High ball screen....with our 4 or 5...

HawkeyeWalker

Stop doing it!

All it does is put the ball in Cook or Garzas hands 20+ feet from the bucket. I'm ok with Garza taking a couple shots out there but Cook is basically rendered moot.

If you must screen to get the guards some room...do it with someone who has a modicum of a threat to shoot or drive...Moss...JW...Baer...Kreiner.

It's become glaringly easy to defend.

Garza should get 85% of his touches within 15 feet...Cook about 90% inside 10 feet.

I actually think Garza needs to stop shooting threes. I can’t remember the last one he’s made and he takes them at the absolute worst times in the game.

Late in the shot clock on a kick out when you are set and open he can let it fly. Not in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock off the first pass.

Excellent point about who you have screen at the top of the key...problem is you're inviting a better defender to the party, and even if you do execute a good pick & roll, the Iowa player is rolling right into the other team's starting Center. So I understand Iowa's thinking. The problem is, JBo isn't tall enough to pass it over defenders on the pick and roll, and there's no easy solution to THAT.

High pick and roll with the big is to create a mismatch on a switch. Problem is our bigs rarely roll to the basket and our guards can't drive so the defender just fights over the screen to protect the 3 ball. The only threat is a 3 point shot. To be a dangerous pick and roll, the threat of a drive, a 3 point shot, or a dish to the big crashing the rim has to be there. We currently only have 1 out of the 3 making it easy to defend. Teams will give Cook/Garza that jumper all day. Their big just sags off and their guard fights over the top. No clue why they try it over and over and over.

Teams will give Cook/Garza that jumper all day. Their big just sags off and their guard fights over the top. No clue why they try it over and over and over.
If at first you don’t succeed .... ?

Save your timeouts and let your team “work through it.”

Stop doing it!

All it does is put the ball in Cook or Garzas hands 20+ feet from the bucket. I'm ok with Garza taking a couple shots out there but Cook is basically rendered moot.

If you must screen to get the guards some room...do it with someone who has a modicum of a threat to shoot or drive...Moss...JW...Baer...Kreiner.

It's become glaringly easy to defend.

Garza should get 85% of his touches within 15 feet...Cook about 90% inside 10 feet.
I've been preaching about this for days. It just is a terrible way to initiate the offense. He is not a threat to shoot and doesn't draw his man out unless he drives. Then the defense tries to draw the charge and cut off his passing lanes. Its why he turns over the ball too much and our offense gets "stuck". He doesn't screen anyway, Garza does but Cook is awful at it. It's time to sit him down and tell him to play closer to the basket and stop handling the ball, and for God sakes REBOUND!

Excellent point about who you have screen at the top of the key...problem is you're inviting a better defender to the party, and even if you do execute a good pick & roll, the Iowa player is rolling right into the other team's starting Center. So I understand Iowa's thinking. The problem is, JBo isn't tall enough to pass it over defenders on the pick and roll, and there's no easy solution to THAT.
Yeah that's where in the half court I'd rather he be coming off screens off the ball himself. He's not long enough or quick enough to both run the pick and roll well enough or even feed the post from the wings at times. It's tough sledding for him out there against bigger, taller longer, quicker players.. It just is

High pick and roll with the big is to create a mismatch on a switch. Problem is our bigs rarely roll to the basket and our guards can't drive so the defender just fights over the screen to protect the 3 ball. The only threat is a 3 point shot. To be a dangerous pick and roll, the threat of a drive, a 3 point shot, or a dish to the big crashing the rim has to be there. We currently only have 1 out of the 3 making it easy to defend. Teams will give Cook/Garza that jumper all day. Their big just sags off and their guard fights over the top. No clue why they try it over and over and over.
Kriener is the best at rolling to the basket IMO.

Could not agree more. Iowa has completely gotten away from getting the ball to Cook or Garza down low. Stupid.

Garza can jack up a three anytime. He's not a good shooter and it is a dumb shot to take. I'd rather see Bohannon or Moss jack up threes than Garza.

Iowa BB is a hot mess right now. Fran needs to shut the f up and start coaching.

Latest posts