Honest ? for wrestling experts

Hooper

I know nothing at all about wrestling but sure enjoy watching the Hawks. My question is about the Penn St coach. It appears to me he sits and quietly watches, saying nothing. He does not seem to be even interested in the matches and certainly does not seem to be doing any coaching. Is this correct? Am I missing something here? He just looks like he would rather be somewhere else. I didn't think most of his team seemed very fired up either.

On the other hand Brands is emotionally invested in the matches. Often yells instruction or encouragement. Quite the contrast.

Dealing with different styles.

Cael does his teaching prior to their match and the days leading up to the match. When they step onto the mat it's on them to execute. Nothing wrong with that.

Brands on the other hand is totally engaged.

Last edited:
Yep, good observations. Cael is a tremendous recruiter and can get guys into his program. His best recruiting class will come in next year, to go along with a bunch of guys that he redshirted this year.

As for his mat side conduct, last night was typically for him. Does not do much during the match. On the other hand, the Iowa staff is a lot more active. I am sure that they learned from watching Barry Davis when he was Gable's top assistant. Barry would dance all over the floor during a match.

Latest posts