Homer Info

CAARHawk

Banned
Homer: Do you know who is gone from the 2009 recruiting class? I know Schiavonne was the first to go. But I read a blog post that said there is already a fair amount of attrition from that class.

Do you know who else?

the others are: Stephane Ngoumou, WR- I believe he didn't qualify; Matt Murphy, OL - quit the team; Josh Brown wr/rb/S - transferred; TYler Harrell DE/DT - transferred

2008 had a good share too - Demarco Paine WR/CB - grades; David Blackwell - athlete; David Cato - transfer; Jason Semmes - DE, transferred; Nate Guillory -RB transferred; Khalif Staten LB - transferred; Jeff Brinson RB - transferred; and Shane Prater Wr - transfer.

2008 had a good share too - Demarco Paine WR/CB - grades; David Blackwell - athlete; David Cato - transfer; Jason Semmes - DE, transferred; Nate Guillory -RB transferred; Khalif Staten LB - transferred; Jeff Brinson RB - transferred; and Shane Prater Wr - transfer.

It happens to every team. Once they see the competition and the fact that its no longer a high school game, they panic and can't get over the hump. I would not be suprised if we lose one or two more before fall. Personality plays a big part as well. When you are no longer king of your court, you look for greener pastures.

It happens to every team. Once they see the competition and the fact that its no longer a high school game, they panic and can't get over the hump. I would not be suprised if we lose one or two more before fall. Personality plays a big part as well. When you are no longer king of your court, you look for greener pastures.

Are you sure this is it? There often is a lot of transfer/flunks amongst general student populations in the first year for various factors. Makes sense that kids coming from all across the country and playing football with have adjustment/grades problem. A few might see the depth chart and think they are not getting playing time, but its bit unfair to label all these kids as quitters.

the others are: Stephane Ngoumou, WR- I believe he didn't qualify; Matt Murphy, OL - quit the team; Josh Brown wr/rb/S - transferred; TYler Harrell DE/DT - transferred

CAAR - chr4hawks nailed it. However, I believe that Murphy was actually kicked off the team rather than quit the team.

In the short term, I'd probably say that Ngoumou's not qualifying and Harrell's departure were the biggest losses. If you look at our depth at WR and DE, it is rather top heavy ... thus, we'll likely feel the transition that much more in 2011.

Also, kind of as a general rule, I actually do believe that Iowa suffers a bit more from attrition than most schools do. And, I think that part of that is due to the fact that not every kid has the work ethic that it takes to succeed at Iowa. Furthermore, a good number of out-of-state guys, particularly from talent-rich football states (e.g. Ohio, Texas, Florida), often expect that they'll be able to make an immediate splash at Iowa ... and then they face a rude awakening that the in-state kids and those kids from adjoining states (South Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, and Missouri) and also exceptionally good and can usually more than hold their own.

Sorry, not to hijack this thread but Homer I see your location is Lincoln, when did you move from Illini country? You should have just stopped in Iowa City since you left Champaign to go to Lincoln.

Are you sure this is it? There often is a lot of transfer/flunks amongst general student populations in the first year for various factors. Makes sense that kids coming from all across the country and playing football with have adjustment/grades problem. A few might see the depth chart and think they are not getting playing time, but its bit unfair to label all these kids as quitters.
It certainly isn't the only factor. But I have seen 18 years olds that get a quick slap in the face with reality that change their views quickly. Flunking, home sickness, girl friends, everything contributes. Remember in a lot of cases, these kids haven't been out of the state they are from let alone thousands of miles away. I feel for student athletes that have the toughest 4-5 years of their life in front of them. How many adults take transfers across the country only to find out that it just wasn't a good fit. I had it happen in my family with a 35 year old making solid six figures with a Fortune 500 company. 6 months in he decided to bring his family back to Iowa. Just saying.

I was a little upset when Josh Brown and Tyler Harrell transferred. They werent going to be rockstars or anything like that, just thought maybe they would be able to contribute for the next man in.

It certainly isn't the only factor. But I have seen 18 years olds that get a quick slap in the face with reality that change their views quickly. Flunking, home sickness, girl friends, everything contributes. Remember in a lot of cases, these kids haven't been out of the state they are from let alone thousands of miles away. I feel for student athletes that have the toughest 4-5 years of their life in front of them. How many adults take transfers across the country only to find out that it just wasn't a good fit. I had it happen in my family with a 35 year old making solid six figures with a Fortune 500 company. 6 months in he decided to bring his family back to Iowa. Just saying.

Rad - I think this is it more than anything. Remember, these guys are 17-18 year olds and likely the first time away from home, and they just can't go home for the weekend. Also, when you are that age, time seems forever and decision making sometimes isn't the best. It can get pretty lonely sitting in that dorm room thinking of home.

Latest posts