Holiday Bowl

My wife and I typically visit her parents who live in SoCal every Christmas, so I've been to the previous 3 Holiday Bowls. Always had great seats because a one of my good friend's Dad was a member of the San Diego Chamber of Commerce. Don't remember much about the stadium other than the seats were pretty darn close to the field back then. All the games were exciting...am guessing this year's will be too. We're flying out a day after the game this year, but my son & his wife who are UI alum live in the Bay Area and they'll be going to the game for sure. A real bummer that the BTen is ending a really good West Coast Bowl for those of us with ties in that part of the country. There are A LOT of Hawks fans living in CA. Giving up the Holiday and keeping the Pinstripe Bowl -- I mean, what's up with that?

A couple of the NY6 bowl games are head-scratchers. Why didn't they have FL play Penn St. -- a game that would be interesting to watch for the entire eastern seaboard and BTen country. Then let Memphis play Virginia, because nobody cares about those teams anyway. Instead, they take interest out of both the FL AND the PSU game. On the other hand, the Alabama-Michigan game will be a doozie, and the Oregon-Wisconsin game should also be high quality.

This whole things is effed up and doesn’t make any sense. Why do you have two top twenty teams (Iowa and Notre Dame) not playing each other instead of playing one top twenty-five team and one Unranked team. Something smells here............. bad!

Our two big wins for the year 7-5 Iowa State and the fairyland gophers who of it weren’t for officiating on Penn State’s last drive would not have beaten ANYONE.

I called it when I said the gophers would lose three games against the only true competition they faced all year. They are a fools gold football team.

That’s why it was important that Iowa play a top fifteen ranked team in a bowl game. To show and prove just how good they are. Unless we clobber USC it will prove nothing. When was the last time we clobbered anyone with a pulse??? Count on a close game because our defense is very good and our offense is offensive (like a fart).

Now if your tired of the winter and just want to get into some warmer weather there you go. I hope you and family and friends have a good time and travel safely.

I just think Iowa taking on the golden domers would have been a great matchup.

Good bowl. The only bad thing is that it's on FS1, which limits the eyes that'll see it.

Last year's Holiday Bowl had Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt in the booth.
Best college football broadcasting team, by far.

Iowa is going to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.
They named it San Diego, which of course, in German, means a whale’s vagina.
ELSr8qQWoAENm7a

Those of you who are head-scratching over the bowls, fear not.
You join a long lineage of college FB fans who do the same thing every year. And have been since the expansion in the 80s.

It's about butts in seats, chamber of commerce dollars and TV viewers. Nothing else matters.

The whole bowl process is convoluted, chaotic, saturated and is simply greedy in nature.

Am I the only one that doesn't like this match-up? I like the bowl, but hate the opponent... It's a no-win situation. Beat USC and we get no credit because "they're not the USC of old". Lose to them, and we were overrated because we couldn't beat "not the USC of old"!

nobody outside of Iowa and a few USC fans care. Seriously, its a tiny blip on the college football landscape.

I remember this one, we were supposed to roll the Cougars. In the first quarter wee were having our way with BYU and the announcers said BYU has decided they can't match up with us physically so they started throwing the kitchen sink at us, sending multiple guys on blitzed every play and we didn't respond well and got shut down.

It appeared BYU was driving for the go ahead score at the end of the game to win and Carlos James intercepted the last collegiate pass of Ty Detmer to preserve the tie.
I always felt the '91 team was the most underrated of Hayden's teams. Better than the Rose Bowl team of the year before.
10-1 regular season & #7 ranking at the end of the regular season.
Only loss to B10 champ Michigan.
Obviously should have been in a 'major' NY day bowl but the B10 had some weird bowl commitment in '91. If I recall, the #2 B10 team was committed to the Holiday Bowl that year - and only that year. Most fans wanted Iowa & Hayden in the Cotton Bowl, and felt they were screwed by this one-off arrangement.

First Holiday Bowl since '91, yes?

13-13 tie vs Ty Detmer and BYU. I remember being disappointed because I thought Iowa would roll those guys. They were 10-1 and ranked #7 going in IIRC.

Better luck this time HAWKS!

Leroy Smith went down, missed the second half. BYU run-blitzed the whole second half. Mike Saunders broke a medium-long near the end, I thought we MIGHT get a FG to win it. Glad ties are no longer.

I always felt the '91 team was the most underrated of Hayden's teams. Better than the Rose Bowl team of the year before.
Obviously should have been in a 'major' NY day bowl but the B10 had some weird bowl commitment in '91. If I recall, the #2 B10 team was committed to the Holiday Bowl that year - and only that year. Most fans wanted Iowa & Hayden in the Cotton Bowl, and felt they were screwed by this one-off arrangement.

That was the only year? I thought the Holiday Bowl got the 2nd choice of Big Ten teams for all 4 of those years. They got Ohio State in 93, they were the co-champ with Wisconsin and the Badgers got sent to the Rose Bowl.

FG kicking and Special teams really cost Iowa in that era.

In that game against Michigan in 1991, Iowa was 18-7 early because of a missing extra point and they started chasing points.

In the bowl game, Skillet missed an extra point and a shanked a 40 yard FG attempt with 4 minutes left.

This whole things is effed up and doesn’t make any sense. Why do you have two top twenty teams (Iowa and Notre Dame) not playing each other instead of playing one top twenty-five team and one Unranked team. Something smells here............. bad!
ND has two losses and zero conference affiliations, so they get what they get. This is gonna be a great recruiting tool for ISU and has got to be a huge disappointment for the Irish. ND is really in a no-win situation for this game.

You've never been to a stadium ever I take it. I can name 5 in the B1G worst than this
I've never been to a stadium?? If you go back and re-read what I typed (try hard not to move your lips while reading) I said "might be" as in... your comment might be the lamest comment I've read on here all year.
San Diego has so many great things to see and do and of course the weather is unbeatable, but the stadium is pathetic.

Last edited:

Latest posts