Here's what I don't get about expansion...

The biggest reason that I've heard to favor B10 expansion is so that the B10 is relevent later in the season when other conferences are still playing. This was JoPa's number one point for expansion in the interview that I heard weeks ago. And I've heard this over and over from others regarding the conference.

If that is the biggest issue, then why not just adjust the scheduling like the P10 and BigEast do? P10 doesn't have a championship game yet they are playing games the same weekend as the SEC and B12 championship. Its not that hard, right?

I hate the idea of expanding to 12 teams. We already don't play two conference teams each season. Whats the point of adding a team if it means dropping another conference game? So now we don't play 3 conference teams. I think it weakens the conference. Seriously, whats the point? Yeah, we're in the B10 baby!....sort of.

And so you're going to tell me that well, we don't play 1/4 of the conf teams but its okay because there is a championship game so a true champion will be determined. But really, how often does the championship game work out like its supposed to? How often do the top two teams of the conference matchup in the championship game?

the SEC this year was an anomoly. Most often you are going to have situations like the ACC where GT had already beaten Clemson. Why should they play again? Or the clear top two teams will be in the same division. Plus the championship game is only for two conference teams. The rest of the confrerence gains nothing from it. They just played a conference schedule where they didn't play three teams in there own conference.

Why can't the B10 remain at 11 teams, adjust the schedule so that there are games through the end of the college football regular season, and play a true round-robin like the P10 where they play every singe team in the confernce? That would only mean taking two of the four non-con games off the schedule.

I suppose I know the answer to all of my questions: money. Its all about a championship game to make money. Its not about being relevent in late november. its not about making the conference stronger. Its about playing four boring as hell non-con games to get more home games and make more money. Its about expanding the conf to add more media coverage and get more money.

I actually agree with this... move to a 13 game schedule and have each team play 10 conference games. Add in a mandatory bye week and suddenly you're relevant again late in the year.

Why hasn't the Big 10 moved it's schedule? It's quite frustrating seeing other teams play 3 or so weeks more after we're done.

I can't say as I disagree with this. I woul like to see at least 1 of the non-conference games dropped so that we at least play 9 of the other teams instead of 8. Throw in a bye week and in the event of a tie for the title a one game playoff at one of the campus stadiums to be determined by a coin toss.

Many P10 and BigEast schools had two bye weeks this season in order to finish on Dec 5 when the big conferences had their championship games.

I'm not sure how I feel about two bye weeks.

I know KF has said many times he likes to be done by thanksgiving. But if everyone else wants to be "relevant" at the end of the season it seems a lot less drastic to adjust the schedule than to add another school.

I can't say as I disagree with this. I woul like to see at least 1 of the non-conference games dropped so that we at least play 9 of the other teams instead of 8. Throw in a bye week and in the event of a tie for the title a one game playoff at one of the campus stadiums to be determined by a coin toss.

Playing 9 conference games is mathematically impossible for 11 teams.

Everyone plays 8 right now so adding 1 more game to each teams schedule would mean 1 team can't play the 9th game without another team playing a 10th game.

It will have to be a 10 game schedule or the current 8 game schedule.

first, the problem is not the big ten ending early, it's that the others have stretched their seasons out longer ... but change can be good and more football = more better

so, I'm with KF on this one, he said 13 games and a true round robin, and I am down with that ... Iowa would play a patsy, ISU, and a decent team every year, then all of the other 10 BT teams ... throw in a bye week and that is 14 weeks of hawkeye football season ... all of Sept, Oct, Nov, and a few days into Aug and/or Dec

I'd be for expansion only for ND

Ottoman,

The Big Ten is moving their schedule starting next year. There is a permanent bye week and the final conference game will be played the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I think it would be nice to go to 12 teams and have 9 conference games( impossible with 11 teams) so you would play every team in your division + 4 from the other division, This means the amount of b10 teams that you don't play would remain at 2 and then you have a championship game. The only problem with this would be asking teams to play 10 conference games (9 + championship), a lot to ask especially if 1 of the non-conference games is against a decent opponent.

I'm pretty sure individual conferences can't just decide to play an extra 13th game. There are NCAA rules about how many games you can play in a season, and right now it's 12 games, with a few exceptions.

Ottoman,

The Big Ten is moving their schedule starting next year. There is a permanent bye week and the final conference game will be played the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I think what he's saying is that by starting the season before Labor Day, and by not having a bye week, the Big 10 does itself a disservice. If they would just move the start of the season up a week and still keep the bye week, they would be playing games that matter at least up until Thanksgiving.

If you add a game, along with starting a week later and a bye week, then the Big 10 would be in the news until the first weekend in December, and that - along with money - is what this is all about.

I'm pretty sure individual conferences can't just decide to play an extra 13th game. There are NCAA rules about how many games you can play in a season, and right now it's 12 games, with a few exceptions.

Less than 5 years ago, playing 12 games was considered unthinkable.

Latest posts