HN TV: Top Iowa Recruiting Target David Bell Discusses Hawkeyes

Glad to hear he was in the house to watch the Hawks toss the ball around on the Hoosiers. Sure can't hurt our chances. Sounded like OSU may not be much of a factor. Could be down to getting him to leave his home state?

Every time I see this kid I'm reminded that we are one receiver like him away from a potential powerhouse offense. I want this kid as bad as anyone since Seantrel Henderson. Damn we need to bring this one home.

Considering our record landing notables at that position, I know where my vote is.

A quality option B doesn't seem to have presented itself at this point either. Guess we haven't convinced many candidates that we're now known as Passing University. In all seriousness it would appear we have some quality QB's in the pipeline that would seem to be an attraction for a good WR. Maybe a double digit win season will shake a few loose.........maybe.

Considering our record landing notables at that position, I know where my vote is.

A quality option B doesn't seem to have presented itself at this point either. Guess we haven't convinced many candidates that we're now known as Passing University. In all seriousness it would appear we have some quality QB's in the pipeline that would seem to be an attraction for a good WR. Maybe a double digit win season will shake a few loose.........maybe.

WR is a position that attracts people who like to shine. They encourage and embrace the spotlight. Alot even crave it. Most college programs stroke a WR's ego to sway him. Even PSU. Case in point, Franklin telling Bell that he is an instant game changer at PSU. We all know this is horse shit. Just last cycle Penn St recruited the #1 WR in the country (per 247). Not to mention two 4* top 150 WR's as well. This cycle they already have a WR commitment from a 4* ranked 2 spots higher at WR than Bell. Why would Penn St tell this kid he is an instant star? Well because they think or know that is what he wants to hear.

Iowa doesn't blow smoke. We are not a fluffer for WR's therefore the best of them go to the schools whispering them sweet nothings. Just look at Oliver Martin. Talk about getting duped.

I think it goes much deeper than saying sweet things. I would guess Bell is smarter than that. Saying most college programs stroke a WR's ego to sway them is an over generalization.

There are likely different elements of each program that have attracted Bell to naming his finalists. He just needs to make up his mind as to which are most important to him.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we have a legit chance with him. We have a couple of his HS buddies tugging on him hard. We have a pro style offense that'll get him ready to go. We have a depth chart where he'll be able to play early and often. I just think we have a lot going our way. Not to mention Stanley for next yr and beyond that a couple other good QBs.

Purdue is throwing it all over the place sure. But is their coach going to be there in 2 or 3 yrs? Not so sure about that and does their offense translate to getting receivers ready for pro ball?

PSU, I just don't think that RPO style suites him and I don't think he'd play as much early on.

So call me an optimistic homer but I think we have a lot going for us and if we ever had a chance at a kid like him the stars seemed to be aligned for it to happen.

I don't sense that he's made up his mind, FWIW. I think he's wanting to take his officials and use them to decide. He may wait until February to sign.

I think it goes much deeper than saying sweet things. I would guess Bell is smarter than that. Saying most college programs stroke a WR's ego to sway them is an over generalization.

There are likely different elements of each program that have attracted Bell to naming his finalists. He just needs to make up his mind as to which are most important to him.

I promise you that the recruiting of top WR's is not over generalized. Again I am not talking about every WR recruit, but specifically the top 30 or so. They get the full snow job from most programs. Even when they are smart they fall for this stuff because they hear it from multiple coaches.

WR is a position that attracts people who like to shine. They encourage and embrace the spotlight. Alot even crave it. Most college programs stroke a WR's ego to sway him. Even PSU. Case in point, Franklin telling Bell that he is an instant game changer at PSU. We all know this is horse shit. Just last cycle Penn St recruited the #1 WR in the country (per 247). Not to mention two 4* top 150 WR's as well. This cycle they already have a WR commitment from a 4* ranked 2 spots higher at WR than Bell. Why would Penn St tell this kid he is an instant star? Well because they think or know that is what he wants to hear.

Iowa doesn't blow smoke. We are not a fluffer for WR's therefore the best of them go to the schools whispering them sweet nothings. Just look at Oliver Martin. Talk about getting duped.
Oliver Martin is going to do his graduate year at Iowa watch. And shine as the slot receiver

He has like 80 yds for the year.
As a RS freshman with some pretty darn good receivers ahead of him. Just because he isn't tearing it up right away doesn't mean anything. Just getting some significant PT at this stage is pretty darn impressive. It's too early either way to go judging how he'll do. So we'll see.

As a RS freshman with some pretty darn good receivers ahead of him. Just because he isn't tearing it up right away doesn't mean anything. Just getting some significant PT at this stage is pretty darn impressive. It's too early either way to go judging how he'll do. So we'll see.

No judgement. Just stating what I thought I remembered seeing for his stats.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we have a legit chance with him. We have a couple of his HS buddies tugging on him hard. We have a pro style offense that'll get him ready to go. We have a depth chart where he'll be able to play early and often. I just think we have a lot going our way. Not to mention Stanley for next yr and beyond that a couple other good QBs.

Purdue is throwing it all over the place sure. But is their coach going to be there in 2 or 3 yrs? Not so sure about that and does their offense translate to getting receivers ready for pro ball?

PSU, I just don't think that RPO style suites him and I don't think he'd play as much early on.

So call me an optimistic homer but I think we have a lot going for us and if we ever had a chance at a kid like him the stars seemed to be aligned for it to happen.

I don't think he makes a huge team impact at PSU; even if he is elite, that is only a slight upgrade over what they already have.

I think he makes a world of difference to either Purdue or Iowa.

At Purdue, that probably means putting up video-game numbers and helping them rise to a legit West Division contender. I agree with you about the Brohm effect, and what are the odds he is there for the next 4 years?

At Iowa, that probably means being part of a scary-balanced offense and helping to elevate Iowa to a West Division favorite and a realistic CFP contender. It also means playing in a pro-style offense that improves his draft-stock.

He has got some very good options; if he doesn't choose Iowa, I hope for PSU because I am not sure how anyone is going to defend a combination of Rondale Moore and David Bell.

I don't think he makes a huge team impact at PSU; even if he is elite, that is only a slight upgrade over what they already have.

I think he makes a world of difference to either Purdue or Iowa.

At Purdue, that probably means putting up video-game numbers and helping them rise to a legit West Division contender. I agree with you about the Brohm effect, and what are the odds he is there for the next 4 years?

At Iowa, that probably means being part of a scary-balanced offense and helping to elevate Iowa to a West Division favorite and a realistic CFP contender. It also means playing in a pro-style offense that improves his draft-stock.

He has got some very good options; if he doesn't choose Iowa, I hope for PSU because I am not sure how anyone is going to defend a combination of Rondale Moore and David Bell.
Yeah the kid is in the drivers seat really... If I'm Iowas coaches I don't see it being out of bounds to point out to him that Brohm was one foot out the door to TN just last off season. It's a 100% certainty that he won't be there in 4 yrs I'll be shocked if he's still there in 2 years frankly. Purdue isn't a destination gig for a guy like him he's got much higher aspirations. He feels like a pro coach to me in fact. But no matter what any recruit he brings in he won't be at their graduation...

Latest posts