HN TV: Ben Kueter Opening Game Clips

Such an interesting prospect. Talking extremes of possibilities, I could see him never taking a snap for the Hawks and going on to be a national champion and gold medalist wrestler. I could see him becoming the next Jack Campbell. Or I could see him becoming the next Matt Roth.

The wrestling thing, and the massive jump in weight classes from 197 to 285, throws another wrinkle in there. He definitely can't be a 197 lb linebacker (I suppose realistically he could play at 210 and cut to 197), but he also probably can't be a 230 lb HWT wrestler. Does that mean he has to really bulk if he wants to do both, probably forcing him toward DE?

The wrestling thing, and the massive jump in weight classes from 197 to 285, throws another wrinkle in there. He definitely can't be a 197 lb linebacker (I suppose realistically he could play at 210 and cut to 197), but he also probably can't be a 230 lb HWT wrestler. Does that mean he has to really bulk if he wants to do both, probably forcing him toward DE?
The trend in collegiate wrestling is going to lighter heavyweights. It used to be the standard that maximum weight was always better, but not anymore.

Gable Steveson wrestled most of his heavyweight career at 245, and he's the best who's ever done it. Cassioppi has trimmed down to 245 ish from 275.

Coaches and wrestlers have figured out that they can use athleticism, cardio, and increased quickness to outdo heavier, slower guys. If Ben Keuter wrestles in college he's going to do it at heavyweight.

In all honesty Keuter needs to pick one sport or he's never going to realize his potential in either one. It's just not possible today...look what happened to McCaffery and Brecht. If he wrestles he's only going to be able to do half a schedule, because football will eat up everything up to and including the Midlands, and Big Ten duals start right away in January. Jumping into Big Ten schedule with no matches or tourneys leading up to it isn't gonna work. Brands isn't gonna just drop him in as the HWT starter when he hasn't seen him wrestle at all against decent competition.

As far as football, we all know that it's a 365 day a year job from the time you set foot on campus. Nutrition, workouts, weight monitoring, etc...it's all 365/24 if you want to be on the 2 deeps.

Last edited:
The trend in collegiate wrestling is going to lighter heavyweights. It used to be the standard that maximum weight was always better, but not anymore.

Gable Steveson wrestled most of his heavyweight career at 245, and he's the best who's ever done it. Cassioppi has trimmed down to 245 ish from 275.

Coaches and wrestlers have figured out that they can use athleticism, cardio, and increased quickness to outdo heavier, slower guys. If Ben Keuter wrestles in college he's going to do it at heavyweight.

In all honesty Keuter needs to pick one sport or he's never going to realize his potential in either one. It's just not possible today...look what happened to McCaffery and Brecht. If he wrestles he's only going to be able to do half a schedule, because football will eat up everything up to and including the Midlands, and Big Ten duals start right away in January. Jumping into Big Ten schedule with no matches or tourneys leading up to it isn't gonna work. Brands isn't gonna just drop him in as the HWT starter when he hasn't seen him wrestle at all against decent competition.

As far as football, we all know that it's a 365 day a year job from the time you set foot on campus. Nutrition, workouts, weight monitoring, etc...it's all 365/24 if you want to be on the 2 deeps.

Is Steveson really only 245ish? I would have guessed bigger. That is a guy I would love to see on the FB field.

So if you have to pick a sport, where do you go? NFL is more money, but lots of guys play in the NFL. Not that many people have Olympic gold medals. Heck, for him the ability to be awesome in both sports, even though that might prevent him from reaching his absolute potential in either sport, might be the challenge that revs his engine.

Whatever he chooses, I will be interested to see the results!

Is Steveson really only 245ish? I would have guessed bigger. That is a guy I would love to see on the FB field.

So if you have to pick a sport, where do you go? NFL is more money, but lots of guys play in the NFL. Not that many people have Olympic gold medals. Heck, for him the ability to be awesome in both sports, even though that might prevent him from reaching his absolute potential in either sport, might be the challenge that revs his engine.

Whatever he chooses, I will be interested to see the results!
I personally think his ceiling is way higher in wrestling. He’s absolutely mowing guys down in the international freestyle circuit the way Steveson did. He’s completely raw and with good freestyle coaching he can be one of the all time greats. In his U20 championship match a couple weeks ago he basically beat the guy with folkstyle moves which was crazy. Folkstyle in college I can see him on the NCAA podium multiple times.

I’ll put it this way, Keuter is much, much better compared to his USA and international peers in wrestling than he is in football. He’s a legit potential Olympic champ.

But, he’s also really really good at football and may have NFL chances in his future.

The biggest problem is that as a wrestler he isn’t going to make a dime doing it. The US doesn’t support and pay Olympic athletes the way the Eastern Bloc countries do. If he wanted to pursue wrestling after college it’ll be at regional training centers where he lives off donations and basically trains/wrestles for table scraps. Maybe get some sponsorships from Rudis or something like that, but not enough to live on.

If he were to get signed as a football player he could make make a few million bucks and set himself up for life, even if he’s not a big time Pro Bowler. Very, very tough decision coming up for that dude. I have no idea if his parents are loaded or not, that will probably be part of it.

Rob, are these viewable on mobile devices? Maybe it’s just an issue on my end but I can never watch clips embedded on the SI site, even with no ad blockers on.

That’s where I wish SI would allow content on YouTube

Just checked on my phone and the video is viewable. That would lead me to believe it's on your end, but truthfully, I'm not very connected to the SI site. I just post shit on it.

Just checked on my phone and the video is viewable. That would lead me to believe it's on your end, but truthfully, I'm not very connected to the SI site. I just post shit on it.
Probably my issue.

Gonna be a hot one this weekend, you shooting photos?

I will be there.

Muggy as shit here today but they say it's supposed to be nice the rest of the week. I can deal with hot but the humidity is killer. Last year in Ames is what I imagine hell to be like.

Lou Banach would like a word with you.

I know the name, but not the specifics. Give me the low-down (please).
Banach weighed 210 most of his career and wrestled heavyweight successfully back in the 80s. Beat a bunch of guys who weighed 300+ lbs and won 2 NCAA titles.

Pinned Tab Thacker who weighed 350 and beat Mitch Shelton who was 400 plus. NCAA wrestling used to be unlimited at heavyweight before they capped it at 285.

I will be there.

Muggy as shit here today but they say it's supposed to be nice the rest of the week. I can deal with hot but the humidity is killer. Last year in Ames is what I imagine hell to be like.
If you want a beer before the game lemme know and I’ll grab you one. ;)

Banach weighed 210 most of his career and wrestled heavyweight successfully back in the 80s. Beat a bunch of guys who weighed 300+ lbs and won 2 NCAA titles.

Pinned Tab Thacker who weighed 350 and beat Mitch Shelton who was 400 plus. NCAA wrestling used to be unlimited at heavyweight before they capped it at 285.
Thanks for answering that for me. Lou also won a gold medal in wrestling in the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. The Banach twins were incredible to watch wrestle. Ed wrestled at 190, won 3 NCAA titles and also won a gold medal in the 1984 Summer Olympics.

Latest posts