Heinrich a Hog

SamsonHawk515

Urbandale's OG has chosen to play ball in the SEC for the Razorbacks.

BB went North for this monster, Hawks let the number one and number two prospects leave the state.

That's a loss. Too bad. Time to find another guard. If we had miss out, I'd rather it be a ol. We can get those at least

Urbandale's OG has chosen to play ball in the SEC for the Razorbacks.

BB went North for this monster, Hawks let the number one and number two prospects leave the state.

did iowa offer? i'm guessing iowa has other ideas as to who is #1 and #2 in the state. again - if they offered, then i'll eat my words.

did iowa offer? i'm guessing iowa has other ideas as to who is #1 and #2 in the state. again - if they offered, then i'll eat my words.

No Iowa did not offer. Kind of similar to that Meekers (sp?) kid from Prairie last year who chose ISU. Never got an offer from Iowa. In both cases the Iowa coaches must have liked what they saw in other players. Can't really argue with their success at finding and developing offensive lineman.

I'm willing to bet the Iowa staff said they had two or three schollies in the OL after last year's haul. Sounds like we got two commits immediately, so Iowa never offered Heinrich. If Iowa thought he was considerably better than who they got, he would have had an offer and we may have waited on the kid from Algona perhaps. I'm with DP5555, this is one area you can't argue about development and history of the OL. For those who point out our running stats over the past 4-5 years...I'll direct you to the guys that stand behind the QB...therein lies the problem.

Not sure why we didn't offer Heinrich or Foster but I'm hoping it was something the coaches saw that made them think they wouldn't be a good fit for Iowa's blocking schemes. We'll never know the real reason but I've got to go with Kirk on this. Offensive line is the one area where we've been pretty successful over the years. I wish Heinrich and Foster well. They might turn out to be very good. I just think we'll be ok.

I think the Meekers situation had a lot more to do with his work ethic and attitude. That's what it sounded like anyways. From what I heard he would show flashes of great ability and then just take plays off. That's not the kind of kid Ferentz is going to target. They want players with a mean streak. I think they'd prefer taking a chance on an under the radar kid who plays 110% over a known commodity who lacks the fire to be great. In some cases that may be a mistake, but by and large I think it's a pretty good strategy.

I'm not sure what they didn't like about this Heinrich kid. By all accounts he seems like a good young man. He had some nice offers and a high GPA. I know a coach from Urbandale so maybe I'll try to do a little digging.

I think the Meekers situation had a lot more to do with his work ethic and attitude. That's what it sounded like anyways. From what I heard he would show flashes of great ability and then just take plays off. That's not the kind of kid Ferentz is going to target. They want players with a mean streak. I think they'd prefer taking a chance on an under the radar kid who plays 110% over a known commodity who lacks the fire to be great. In some cases that may be a mistake, but by and large I think it's a pretty good strategy.

I'm not sure what they didn't like about this Heinrich kid. By all accounts he seems like a good young man. He had some nice offers and a high GPA. I know a coach from Urbandale so maybe I'll try to do a little digging.
The work ethic thing if true would be a huge red flag to me. Sometimes you can do great things with a player who's willing to do the work while you can try everything and it may not work if the player isn't willing to push himself. I have no idea if this is the case but if it is true it would explain a lot.

Offensive linemen need to have three things: great foot work, a body frame that can put on necessary weight, and probably most importantly a great work ethic. Fans aren't going to see the foot work or work ethic. Coaches are.

Sounds like alot of Ferentz apologists on this thread.

Funny, schools named Oregon, Louisville, California, Kansas State and Arkansas to name a few saw the skill set and work ethic needed to be a BCS recruit. I guess those schools have no clue how to evaluate athletes.

Iowa, again, can't keep the state's top prospects in house, again the Hawks let the top OL leave the state and head to a school down south.

Funny, schools named Oregon, Louisville, California, Kansas State and Arkansas to name a few saw the skill set and work ethic needed to be a BCS recruit. I guess those schools have no clue how to evaluate athletes.

Iowa, again, can't keep the state's top prospects in house, again the Hawks let the top OL leave the state and head to a school down south.

I am far from a KF apologist regarding O-lineman he has made a lot of dudes millionaires. When it comes to developing o-linemen I will give KF a pass all day long.

Offensive linemen need to have three things: great foot work, a body frame that can put on necessary weight, and probably most importantly a great work ethic. Fans aren't going to see the foot work or work ethic. Coaches are.

I would add given the zone blocking scheme Iowa runs they need guys with athleticism that can reach that 2nd level where they can get their paws on linebackers and safeties.

I am not a KF apologist at all, but it is funny when the best OLINE schools in the area did not offer him. This kid may be great, but because Oregon and Arkansas wanted him doesnt mean much. Oregon runs a completely different system with Olinemen. I wish we ran their system but we dont. Cal sucks and Kansas state plays in the Big 12 which is the equivalent of playing on Mars with philosophy. Arkansas would be more similar to Iowa but either they saw something Iowa didnt, or just as possible Iowa saw something as a negative that Arkansas didnt. I wont lose sleep over in state prospects Iowa doesnt offer.

And this isnt even related to the Pierschbacher (sp?) thing because Iowa wanted him. Come on.

Sorry, guys, but I will trust the Iowa staff rather than internet posters on whom to recruit in the offensive line area. Furthermore, just because other power 5 schools show interest does not mean they will offer, or that the kid will be successful. Pick another area to bash Iowa recruiting results, like good QB'or running backs. Then I will be right there with you.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1651911/highlights/163666376/v2

Clearly you're correct, your sources must be top notch. No place for a brawler like this on an Iowa roster. In regards to the Cedar Falls Olinemen great we offered and off he went.

I watched that whole highlight reel. I see a lot of pancakes, but he never seems to detach from his blocks and spends a lot of time on the ground. And pass protection seems to be lacking here as well...

Latest posts