Hesse / Nelson

BQuastU

Can't really go back to Hesse as the starter at this point, I would think. Appreciate the thought that a player can't lose his starting spot due to injury, but not sure anybody still believes that these days. Anthony Nelson is potentially very, very good. Hesse filled in nicely last year, but seems to be more of Nelson's backup than the reverse. Anybody with actual football knowledge dispute this (not a rhetorical question)? Also appreciate that Hesse can and should still see the field a ton, similar to Faith E's role.

I'm pretty sure it was Ferentz who singled out Hesse as one of the most improved players this year. We haven't seen him enough this year to judge how much better he is yet. Hopefully it's a night and day difference.

Personally I would go with Anthony and Hesse as my starters.

This is the thing if Anthony Nelson can start at left end and Hesse at right end.

And if both nelsons and hesse can play either left or right DE then rotate those 3 and sprinkle in another couple of young guys.

Rotate as many capable DEs as possible. I still can see Clayborn begging for oxygen at the end of the Northwestern game in '10.

To me this is sort of a moot point, you pretty much have to have 3 d-ends in every game. I would say with the nelsons and Hesse and epenesa next year, The future looks bright at DE for Iowa.

The problem with having Hesse and A Nelson in there at the same time is that neither barely crack 250lbs. That's okay for one side, but you can't have both guys in there that light. They'll get eaten alive against the likes of Wisky, Mich, etc that have good, big OL and want to run the ball....

Latest posts