High Powered offense wins games

wally59

So far this week in key match ups of ranked college teams if you didn't score 4 touchdowns you didn't win the game and it wasn't the case that they had bad defenses. Offense today is much more diverse with many more options, it puts a lot more pressure on the defense. Iowa's defense should have been good enough to win the last two games despite giving up late game drives. If you can't score more than 20 points in a game you are not going to win. Minnestoa is 100th in scoring offense and last 4 games is giving up 35 points a game. Without the help of defensive turnovers does our offense have the capability to score 5 touchdowns?

NOT WITH KOK CALLING THE GAME. If we get up two touchdowns, we go with our deep freeze running game plan. The best thing about this game is that Minny's defense is so lame against the run...we should be able to get first downs in the running game with Coker.

No. Iowa's offense is predicated on ball control, move the chains, eat the clock, type of offense.

I don't think we need to score 20 to beat Minnesota, though.

I just wish Iowa would diversify out of the pro-style. There have been plenty high scoring pro-style offenses in college football. The thing that frustrates me about Iowa is the lack of creativity out of the pro-style and the painfully slow pace.

Punch a team in the mouth and punch them again and again. Don't punch them let them walk over and get a glass of water, clear their heads, and then line up to play defense.

I just wish Iowa would diversify out of the pro-style. There have been plenty high scoring pro-style offenses in college football. The thing that frustrates me about Iowa is the lack of creativity out of the pro-style and the painfully slow pace.

Punch a team in the mouth and punch them again and again. Don't punch them let them walk over and get a glass of water, clear their heads, and then line up to play defense.

Are you saying more diversity IN a pro-style offense or diversify out of a pro-style into another higher powered offensive scheme- I guess to me it wasn't evident and didn't want to assume.

I mean diversity within Pro-Style. Now that could mean you spilt your TE out as an extra stand-up like Indy does with Clark, or that you send a back out in motion as a receiver. You can also line up the QB in shot gun more. Basically a pro-style with more sets and motions. But again, one key is pace. You can vary that so that the other team doesn't know if you are going to use the whole play clock or get to the line and run a play quickly.

No, I am not calling for a spread offense, what I want is a diversity of offensive formations that is unpredictable. For example spread 4 receivers on a first down and you can still run the ball if you want. Roll out on passing plays more than once a game. Use the whole field and force the opponents defense to adapt not just 7 players in the box. I want to see crativity from our offensive coordinator. Besides wanting to win games this is also entertainment, I reaaly do appreciate to watch great defense but it is a lot of fun watching your team score a lot of points.

I mean diversity within Pro-Style. Now that could mean you spilt your TE out as an extra stand-up like Indy does with Clark, or that you send a back out in motion as a receiver. You can also line up the QB in shot gun more. Basically a pro-style with more sets and motions. But again, one key is pace. You can vary that so that the other team doesn't know if you are going to use the whole play clock or get to the line and run a play quickly.

In that case, I will agree with you. There's a lot more "diversity" that can be built into a pro-style offense than what Iowa has been willing to show.

I like your suggestions here. I don't like the various versions of the spread and think you can move the ball effectively out of pro sets. Teams game plan around our predictability and it hampers us unless we execute at a high level.

I also agree with Wally about rolling out the QB. When you are in an obvious passing down and you have a reserve center playing guard, you don't just think you are going to be able to execute a straight drop back from under center. You use arguably the most athletic LT in the league to seal the corner and roll your QB away from the obvious pressure that is coming up the middle.

I hate the spread offense - I hate playing against it even more. It works if you have the right personnel, a QB like Cam Newton is a PITA to play against. That being said, I may sound like an old guy, but "That just ain't football".

I agree, keep the pro style - mix in a little West Coast Offense style, the jail break screen (haven't seen that in a long time), and just quit going into slow down mode when we get a 2 score lead!!!!

High powered offense wins games. Defense wins championships. If there was any competition in the Pac-10, Oregon wouldn't make it out of there. But defense is optional in that league.

High powered offense wins games. Defense wins championships. If there was any competition in the Pac-10, Oregon wouldn't make it out of there. But defense is optional in that league.
there is a balance that needs to be had - we had it last year. 2002 was pretty good as well - There is a reason the SEC has won the last four titles and not the Big XIX. There teams scored some points, but when needed, their def would step up

Latest posts