Help setting up DirecTV for tailgate

schatz247

Trying to set up DirecTV this Saturday for tailgating. Will be using a standard def receiver as I am not to tech savvy, nor have the patience for a HD receiver. Anyone on here able to dumb it down enough. I have read up a lot on it and still know I'm missing something. Also I can't trial run at home due to building I live in. So any tips or tricks to the trade would be great. Mainly doing it this weekend in preparation for the night game.
Thanks!

I just went through this process for the first time a few weeks ago. The key is to make sure that the tripod or mount you use for the dish is level. You can set the dish alignment (elevation, tilt) ahead of time so that you don't have to mess with it at the tailgate. You might want to get a compass to help you set the azimuth too. It took me a few practice runs but now I can have it up and running within 5 minutes. Check out dishpointer.com to get the settings for the location you'll be in.

I use a tripod, works out well
I live in central Iowa so when in Iowa City you point it a little farther to the west than at home.
just set it on the signal strength turn volume up and move it back and forth till you get a signal vary easy
the tripod I got was for an antenna and I had to put a sleeve around the center pipe to make it large enough

I use a tripod, works out well
I live in central Iowa so when in Iowa City you point it a little farther to the west than at home.
just set it on the signal strength turn volume up and move it back and forth till you get a signal vary easy
the tripod I got was for an antenna and I had to put a sleeve around the center pipe to make it large enough

Agreed. We have been doing it the last two years now. I usually just start at due south and then start moving it west. You have to go through the satellite setup process each time you set it up. You use the signal meter option and the tv will beep. When you start picking up a signal it will beep faster. For standard def you only need upper 70's signal strength for reception.

yes...tried hd last week. No luck. All I have is hdtv's. abut while tailgating vision may get a little blurry so hd is then irrelevant.

Why don't you just buy the tailgater? 3 clicks on the remote and you have TV. Everything is done automatic after selecting your state you are in. You have TV in 2min or less everytime. This sells for $350 which is a steal.

Last edited:
Why don't you just buy the tailgater? 3 clicks on the remote and you have TV. Everything is done automatic after selecting your state you are in. You have TV in 2min or less everytime. This sells for $350 which is a steal.

For DirecTV?
something I may need to look into in the future...

Tailgater is for Dish Network only. It costs $350 if you already have Dish Network.

DirecTV has a similar option called Sat-go. I believe that costs $499 (around 400 for sure).

Google "Dish Network Tailgater" or "DirecTV Sat-go" for more information.

The key is to saw the dish in half, then mount the halves on opposite corners of your roof so they can triangulate.

Tailgater is for Dish Network only. It costs $350 if you already have Dish Network.

DirecTV has a similar option called Sat-go. I believe that costs $499 (around 400 for sure).

Google "Dish Network Tailgater" or "DirecTV Sat-go" for more information.

Excellent. Thanks.

Latest posts