Here is the Real Big Ten West Darkhorse

54033790.jpg

Great read. Reminds me of the song about the Edmund Fitzgerald which sank in Lake Superior on Nov 10, 1975.

Good insight...thanks...fortunately most of us will be able to watch from a warm home....bless everyone that treks to MN this weekend making it Kinnick North. Cold is bearable, cold with wind is the worst.

So (tongue in cheek) maybe our coaching staff knew all along that we eventually would have to win games without a vertical passing game, or that with an East-West stadium, our horrizontal game will improve when throwing downwind, but I digress.

...I do think we have made some key changes with our Oline and backfield, that you have pointed out here, that may prove to be vital in advancing the ball in the upcoming weeks. The good news is, that being one dimensional will allow us to be able to exploit that out of Minny, the converse of that of course, is that they will be able to do that to us as well...

....dress warm.

Great insight Jon. I think one could also perhaps add the "potential" emergence of Wadley to that list as having that extra speed back to go with Weisman gives the opposing teams just a bit more they will have to prepare for.

Forced turnovers have been critical for MN in their two losses. TCU's secondary makes a living off of stripping the ball and were effective in doing so vs MN earlier this season. IL stripped the ball in the 4th quarter from Cobb for a game winning TD in their other loss.

I like cold weather paired with a defense that can force turnovers. Let's hope its the Hawks that force the turnovers and remember how to tackle and wrap up as well.

Jon I saw you firing off some tweets to Joe the other day. I've followed Joe Bastardi a long time and he was absolutely spot on last winter with his forecast. He's a huge Nittany Lion fan as he wrestled there and not to get political, but he doesn't buy in to global warming and his data show's the earth is actually in a cooling trend. That's all up for debate some where else but he's one of the best I've seen on long range forecasts.

Last edited:
Love the weather angle ,Jon. I think it will play a huge role this weekend, and could in all these games.

I am disappointed to read of your winter forecast. I have heard the NWS saying it will be a normal winter.
Last year was not normal.

So, can we expect swirling winds at Minny Saturday, not a with and against wind scenario?

I thought with the NW direction, and the west end zone being open, it would mean strong winds going one way and against going the other direction....not true?

who knew my little graphic would make the big time and be embraced - soaring to such hights of media attention.! I was going to paste in an old man winter in the upper left corner blowing cold air. Now I regret not having done it.

Jon, thats one more package of prognostication on your plate buddy. You know we'll be watching hence forth.

Good insight...thanks...fortunately most of us will be able to watch from a warm home....bless everyone that treks to MN this weekend making it Kinnick North. Cold is bearable, cold with wind is the worst.

So (tongue in cheek) maybe our coaching staff knew all along that we eventually would have to win games without a vertical passing game, or that with an East-West stadium, our horrizontal game will improve when throwing downwind, but I digress.

...I do think we have made some key changes with our Oline and backfield, that you have pointed out here, that may prove to be vital in advancing the ball in the upcoming weeks. The good news is, that being one dimensional will allow us to be able to exploit that out of Minny, the converse of that of course, is that they will be able to do that to us as well...

....dress warm.

POTY?

Love the weather angle ,Jon. I think it will play a huge role this weekend, and could in all these games.

I am disappointed to read of your winter forecast. I have heard the NWS saying it will be a normal winter.
Last year was not normal.

So, can we expect swirling winds at Minny Saturday, not a with and against wind scenario?

I thought with the NW direction, and the west end zone being open, it would mean strong winds going one way and against going the other direction....not true?

Depends on the air flow and stadium design ... here is a good simulation ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMCaeI3pHXk

Jon I saw you firing off some tweets to Joe the other day. I've followed Joe Bastardi a long time and he was absolutely spot on last winter with his forecast. He's a huge Nittany Lion fan as he wrestled there and not to get political, but he doesn't buy in to global warming and his data show's the earth is actually in a cooling trend. That's all up for debate some where else but he's one of the best I've seen on long range forecasts.
"His data"

Would that be data that he himself made up that somehow shows a cooling trend that isn't there?

"His data"

Would that be data that he himself made up that somehow shows a cooling trend that isn't there?

I couldn't tell you. I'm sure he has data to back up why he feels that way and obviously you have data that supports your position. As I stated earlier that would be a discussion for the cave, and that doesn't exist any more. I have followed his long range forecasts for a long time, and think he does a heck of a job on those. Last winter on just his short range(7-10 day) predictions he was typically much more accurate then a lot of the big outfits as far as I observed.

http://www.wsj.com/video/get-ready-...-AAE5-5AAB4398FED9.html?KEYWORDS=polar+vortex

Edit. You could also type in Joe Bastardi and cooling of the earth to see why he feels that way. Here was the first article that popped up when I searched. It's a subject way beyond anything I care to dive into.

http://notrickszone.com/2013/05/11/...uture-shaping-up-to-be-worse-than-we-thought/

Last edited:

Latest posts