Heard Dave Schwartz on KXNO yesterday

He has two eyes.....that is all it takes to know this program is a mess.

My 2¢... Being able to identify some problems is one thing. Predicting a return to pre-Fry is another. Credentials and proof to support the statement aren't the worst thing to ask for.

I disagree with him that if we don't do something regarding the present coaching situation that we will fall back into the era like back before the Hayden days when we went 17 years of losing seasons. I think for Iowa to go back to those days, they would have to hire a new coach, then it would be a disaster after 3 years, then you can talk that way. I went to the hawk games in the Pre Hayden era and it was horrible, where every game was non competitive with no talent anywhere. I don't see it ever getting that bad even if Kirk fulfills his contract.

Agreed. My brother was in the marching band then. They played the Iowa Fight Song for first downs.... because if they played it for scores they might not play it at all.

I just don't think iowa football can drop THAT much more. Sure it can get a little worse. Bring in a coach that almost always beats terrible teams and that guarantees at least 4-5 wins a year.

Really? You have a short memory, then... or did you forget 2012? I've been a Hawk fan a long time. Hayden brought Iowa out of the depths, and it was MUCH worse than it is now. Before Hayden came in, people would have been ecstatic with 7 wins.... heck even with 4 wins!

Really? You have a short memory, then... or did you forget 2012? I've been a Hawk fan a long time. Hayden brought Iowa out of the depths, and it was MUCH worse than it is now. Before Hayden came in, people would have been ecstatic with 7 wins.... heck even with 4 wins!

2012 proves my point. If we had a coach that beats terrible teams, we would hover around a .500 record every year at worst. We haven't been doing much better than that for the last 5 years, and it seems like we're going the wrong direction.

Sure there is a small chance that we will hire a terrible coach and end up with teams that can't beat the horrible teams on our schedule. We would probably have to do that twice though before we had to worry about the program itself going in the dumps.

PC, You cant think it is a small chance. It is probable, Do you understand how comptative The sport is. Everyone is spending millions and only a few win. Every week half the teams lose. Im not saying we shouldn't move on. But anyone that doesn't understand the risk of ending up with a 2-3 win team is kidding themselves.

If Michigan can drop as bad as they have the last decade, then don't kid yourself, Iowa could fall very fast and not dig out for awhile.

Yep. And we are currently on way down that road with our current coaching staff. kfootball has was 6 more games than UM since Rich Rod took over in 2008. And everyone seems to agree that both Rich Rod and Brady Hoke sucked as HC's at UM. Six more wins, folks...6. That's it.

I was around in the 70's, and honestly those teams were not much worse than the 2012 team that went 4-8. Commings had decent defenses but no offenses, yet I would bet his 1976 and 1977 teams were just about as good as Iowa's 2007 or 2012 squads.

But a lot has changed since 1978 that makes expectations naturally higher. For one, ticket prices have skyrocketed. For another, we're paying a coach a ton of money. And there are more cupcakes on the schedule than there were in 1977 as well. Just about any decent coach can pencil in three wins even before the season starts anymore, so to get a total of 7/12 means you don't need to beat too many more people to do it (you only need to go 4-4 in the B10).

The people who are 'woe is us we should be happy with 7 wins a year because we're lowly ole Iowa and we can't play 'sexy' football and we can't recruit good players and we have to turn 2 stars into NFL players' are starting out with a losing perspective on things. Don't make excuses. To me that's sadder than having a down year every so often.

Developing players isn't the problem but EVERYONE develops players hell I've seen a ton of FCS games those teams have some fantastic players who cares. Watching kirk try to prepare for a game and come out slow and unmotivated is HIS FAULT pure and simple. Watching Davis and him try to get on the same page offensively is like watching two monkeys humping a football it's awkward and pointless.

As for Phil Parker hey dude bring the D into the 21st century.

My 2¢... Being able to identify some problems is one thing. Predicting a return to pre-Fry is another. Credentials and proof to support the statement aren't the worst thing to ask for.

Here's a pretty comprehensive rundown.

http://clas.uiowa.edu/sjmc/people/david-asa-schwartz

I also know Dave from my time at the DI (he was the sports department's writing coach and really helped me a lot in my first year on staff). He's not just some nerd who doesn't know anything.

Yep. And we are currently on way down that road with our current coaching staff. kfootball has was 6 more games than UM since Rich Rod took over in 2008. And everyone seems to agree that both Rich Rod and Brady Hoke sucked as HC's at UM. Six more wins, folks...6. That's it.

Good point Arvada. That is only about 1 more win per year and we don't have the likes of Notre Dame on our preseason schedule like they had.

By they way, if I accidentally did a thumbs down I apologize. Not sure if it took it back off :)

You don't need to have played football at a high level in order to be able to dissect it and cover it as a journalist. If so, some of us dissecting it on this board should find other things to do with our time.

Dave's pedigree as a journalist is pretty fantastic and he's been a diehard Hawkeye fan for more than 20 years. I'm certain that article wasn't easy for him to write.

that is crazy talk.

for examples, look no further than last years team - where many members - like #59 on the Cowboys - are at now, and this years' team where a lightly recruited guy from Denison IA turns into an Outland and Consensus All American. #59 on the Cowboys came in as a 2* RB and Brandon didn't start playing OL until his JR year in HS. Development? I say yes.
Yet Iowa was 7-6. There isn't enough talent anymore on the roster and that's a fact. Talent doesn't have in Kirk's words "the best bowl prep they've ever had" and get curb stomped by a 6-6 Tennessee team playing a lot of underclassmen.

Good point Arvada. That is only about 1 more win per year and we don't have the likes of Notre Dame on our preseason schedule like they had.

By they way, if I accidentally did a thumbs down I apologize. Not sure if it took it back off :)

No worries, bogeyman; I got the thumbs UP from you. Mucho appreciado. However, some "berniend" character gave me a thumbs down. Apparently, that poster doesn't like or understand facts.

Latest posts