Honesty hour.

ottoman89

Two things I notice watching other teams, that I miss watching Iowa.

1. Tenacity.

2. Confidence/Swagger

Early in the year, we had a little.. but never much. It just seems like when we get going against more physical teams, we start getting pushed around and lose our edge. We can't play chippy like the Michigan States, Wisconsins, Michigans, ect..

Do you think it's a matter of who we recruit, or currently have as leaders? Or simply we're not coached that way and are meant to be more finesse?

Two things I notice watching other teams, that I miss watching Iowa.

1. Tenacity.

2. Confidence/Swagger

Early in the year, we had a little.. but never much. It just seems like when we get going against more physical teams, we start getting pushed around and lose our edge. We can't play chippy like the Michigan States, Wisconsins, Michigans, ect..

Do you think it's a matter of who we recruit, or currently have as leaders? Or simply we're not coached that way and are meant to be more finesse?

You could add "intensity" to that list. Too may skinny guys that can run... no toughness

That's what I'm getting it. I mean, we have a nice nucleus of players.. however, I just feel as if in a game like this, we would have crumbled and it quickly would have gotten out of hand, we'd blink and be down by 10+. We just can't hang with teams that want to get physica.

That's what I'm getting it. I mean, we have a nice nucleus of players.. however, I just feel as if in a game like this, we would have crumbled and it quickly would have gotten out of hand, we'd blink and be down by 10+. We just can't hang with teams that want to get physica.

Iowa has no physical players like I've seen the past week of the tourney. Every team has at least one very physical player. Iowa has NONE.

You could add "intensity" to that list. Too may skinny guys that can run... no toughness

This. Iowa needs some wide bodies (260 6'10 +) at the power forward/center position. Iowa also needs a couple of reliable perimeter shooters and more or less a team full of free-throw shooters in the clutch.

Plus a team that is committed to playing with correct fundamentals with half court defense in man and zone. And a half court offense that will feed the post players the ball.

Lol , michigan and wisconsin both start 4 gaurds, iowa started two 4s and a 5.

Do we really need to get bigger or do we need to stop playing 3 guys who cant shoot beyond 6 inches or handle the ball all at the same time?

This. Iowa needs some wide bodies (260 6'10 +) at the power forward/center position. Iowa also needs a couple of reliable perimeter shooters and more or less a team full of free-throw shooters in the clutch.

Plus a team that is committed to playing with correct fundamentals with half court defense in man and zone. And a half court offense that will feed the post players the ball.

6'10" 260? Good god, man.

Iowa has no physical players like I've seen the past week of the tourney. Every team has at least one very physical player. Iowa has NONE.

Totally agree. Iowa just gets pushed around in the second half. Even if Iowa played 20 emaciated apparitions, it wouldn't matter. We need some straight up goons :)

Lol , michigan and wisconsin both start 4 gaurds, iowa started two 4s and a 5.

Do we really need to get bigger or do we need to stop playing 3 guys who cant shoot beyond 6 inches or handle the ball all at the same time?
Well, if we stop playing 3 guys who can't shoot beyond 6 inches then aren't we losing some physicality?

We desperately need to get bigger, stronger.. we're already fast. We just need a guy or two that can come in and push around with the other teams and do the dirty jobs.

More or less....the point is get some beef in there. 245-260 whatever.....and some height above 6 10 to around 6 11. A good sized compacted power-forward. But, really, I would like to see above 250.

You can't have a team full of tooth picks. Just a guy or two that can throw their weight around.....instead of always watching those other wide teams do it to us.

Last edited:
If you start nailing 3pt shots at an expert clip you are going to have some swagger.

Those Uconn guards are feeling it so they have swagger.

Wisky's and Mich's shooters are in a groove so they are confident and have swagger.

If jok and oglesby and uhtoff were hot and consistent for a 10-15 game stretch they would have swagger and I guarantee you we would win 13 or 14 of those 15 games.

It is a simple algorithm, you shoot better you score more points and you play better dee you give up less points and you get pumped and have swagger which = wins.

That is exactly what Michigan plays in the middle. Morgan is listed as 6'8" & 250. Horford is listed as 6'10" & 250. If you believe that either one of them is only two-fifty, I've got some prime ocean front property in Nevada for sale. It'll be worth a fortune when California falls into the sea.

Coach McCaffery needs to put all the players on the Paleo diet.

Florida's Patric Young attributes much of his gain in strength to sticking to the Paleo Diet Plan.

10976871.jpg

If we held on the lead late vs Tennessee, were probably in the sweet 16 and none of these topics exist. Honestly, people are looking too far into personnel as an issue. The pre-February Iowa team beats that Tennessee team by double digits. Basabe had zero points. Mike Gesell had zero points. Just a flukey end to the year.

Strong hands when rebounding. How many times did a ball slip away or get tapped out by someone? Over and over and over....

And what the h3ll ever happened to a person following their shot and getting an offensive rebound?? I see a launch today and the shooter is immediately back-peddling. I guess the up temp has caused that, but, get an offensive rebound or two, and that gets negated.

Finally, while on a rant, why is it necessary to slap skin with the FT shooter after each and every 1st/2nd attempt....regardless of if the shot was good or not? Needs to go away.

Latest posts