Honest question about our RB's

loesshillshawk

Is there something we do differently with our RB's that are leading to all these knee injuries? You don't seem to hear of all these injuries at other D1 programs. A some point I think you have to question what is going on. I know sometimes it is linked to weight training and strengthening you hamstring or quadricep disproportionately to each other. Just curious if any experts have a clue?

No expert here but I think it is just one of the weirdest, most unexplainable coincedences I have ever seen.

It'd be nearly impossible to prove any real meaningful correlation for ACL injuries. Too many factors in play.

Statistically speaking, ACL injuries are morecommon for anyone who regularly changes direction at high speeds. RBs would seem to fit that bill. Around 70% of ACL tears are non-contact.

There are a variety of exercises, stretches & plyometrics that help improve neuromuscular conditioning and muscular reactions, which ultimately can help prevent an injury. I've seen Iowa do a variety of these exercises & don't think there really is any big omission there. Probably just a statistical anomaly,or AIRBHG, take your pick.

Is there something we do differently with our RB's that are leading to all these knee injuries? You don't seem to hear of all these injuries at other D1 programs. A some point I think you have to question what is going on. I know sometimes it is linked to weight training and strengthening you hamstring or quadricep disproportionately to each other. Just curious if any experts have a clue?

Isn't this only the second RB to have an ACL injury(Hampton)? 3 ACL's since 2004 doesn't seem like that many to me.

Last edited:
Plus you have to think of this, there are how many 3-5 RB's on the team and practicing any given year. So if there's one every other year or so that's around 1/10. Plus Iowa employs running backs more, and they're probably working harder here than at other programs.

Plus when its the #1 or #2 guy, he's probably getting a lot more reps and working harder, so he's certainly more likely to get injured compared to the 6th string getting just a handful of reps in practice.

Isn't this only the second RB to have an ACL injury(Hampton)? 3 ACL's since 2004 doesn't seem like that many to me.

That's what I was thinking. It's not ACL that are keeping our RBs from competing. Just 2 players had ACL injuries (Hampton x 2 and Canzeri).

It a variety of things over past 7 years; grades (A-Rob, C. Robertson, Bailey), concussion (A-Rob), hash pipe (A-Rob) student code violation (Coker), broken ankle (McCall), transfers (Brinson, Robinson, Wegher, Coker, Hampton, Pugh, Guillory), heart condition (Rogers), ACL (Canzeri, Hampton x2), early NFL (Greene), assault (Brown),

That's because you aren't on other D1 program message boards. If Arizona's sophomore RB that didn't start a game other than the bowl game last year had torn his ACL do you think you'd even know about it? I realize everyone is frustrated with the RB attrition and wants to find someone to blame but it's just straight up bad luck.

It really is mind boggling how much bad luck we've had with running backs the last decade. I've never seen anything like it, at any position, at any other school, ever. Our running backs legitimately seem cursed. The ones that do stay healthy for an entire season have one huge year, and then leave for whatever reason. (Greene to the draft and Coker transferring)

how close do you follow other teams? i'm guessing other teams go thru this as well, but hard to hear about everything. How many people outside of Iowa would pay attention to Canzeri tearing his ACL? Totally off the radar.

There's definately a curse with Iowa RBs. Time to bring in the medicine man, rabbi, and/or a priest, and do a ceremony blessing/exorcism. The unexplained is always in the spirit world.

Ferentz has addressed this question previously. He stated that they had looked at everything they did top to bottom even had people from the outside look at how they were running their program to see if any specific cause for the injuries could be identified weight training, practice, equipment, field surface, etc. He said they found nothing. Who knows.

Wasn't questioning anyone...just wondered why our RB position has such a curse...and yes the women's team has a ton of them!

Latest posts