Hey Alford Haters

Shane,

Pls do not bump old friends outside of "Flashback Fridays". It is causing confusion and agitating the locals. Thank you.

Sincerely

The Office of the Dean of Posters

-Dictated but not read

You sure about that average of 8th under SA?
I know that we finished in 4th,6th,2nd and 4th in his last four years and I do not think we finished dead last in any year before that. Even if we finished in 10th the prior four years,that would average 7th place.
With SA we were in the hunt most years,only to have injuries and departures kill us in second halves of league games. Often we had like 6 scholly players due to injuires and departures. SA had his problems,but he has always had winning records,which is a foreign concept since he left.

Not missing him,but wish Barta had hired Fran back in 07.

You wish he hired him before he rebuilt Siena and took them to 3 straight NCAA tourneys?

Alford was many things at Iowa (most not good)...

He was a better coach by the time he left, but as a previous poster said, it was too late at that point - things had already spiraled too far.

The big issues for me:

Lack of player development (it's hard to name a single player under Alford that was a significantly improved player at the end of their career than they were as Fr)

Lack of player retention (this is multi-faceted - good players that transferred, boneheads that got into trouble that should have never been recruited in the first place, guys that really didn't want to be here...or got here and realized they didn't want to be here)

The game day coaching itself did show some degree of progress as Alford went along in his career, but nowhere near to the degree where it was enough to overcome the previous 2 issues.

He had a really cocky persona, which I think caused 9/10's of his problems w/Iowa fans (and probably players too, for that matter!). Personally, it never really bothered me - a coach that gets results for my team can be as cocky as they want to be. If Alford was leading us to 20+ wins every year, everyone would have called it "swagger". Just like Drew Tate - Drew was the exact same guy through his entire career, even though if you talk to a lot of Iowa fans, you would think he morphed into some horrible monster between the end of 04 and the end of 06...the W's & L's are what dictated perception.

but I wouldn't lump player development in his misses. Horner and Brunner were significantly better as seniors than freshmen. Erik Hansen was a 7-foot twig with no game as a freshman and was the defensive player of the year in the B1G as a senior. Jared Reiner got a lot better from a freshman to his senior year (when he was averaging a double-double when he was lost for the season). His main problems were in your next point related to player attrition and not recruiting well enough.

Lick ran off players like Freeman, then turned away a 5* center because he couldn't use him [hindsite is always 20/20] when looking at how players career ends, Smith left. Lick created his own mess, don't blame Alford on what Lick did, Palmer did some pretty good things when he got in and yet Lick buried him on the bench, didn't care about SA one way or the other but he does hold the record for cosecutive winning seasons by any coach with 7.. just because you hate the guy does not mean he has not learned how to coach now

Lick ran off players like Freeman, then turned away a 5* center because he couldn't use him [hindsite is always 20/20] when looking at how players career ends, Smith left. Lick created his own mess, don't blame Alford on what Lick did, Palmer did some pretty good things when he got in and yet Lick buried him on the bench, didn't care about SA one way or the other but he does hold the record for cosecutive winning seasons by any coach with 7.. just because you hate the guy does not mean he has not learned how to coach now

Glad you're back, Herby.

Latest posts