History of transfers

Tmoney12

Just saw Chris Williams go over ISU transfers on fanatic and did a quick rundown and comparison to how many people we have lost compared to them. Has any two in-state schools had this many transfers????
I'm sure I am forgetting some so feel free to add the ones I missed

Lick's
Jake Kelly
Jermain Davis
David Palmer
Tony Freeman
Jeff Peterson

Coaching change loses
Tyler Smith

Alford's
I'm sure I am missing a few and a few of these guys might have just quit basketball all together or not transferred. No real big names though.
Charlton Reed
Nick Dewitz
Dan Bohall
Ben Rand
Brent Wessells
Drew Adams
Alex Thompson
Ryan Kennedy(kid couldn't even get time at Grandview)
Chris Warren

I know Davis' lost his fair share of transfers but didn't have time to research that much. Here is the link to Williams' article.
History lesson: ISU MBB departures | Cyclone Fanatic

interesting...out of all of these players for Iowa and ISU the only ones I would consider a real "Loss" on the court (which I mean this player can not be replaced by 100 other players) are Haluska, Tyler Smith, Wesley Johnson, Mike Taylor...I think if you look at other programs in the nation you will find that they have a number of the same losses of no-name players that didn't work out. That's just a fact of life in College BBall, its a frustrating sport in that you work your a$$ off practicing and doing all the same crap as everyone else and you might not get to see the court at all in a real game. Also, in my experience in bball you always think you are better than the guy ahead of you which breeds resentment, and bball coaches are extremely bad about playing favorites and generally could not answer the question, "what is the guy ahead of me doing better than me to get PT?"...

Last edited:
I don't care what anybody says, this many transfers doesn't seem "normal" to me.

Anybody have a list of transfers that occurred during the Davis days? I know there were a couple (Paul Lusk for one), but I don't remember it being anywhere NEAR this. Of course, just about everybody except for the gray teamers got quite a bit of PT because of Davis' system that required lots of subbing. So maybe nobody felt that "favorites" was being played. Just a thought.

I am trying to find a list of all time rosters for the Hawks to see who transferred during the Davis era and I'm not having much luck.

Marcellus Sommerville was a huge loss. He had 4 years of eligibility remaining after redshirting his first year. He was 6-7, 225 lbs, athletic and a good shooter. He sat out at Bradley after transferring, then averaged 15 points and 7 boards over the next three years. Led them to the sweet 16 as well.

Joey Range was a huge loss as well. He had a solid freshman year under Davis averaging 8 points in 20 minutes of play. Would have been a good one.

Last edited:
I am trying to find a list of all time rosters for the Hawks to see who transferred during the Davis era and I'm not having much luck.

Paul Lusk- Southern Illinois
Dale Reed- Washington St
Phil Chime-?
Ray Thompson- Oral Roberts
Brian Garner- Oral Roberts
Ray Slater- Maryland Eastern Shore
Jeff Walker- Springfield,IL
Mark Jewell-?
Kevin Smith-?
Alvin Robinson-?
Trey Bullet-?

How about Lute's last class? All four left.
Johnny Fort-Virgina Tech
Robert Ursery- UCONN
Brian Boyle- St Louis
Dave Snedeker- Providence

If you look at Lick's list, the only one that was recruited by Todd was Davis, Freeman and Palmer were already here, Peterson and Kelly were recruited by Alford and stayed after Todd arrived. The problem I see is that he is still recruiting mid-major level talent, not Big Ten level talent.

Marcellus Sommerville was a huge loss. He had 4 years of eligibility remaining after redshirting his first year. He was 6-7, 225 lbs, athletic and a good shooter. He sat out at Bradley after transferring, then averaged 15 points and 7 boards over the next three years. Led them to the sweet 16 as well.
Yep. The whole thing came down to that redshirt Alford put on him. Sat out that season and the birdies started chirping in Sommerville's ear. Sucked for Iowa... badly.

Searching my memory banks here but did'nt 2 - 3 guys transfer to Evansville, Indiana after the entire team was lost in a plane crash? I was thinking an Anderson and a Scott Kelly maybe one other guy. Can't remember if it was Lute or Dr Toms team that lost these guys.

Just saw Chris Williams go over ISU transfers on fanatic and did a quick rundown and comparison to how many people we have lost compared to them. Has any two in-state schools had this many transfers????
I'm sure I am forgetting some so feel free to add the ones I missed

Lick's
Jake Kelly
Jermain Davis
David Palmer
Tony Freeman
Jeff Peterson

Coaching change loses
Tyler Smith

Alford's
I'm sure I am missing a few and a few of these guys might have just quit basketball all together or not transferred. No real big names though.
Charlton Reed
Nick Dewitz
Dan Bohall
Ben Rand
Brent Wessells
Drew Adams
Alex Thompson
Ryan Kennedy(kid couldn't even get time at Grandview)
Chris Warren

I know Davis' lost his fair share of transfers but didn't have time to research that much. Here is the link to Williams' article.
History lesson: ISU MBB departures | Cyclone Fanatic

I think ALL programs are seeing higher numbers of transfers.....its the culture of society. No one wants to commit or stick it out...if it's hard, quit.

I don't have the time, but I bet you could look at transfers in football and basketball over the last 5 years and it would most likely double the number of transfers in the previous 15-20.

I think ALL programs are seeing higher numbers of transfers.....its the culture of society. No one wants to commit or stick it out...if it's hard, quit.

Funny, kind of reminds me of a certain portion of a certain fanbase who wants to quit on a coach and team after only three short years??? Were a society of instant gratification, we have no patience for change!!!

I don't care what anybody says, this many transfers doesn't seem "normal" to me.

Anybody have a list of transfers that occurred during the Davis days? I know there were a couple (Paul Lusk for one), but I don't remember it being anywhere NEAR this. Of course, just about everybody except for the gray teamers got quite a bit of PT because of Davis' system that required lots of subbing. So maybe nobody felt that "favorites" was being played. Just a thought.

Mr. Davis had numerous transfers. A few years back when alford was getting ragged on I believe I counted 20 or more.

Latest posts