Hooker going Pro

Wasn't sure if he was coming back or not, had no clue. His skill set is in big demand right now in the NFL so he has a great shot of being drafted early. Despite the Steeler lockerroom being a circus right now, hopefully you will continue to wear the black and gold.:)

This one was the most dreaded loss for us. The guy was our mvp on defense. With that being said I’m surprised he graded well enough to be drafted early. I think he’s going to be a stud but it didn’t seem like he got a lot of national attention

I too think this is the biggest loss. This kid was going to be an absolute monster for us next year. I was hoping that he was NFL fringe enough to stay. While I believe he is capable of the next step, I also believe he could benefit from a Senior year.

Furthermore the early entries that Iowa has sent to the NFL over the last few years is starting to turn from a recruiting benefit to a potential disaster. The timetable for development within the program has sped up by an entire year. While Iowa has seen a slight uptick in recruiting the Nervous Nancy in me is very concerned that it has not increased enough to lose 2 to 4 of your best players every year. It is hard to have faith that Iowa can continue to field teams that are able to compete with this amount of attrition.

I too think this is the biggest loss. This kid was going to be an absolute monster for us next year. I was hoping that he was NFL fringe enough to stay. While I believe he is capable of the next step, I also believe he could benefit from a Senior year.

Furthermore the early entries that Iowa has sent to the NFL over the last few years is starting to turn from a recruiting benefit to a potential disaster. The timetable for development within the program has sped up by an entire year. While Iowa has seen a slight uptick in recruiting the Nervous Nancy in me is very concerned that it has not increased enough to lose 2 to 4 of your best players every year. It is hard to have faith that Iowa can continue to field teams that are able to compete with this amount of attrition.

Hey it could be worse. AJ is the best pro prospect on the team. If it was allowed, he’d be gone too.

It’s just the reality of the new landscape in football. Good SR players (who were very productive prior to their SR year) will be a luxury going forward.

I would argue that T.J. would be a bigger loss, although he will likely declare as well.

Hooker was amazing, but we have a lot of guys in the secondary that can help us absorb his loss.

Adam's point is a good one, and it will be interesting to see how the staff deals with this. They may already be doing so in some respect as we are seeing more freshman getting playing time in the more recent years. Redshirting a guy may mean only getting him for 2 years on the field. From a PR standpoint, it's a good problem to have.

Amani really came on quickly, from a guy who at the start of last year looked like he'd be a contributor to someone who is leaving early for the NFL. I trust he has gotten enough feedback from the experts that he'd be a fairly high round draft pick to support coming out early. If not, another year in school to gain some certainty in a higher draft status might be worth the wait, as the pay for the first couple of rounds is substantial compared to the lower rounds. But I'm not faulting him if he thinks this is best for him.

Is it just me, or does it seem like more guys are leaving early? And, is this the beginning of there being a further scaling back of how long these guys have to stay in school before declaring for the draft? Perhaps even a lawsuit that challenges the 3 year requirement? If there is a relaxation of the 3 year rule, I think it would make sense to give these guys a chance to be evaluated for draft status without affecting their eligibility, like the NBA/NCAA allow for basketball.

Good for Amani. Hate to see him go, but he’s as skilled as any safety I’ve seen at Iowa (since Bob Commings era). Not the big hitter that Bob Sanders was, but an uncanny tackling ability AND great ball skills. I wish him health and longevity in the league. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t thrive. This one hurts. Next man in.

I would argue that T.J. would be a bigger loss, although he will likely declare as well.

Hooker was amazing, but we have a lot of guys in the secondary that can help us absorb his loss.

I essentially agree. Having both T.J. and Fant out with a big drop off in talent behind them at TE. Combine that with wide receiver being a perennial weak point on the team. Receiver will be better next year, but how much better. I also don't think Stanley is all that good at hitting his outside receivers, he tends to be a little too inaccurate and his timing a bit off throwing to the outside guys.

The defense has options behind Hooker. Maybe it's back to a linebacker covering the slot guy. It's a step back, but not the worst of the teams issues.

Brents, Stone, Hankins, Ojiemudia, etc. should be able to keep our secondary well above average. Plus guys like Johnson and Craddieth should be ready to contribute.

Adam's point is a good one, and it will be interesting to see how the staff deals with this. They may already be doing so in some respect as we are seeing more freshman getting playing time in the more recent years. Redshirting a guy may mean only getting him for 2 years on the field. From a PR standpoint, it's a good problem to have.

Amani really came on quickly, from a guy who at the start of last year looked like he'd be a contributor to someone who is leaving early for the NFL. I trust he has gotten enough feedback from the experts that he'd be a fairly high round draft pick to support coming out early. If not, another year in school to gain some certainty in a higher draft status might be worth the wait, as the pay for the first couple of rounds is substantial compared to the lower rounds. But I'm not faulting him if he thinks this is best for him.

Is it just me, or does it seem like more guys are leaving early? And, is this the beginning of there being a further scaling back of how long these guys have to stay in school before declaring for the draft? Perhaps even a lawsuit that challenges the 3 year requirement? If there is a relaxation of the 3 year rule, I think it would make sense to give these guys a chance to be evaluated for draft status without affecting their eligibility, like the NBA/NCAA allow for basketball.

This is very possible. Of course Clarett and Mike Williams tried it about 15 years ago and the NFL somehow won. I'm not sure how they did it.

But the NFL so incredibly powerful and influential it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to keep the 3 year rule in place. Plus they are in tune with the NCAA. The rules helps both organizations. The NCAA gets to keep its top players for at least 3 years while the NFL gets 3 years to evaluate prospects. Basically the NCAA acts as a free minor league that the NFL loves.

The NBA and NCAA don't have that that type of relationship. The NBA wants those top prospects as soon as possible and they have their own minor/developmental league they want to see flourish.

This is very possible. Of course Clarett and Mike Williams tried it about 15 years ago and the NFL somehow won. I'm not sure how they did it.

I have no idea how the NFL won that lawsuit. The NFL and NBA are both monopsonies (the only legitimate buyers of services in their respective markets) and their stated reasons for the delayed entry rules are completely farcical. The reason for the rules is simply to give scouts a look to shift risk to the sellers of services (i.e., the kids). It's laughable if the NFL actually thinks a guy like Trevor Lawrence or AJE can't be drafted into the NFL until they are three years removed from school. Those guys aren't going to magically be ready by waiting some arbitrary period.

Hooker leaving is a HUGE loss. HUGE.
Heard from a guy on the inside that Barta has been on the phone with China trying to figure out it if it would be better to just fold the football program and sell the steel and aluminum in Kinnick for scrap or keep going and hope for the best.

It's a big loss, but we'll be fine. Next man in, bruh. Next man in.

Latest posts