Hendry gone from the Cubs?

I agree on Wood, but then disagree. It's a rebuilding year, get a young reliever like Chris Carpenter up and let's see what he can do

Would anybody else rather see the Cubs go after Fielder at 1B than Pujols? Fielder is 4 years younger than Pujols, and I've also heard debate about Pujols actually being 32 years old - DOB is sometimes a little up in the air with Dominican players..

Plus, I imagine Pujols is going to continue asking for $30 million a year.. I expect Fielder may be cheaper, but that's just an assumption.

Apparently Epstein is a goal for the cubs, but I would say by this article his FA signings haven't been that great in the past, but he has had some good ones too. His farm system is what has made his tenure at Boston great.

"Looking at Epstein's tenure in Boston, his success is primarily a result of a. successful trades, and b. drafting/amatur scouting (which is/was not completely done by Epstein). In spite of the big wallet, in Epstein's tenure Boston's track record of free agent signings has been quite poor. Renteria, Lugo, Drew, Lackey, Crawford, Matsuzaka, Clement, Smoltz, Wells, Scutaro, Cameron, Jenks, Foulke all under-performed relative to the contracts they were given." -- SN commenter OverGreta906

"Epstein is a huge longshot. I think Friedman would be a great hire. Hopefully he can bring some of his talent scouts with him. Wilken is a great director, but not sure about the people that surround him. " -- SN commenter scott.brecht

I agree on Wood, but then disagree. It's a rebuilding year, get a young reliever like Chris Carpenter up and let's see what he can do

Carpenter should be up next year regardless IMO. If it's between Wood and Carpenter, then yes I agree that I'd rather see what Carpenter can do.

I saw Buster Olney had an article about the Cubs looking at Epstein. I think it would be a good idea to talk to him, but I just don't see him leaving Boston.

Some of those "bad" free agent signing weren't really that bad. Foulke was huge in the 04 playoff run and only became bad because they worked him like a rented mule. Crawford hasn't even played a full season in Boston yet, a little premature on that one.

Would anybody else rather see the Cubs go after Fielder at 1B than Pujols? Fielder is 4 years younger than Pujols, and I've also heard debate about Pujols actually being 32 years old - DOB is sometimes a little up in the air with Dominican players..

Plus, I imagine Pujols is going to continue asking for $30 million a year.. I expect Fielder may be cheaper, but that's just an assumption.

Given Prince's body type, I don't think he'll be in the game any longer than Pujols, at least not effectively. They'll both be out of the game at about the same time.

Prince has one attribute: power. That disappears when your bat speed decreases, which comes naturally with age. He isn't good defensively and he can't run. He's never hit .300 in a season (Pujols has never hit lower than .312 in a season). He's not going to age well; he's going to fall of the cliff. Pujols is a few years older, but he's also got much more value. He will age a lot more gracefully, because he's a much better athlete. He's a top-flight defensive first baseman who currently hits for legendary power, but also terrific average (.328 lifetime). He'll still hit the ball around and get on base, even once his power starts to fade. I'm not confident that we can say that about Prince.

I would rather the Cubs go after Fielder than Pujols. Fielder is just coming into his prime and would make a great investment for the next 7 years. I think Pujols has more productive years left but I think he is on the backside of his career. I am not at all worried about Fielders body type as it is not like he put on all this weight after being a pro player. He has always been big and his body seems to support his weight fine as he has been one of the more durable players the past several years.

But honestly I would be happy to see either in a Cub uniform as it is not to often you can improve your team while severely weakening a division rival.

Given Prince's body type, I don't think he'll be in the game any longer than Pujols, at least not effectively. They'll both be out of the game at about the same time.

Prince has one attribute: power. That disappears when your bat speed decreases, which comes naturally with age. He isn't good defensively and he can't run. He's never hit .300 in a season (Pujols has never hit lower than .312 in a season). He's not going to age well; he's going to fall of the cliff. Pujols is a few years older, but he's also got much more value. He will age a lot more gracefully, because he's a much better athlete. He's a top-flight defensive first baseman who currently hits for legendary power, but also terrific average (.328 lifetime). He'll still hit the ball around and get on base, even once his power starts to fade. I'm not confident that we can say that about Prince.

Above is my thought process. I'm inclined that neither will be solid options actually due to the number of years they want.

I would rather the Cubs go after Fielder than Pujols. Fielder is just coming into his prime and would make a great investment for the next 7 years. I think Pujols has more productive years left but I think he is on the backside of his career. I am not at all worried about Fielders body type as it is not like he put on all this weight after being a pro player. He has always been big and his body seems to support his weight fine as he has been one of the more durable players the past several years.

But honestly I would be happy to see either in a Cub uniform as it is not to often you can improve your team while severely weakening a division rival.

The bolded is true, but we are talking about age 24-28, but when he gets 4 years in and is 32 will he be that durable, and my doubts are high. I have said this many times if you could manage a 5 year contract for either of them that would be GREAT.

The bolded is true, but we are talking about age 24-28, but when he gets 4 years in and is 32 will he be that durable, and my doubts are high. I have said this many times if you could manage a 5 year contract for either of them that would be GREAT.

I am with you there, ideally a 5 year contract would be nice on either of them. But I think the market will stretch it to 7.

When you look at either of these players ask yourself which player has the better chance of improving on his numbers and/or if either of them has peeked. Just going by the stats it appears Pujols best years are behind him as his production is starting to slide while Fielder is just hitting his prime as his production is going up. Between the 2 which of them will give you the better production for the life of the contract (5-7 years)? Say you are right and Fielder does start breaking down when he gets into his 30's, you still may have gotten better production out of him than Pujols who is already in his 30's. After 5 years Pujols will be 36 years old, his production WILL have dropped off, Fielder we really don't know as he will still only be 32 years old. Fielder bats left handed while Pujols bats right handed, I think this is huge also. Fielder is a big boy but it does not appear to be fat, everything on him appears to be enormous and his legs look like tree trunks. I would be willing to take a chance on someone that has worked on strengthening his lower body (legs & knees) as much as his upper body.

Honestly I could careless what either of them do over the life of their contract if either of them will bring a World Series to Chicago. If in 2013 or 2014 the Cubs get a WS win and the person they have signed never plays another game I will say money well spent.

Pena not traded. Pulled back off waivers

Dumb move that I will never understand. I do not care if you just get a B level prospect for Pena the Cubs are not going anywhere this year and you can always resign him in the off season. I am sure the Yankees have something to offer for a left handed power hitter that could be used to spell Teixeira at first base or improve the DH position by using Pena over Posada.

LaHair now has 36 HRs, 105 RBIs, and a .332 BA. Let's see what he's got! If nothing else perhaps LaHair could be used to platoon Soriano next year in LF (a position he has played in the minors).

When do they expand to 40 man rosters. I thought it was Sept. 1. I haven't heard of any moves yet? Iowa season ends monday, is that when the call ups occur?

Latest posts