song that Wisconsin fans were signing in this past off-season. When most of their defense had to be replaced. How'd that work out for them? They fell from 3rd to 34th.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nelson just declared.

We're basically looking at a defense of
DE Gholston
DT Reiff
DT Lattimer
DE Epenesa
LB Colbert
LB Welsh
LB Neimann
CB OJ
S Stone
S ?
CB Hankins
There is quite a bit of experience there. You might be right. We could be OK. I still want to see it. The best part of having depth is when injuries strike.

I don't think we'll crack the top 25 in defense next year. I think 30-40 range. All of these guys are replaceable. The question is, how long will it take the replacements to play at the same level? And how long will it take them to play together as a cohesive unit? How long has Brinks, Nelson, Hesse and Nelson been playing together, in game situations? 7 players is a lot of attrition to overcome in one off season. You're basically singing the same song that Wisconsin fans were signing in this past off-season. When most of their defense had to be replaced. How'd that work out for them? They fell from 3rd to 34th.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Wisconsin was ravaged by injuries on defense including losing their NT (arguably the most important piece of their 3-4) and almost their entire secondary. By the bowl game they were starting as many as 6 freshman on their defense.

Iowa shouldn’t have that issue unless a major injury bug occurred. Iowa returns 8 players who have started multiple games in their careers, and that doesn’t include the B1G’s returning sack leader. We also add to the mix a former Bama recruit on the Dline.

We're basically looking at a defense of
DE Gholston
DT Reiff
DT Lattimer
DE Epenesa
LB Colbert
LB Welsh
LB Neimann
CB OJ
S Stone
S ?
CB Hankins
There is quite a bit of experience there. You might be right. We could be OK. I still want to see it. The best part of having depth is when injuries strike.
I like OJ to head back to safety and Brents to take over at Corner. DJ Johnson (former LSU offer) it sounded like was emerging after recovering from injury. He’s an option at Star, potentially safety, or nickel corner.

Wisconsin was ravaged by injuries on defense including losing their NT (arguably the most important piece of their 3-4) and almost their entire secondary. By the bowl game they were starting as many as 6 freshman on their defense.

Iowa shouldn’t have that issue unless a major injury bug occurred. Iowa returns 8 players who have started multiple games in their careers, and that doesn’t include the B1G’s returning sack leader. We also add to the mix a former Bama recruit on the Dline.
We had our share of injuries this season. Although none of them were season ending type of injuries. It's next to impossible to go an entire season without losing players to injury. It's going to happen. Just a matter of how many, how bad, etc.

Latest posts