Here's My Writeup on the Fran-Arkansas Story

Couldn't Iowa release Patrick allowing him to transfer where ever he wants and be eligible immediately? I swear that's happened before during coaching changes.

I think so but I don't really know. I thought a LOI locked you in, but seems the rules change. I assume sure once you are enrolled you are locked in for good.

Couldn't Iowa release Patrick allowing him to transfer where ever he wants and be eligible immediately? I swear that's happened before during coaching changes.

Yes. Patrick could be let out of his LOI and play somewhere else right away.

It happened at Penn State a few days ago: LINK

Yes. Patrick could be let out of his LOI and play somewhere else right away.

It happened at Penn State a few days ago: LINK

that's what I thought. Does Connor still have a RS in baseball or how does that work? I feel this is a bunch to do about nothing cause I don't see AR and Fran being good for each other. Fran, at least on the surface seems kind of uppity, smug, snooty etc -I know he's not that one on one, but just from an outsider, that's his perception. AR is a good ole boy kind of school. Ah shucks. Shoot darn it. Pig Sooi kind of place. It takes a special brand. Fran is a lot closer to Dana Altman as far as his demeanor than he is to Nolan Richardson. I just think, man, oil and water as far as culture. It's still fun to think and talk about and hear rumors and have people call me names over pointless stuff. It's fun! This is fun.

that's what I thought. Does Connor still have a RS in baseball or how does that work? I feel this is a bunch to do about nothing cause I don't see AR and Fran being good for each other. Fran, at least on the surface seems kind of uppity, smug, snooty etc -I know he's not that one on one, but just from an outsider, that's his perception. AR is a good ole boy kind of school. Ah shucks. Shoot darn it. Pig Sooi kind of place. It takes a special brand. Fran is a lot closer to Dana Altman as far as his demeanor than he is to Nolan Richardson. I just think, man, oil and water as far as culture. It's still fun to think and talk about and hear rumors and have people call me names over pointless stuff. It's fun! This is fun.

Connor has red shirted in both sports. He has three years to play three unless he got an NCAA waiver.

https://twitter.com/patrickmccaff22/status/1113604676115677185

mannn you guys need to check your “sources”
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
the stuff I read on this app is crazyyyy

7:50 PM - Apr 3, 2019

“Yes, I have spoken to <insert name of school> about their coaching vacancy.” - Said no coach ever.

He didn’t have to respond at all.

As I said to someone yesterday, others will have this take. If someone wants to say Fran is lying, that’s his choice. I can’t prove for you if he is or isn’t. I can just report what I’m told.

Well at least down there he will get help buying (opps I mean recruiting) a point guard.

after 9 years at Iowa, here are the numbers Fran has put up:

Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten Conference) (2010–present)
2010–11 Iowa 11–20 4–14 10th
2011–12 Iowa 18–17 8–10 T–7th NIT Second Round
2012–13 Iowa 25–13 9–9 6th NIT Runner-up
2013–14 Iowa 20–13 9–9 6th NCAA Division I First Four
2014–15 Iowa 22–12 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2015–16 Iowa 22–11 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Division I Round of 32
2016–17 Iowa 19–15 10–8 T–5th NIT Second Round
2017–18 Iowa 14–19 4–14 T–11th
2018–19 Iowa 23–12 10–10 6th NCAA Division I Round of 32
Iowa: 174–132 (.569) 79–86 (.488)
Total: 425–309 (.579)

Is this really a coach that is going to move Iowa to the next level? He clearly is several rungs above Lick, but he has maxed out at Iowa given his body of work. I would not be the least bit offended if he heads to Arkansas

Greg and Doug McDermott at Creighton come to mind as well. I believe Doug was signed with UNI before Greg took on the Creighton job. At the time Creighton was still part of the MVC I believe.

I will eat my words if this happens, but I am on record as saying no way this is going to happen.

This makes the least sense for Arkansas. Fran is not a name, at all. This would be received about as well as Mike Riley was received at Nebraska. Who? That guy who has been around forever and has a .515 winning percentage? That is the best we could do?

Let's not gloss over the fact that if Tyler Cook returns, this will be arguably the most talented returning team at Iowa in 30 years. He has nearly his entire team back from a year where he was an OT win away from the Sweet 16, with several studs being added to the mule train. Again, coaches leave when they leave, but the status of the stable would further suggest this is not a move that makes any sense all the way around.

I will eat my words if this happens, but I am on record as saying no way this is going to happen.

This makes the least sense for Arkansas. Fran is not a name, at all. This would be received about as well as Mike Riley was received at Nebraska. Who? That guy who has been around forever and has a .515 winning percentage? That is the best we could do?

Let's not gloss over the fact that if Tyler Cook returns, this will be arguably the most talented returning team at Iowa in 30 years. He has nearly his entire team back from a year where he was an OT win away from the Sweet 16, with several studs being added to the mule train. Again, coaches leave when they leave, but the status of the stable would further suggest this is not a move that makes any sense all the way around.

yep - everything seems off about it .... but NOTHING surprises me anymore in college athletics. Iowa will never make the dance this year. Nebraska will never hire Hoiberg. Fran will never leave Iowa for Arkansas. It's like god is watching over HN and says "hold my beer".

He didn’t have to respond at all.

As I said to someone yesterday, others will have this take. If someone wants to say Fran is lying, that’s his choice. I can’t prove for you if he is or isn’t. I can just report what I’m told.

I don't like to accuse anyone of lying but in this case he's opening up a huge can of worms confirming he's had discussions with Arkansas. I think it's in his best interest to not confirm it.

But nobody is blaming you, you are just doing your job and reporting what you're being told.

I second the notion that this won't happen. This is the Ol' Kirk Ferentz ploy to get Fran a raise. Nothing more. Nothing less. Except this time, Gutless Gary was smart enough to get the rumor mill started before the raise/extension is announced.

I basically agree.

Not sure how it's a real step up for Arkansas.. But stranger things have happened. Lots of schools have made head-scratching coaching hires.

Regarding your last paragraph.. That's also true, but that didn't stop George Raveling from leaving after the 1986 season. Just look at what Tom Davis inherited - basically a national title contender, that was a blown 18 point 2nd half lead away from the Final Four. That team really blossomed under Mr. Davis's coaching.

Raveling left because he was supposedly not happy in IC and felt he didn't fit in. Is Fran happy here? I can't answer that.

Last edited:

Latest posts