HI Predictions

Tfunkhawkeye

I know it is just Howe's predictions - but that is disappointing.
Not sure if it was disheartened more by predicted losses to Pitt, Maryland, Minny, Neb or if the conclusion of -a 4 loss season is pretty darn good around here.

I'm not disagreeing with Howe. Haven't give game by game much thought. But with this schedule -who did you really beat that is worth celebrating ... Wisky only?

A 4 loss season with this schedule will contribute to the lack of sell-outs.

I saw that this morning, so I was curious how he did on last years predictions. He predicted 6-6, so he was off by 2 wins. Hopefully he is off the same this year as well, and Iowa goes 10-2

Doesn't matter what anyone says or predicts. It all takes care of itself on the field. Just win one at a time

Doesn't matter what anyone says or predicts. It all takes care of itself on the field. Just win one at a time

of course ...
So I am differing with Howe on conclusion- 4 losses would not remotely equate to a darn good season.
I know nobody has played yet and Indiana or whoever could end up being a great story but with this seemingly manageable schedule 4 losses would be exceedingly disappointing.

Take it with a grain of salt. He seems to have an axe to grind.

I don't think he has an axe to grind, but he has always been a pretty pessimistic guy. I'm sure he has overshot the Hawks in the past, but I usually expect the worst possible scenario when I hear his predictions. That said, 8-4 is quite possible, but you have to have Iowa losing a few games they shouldn't.

As long as KF is coach, he'll NEVER give the Hawks the benefit of the doubt. With the exception of Wisky, he basically has us losing virtually every single 50/50 game on the schedule. I highly doubt that happens.

Iowa State has nothing. Except wide receivers. We have a fairly untested secondary. It's a rivalry game. Maryland and Pittsburgh on the road won't be easy. Tough travel to both places. Minnesota and Indiana claim to have not lost a beat. Indiana claims a much improved defense. Even if they don't have a great D, they score a lot of points. We haven't yet proven we can do that, although I suspect we will this year.

I know there are some injuries, but my point is that it has always been one game at a time, and there isn't much that separates a 6-6 Big 10 team from a 9-3 team. Maybe 6-10 key plays or weird bounces of the funny shaped ball. An injury someplace where we're thin.

I remember watching in 2009 and wondering how we were winning. I remember watching in 2008 and still don't understand our losses that year. One of Iowa's best teams was at the end of the 2008 season. Proof to me at least that we are a developmental program.

Having said all of that, and because I'm a loser and pay close attention to stuff that others don't care about, I sense a very quiet confidence and a lot of motivation this year.

We'll see. If we lost 4 games I'd be disappointed, but if I thought it through logically I wouldn't be surprised.

When Iowa proves that they are more than a middle of the road team they will get more respect. Based on the last two years. I think everyone, including the fans are saying; Show me. Anyone who has been around the program for very long has been through enough of the big talk in August only to have it squashed in September to jump on the band wagon this early.
I am cautiously optimistic. Waiting for the big dose of reality.

If history is any clue...we'll be wondering after week 1 just as we are now....if the hawks show up flat first week out...as they often do...we won't be able to keep up with the posts on this forum.

Latest posts