here's the play that baffled me

1 hour 22 min 17 second mark. toss to weisman sorry, could not get the link to start at that spot.

Not saying you're wrong, because it does seem like a strange play to run against a fast defense, but if the fullback doesn't get tripped up on the play and is able to get to the eventual tackler, there was a chance for some yardage. We had the side overloaded, but the DE/OLB blew up the play, taking the FB out of the play, forced MW to bounce it outside, which gave the pursuit time to get there.

I really don't watch a lot of Iowa film, just watch the games when my kids give me the chance to, but I would be interested to see if this play was run much throughout the season or if it was used to set up something. Watching it again, it appears that the back side was pursuing and the blocking would have been there for a WR reverse.

I certainly don't claim to know anywhere near as much as the coaches, so I'm not one to second guess them. I get enough of that of my own on Friday nights!

If...there's a chance... for some... That's a lot of qualifiers in one sentence.

Nuff said.

Speed kills. And it wins. MW is a great back when he's used properly. When he's not...he's average at best. This is a Canzeri or Daniels or even Bullock play.

If...there's a chance... for some... That's a lot of qualifiers in one sentence.

Nuff said.

Speed kills. And it wins. MW is a great back when he's used properly. When he's not...he's average at best. This is a Canzeri or Daniels or even Bullock play.

lol

Doesn't matter. LSU was so much Better than Iowa they beat us with a freshman QB who couldn't pass.

Doesn't matter. LSU was so much Better than Iowa they beat us with a freshman QB who couldn't pass.

Let's be honest... The Hat could've been the QB that day. It was the running back, Hill that beat us. He was unstoppable; and that's why he'll be playing plenty on Sunday.

Yeah, tough to put that one on MW. But the play before is a play were I think MW's straight ahead fullback talent may have cost us a big gainer. Look at the replay (shown from endzone angle) and you'll first see a beautifully blocked play, I mean it was outstanding. Next you'll see MW running through a huge hole where he meets a safety coming late to fill. If he had more speed he'd have had the angle to be through the hole before the safety got there, or, if he had Canzeri type lateral ability, he could have cut-back left and broke the safety's ankles for a big gainer.

Not saying you're wrong, because it does seem like a strange play to run against a fast defense, but if the fullback doesn't get tripped up on the play and is able to get to the eventual tackler, there was a chance for some yardage. We had the side overloaded, but the DE/OLB blew up the play, taking the FB out of the play, forced MW to bounce it outside, which gave the pursuit time to get there.

I really don't watch a lot of Iowa film, just watch the games when my kids give me the chance to, but I would be interested to see if this play was run much throughout the season or if it was used to set up something. Watching it again, it appears that the back side was pursuing and the blocking would have been there for a WR reverse.

I certainly don't claim to know anywhere near as much as the coaches, so I'm not one to second guess them. I get enough of that of my own on Friday nights!

I hate to beat a dead horse, cow pig or whatever but Iowa doesnt run hardly any counter plays and reverses. Other teams do not have to worry about them.

But you are right the reverse is almost always open and if you burn the opponent a few times a game with a reverse you take away a lot of that backside pursuit.

I am not against MW on that type of a play once in awhile but MW also has to take the first cut to the shortest route to a gain. LSU forced him to bounce outside and once he ran a few steps laterally he was lucky to get back to LOS if he did.

If the running back 'sees' hawk blockers have a good opening to the outside go for it but if there are a lot of enemy jerseys showing the RB better cut it straight and get their yards.

It is truly remarkable that there are fans out there that think a play doesn't have to be blocked. We have reached a point in our society where somebody makes up their mind ahead of time and then all the facts they look at bear out what they want to see. If the play doesn't get blocked it's not going to go anywhere. Jordan Canzeri would not of made that play work, man alive I don't get it.

And incidentally that freshman quarterback for LSU who couldn't pass was a four star superstar quarterback who was fast and got offered by everybody in the country. He also had a month to prepare and was the number two quarterback on a team that I am told routinely recruits fantastic football players 2 and 3 and 4 deep....what's that tell you?!

i've got a couple buddies at work we laugh all the time at what seems to be a pretty ridiculous play call that goes for 60 70 80 yards. In fact one of them has a funny comment, perfect execution does not make a bad play call good. The reverse is also true... I'm going to toss this out to the gentleman that thinks he has it figured out with the "ifs" and "should've" and then, statement! If that play out there is not blocked properly very very very rarely is it going to go anywhere. You guys can whine and gnash your teeth all you want about MW, but all it really shows is a limited understanding of running the football. There are a lot of backs in the NFL that run 4.6 and 4.7 forties. Jeremy Hill from LSU for instance ran a 4.66, it's all about blocking, power, vision, lowering your pads, and running through contact. Homerun speed is in material. I agree explosion to the hole is great, but I have a sneaking suspicion when MW runs his 10 yard dash next spring a lot of people will be real quiet.

Last edited:
It is truly remarkable that there are fans out there that think a play doesn't have to be blocked. We have reached a point in our society where somebody makes up their mind ahead of time and then all the facts they look at bear out what they want to see. If the play doesn't get blocked it's not going to go anywhere. Jordan Canzeri would not of made that play work, man alive I don't get it.

And incidentally that freshman quarterback for LSU who couldn't pass was a four star superstar quarterback who was fast and got offered by everybody in the country. He also had a month to prepare and was the number two quarterback on a team that I am told routinely recruits fantastic football players 2 and 3 and 4 deep....what's that tell you?!

i've got a couple buddies at work we laugh all the time at what seems to be a pretty ridiculous play call that goes for 60 70 80 yards. In fact one of them has a funny comment, perfect execution does not make a bad play call good. The reverse is also true... I'm going to toss this out to the gentleman that thinks he has it figured out with the "ifs" and "should've" and then, statement! If that play out there is not blocked properly very very very rarely is it going to go anywhere. You guys can whine and gnash your teeth all you want about MW, but all it really shows is a limited understanding of running the football. There are a lot of backs in the NFL that run 4.6 and 4.7 forties. Jeremy Hill from LSU for instance ran a 4.66, it's all about blocking, power, vision, lowering your pads, and running through contact. Homerun speed is in material. I agree explosion to the hole is great, but I have a sneaking suspicion when MW runs his 10 yard dash next spring a lot of people will be real quiet.

I agree, this quilt material has a football player who doesn't look very fast, but I hear that he runs a 4.4

QuiltFootballSamVikings01.jpg

The offense was struggling and the coaches were trying something else.

Iowa rarely runs a toss. Here is one of the few other times that I can recall, and it turned out pretty well. It helps that it was blocked well. 6 min and 6 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBu6-XGf9o#t=6m05s

I am really appreciative of the highly intelligent posters that I see on this board. Those of you that are actually watching the game even closer than I am and have the background and the wherewithal to actually see the coaches doing different things. Until you said it it didn't occur to me that you are right! We rarely run a toss sweep. These coaches actually are really trying hard to find things that work. I wish everyone would take a step back and see it.

The way I read the OP is confussion over the play call, not that MW couldn't score a touchdown on a play where the blocking was blown up. Do we really want to run a toss sweep to MW against the speed of an SEC defense?

If you don't think speed matters in football, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Speed can beat fundamentals almost every time. Why do you think the $EC is paying top dollar for speed?

Latest posts