Headline NBC Sports Iowa might ban Punt Returns

How can a major college coach being paid millions admit he is unable to coach a play that High Schools coach?

Do they recruit specifically for a returner much as it is? Last one I can remember was during the 2004 season.

He made a statement. BFD. Until that becomes an edict carried out in the games, it means nothing, like most of what he says at a press conference.

Well said except for the BFD part. Its a BFD because the comment itself sounds so dumb. Even if he really feels this way, fine. I'm not against it if it stops the fake punt ****. Because its a serious ******* problem for Iowa.

But that comment goes right next to comments you want to make about your buddy's wife or how much you may hate your boss. You keep them in your thought bubble. You don't say them out loud.

"Dallas Cowboys to abandon forward pass after Romo's interception."

This should be an onion article, but sadly the Iowa football program has become a satirical version of a real football program.

Iowa will not be better than a 7 win team with this set of coaches. It just won't happen.

He made a statement. BFD. Until that becomes an edict carried out in the games, it means nothing, like most of what he says at a press conference.

His statement is not a problem. The issue for me is that he has failed miserably to fix a problem (getting burned by fake punts) that a youth flag football coach could fix.
And to top it off, make really stupid excuses as to why it happens.

I agree with this decision. If there is a problem the coach needs to make the adjustments and he is doing just that. The title is also misleading it is no more punt return formation, not no more punt returns. There may still be chances to return out of safe or block formation. It is more like an interception return in that case the return guy has to see if he can make something happen.

No it's not. Re-read Ferentz's comment. If what he meant is what you are suggesting above, I think he would have said that. He did not.

If the return guy has an open lane there is no way they will have him fair catch no matter what formation they are in. He used the term "may" so that leaves it open to a return if it is open.

[h=1]"it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"[/h]
Words to live by, Kirk. Words to live by.

my god... embarrassed on the national stage.

35 years ago, Iowa was a punchline in college football...hapless losers...17 straight years of futility.

Then we hired Hayden Fry. He dug up all the snakes, changed attitudes and turned the program around. We were players...widely respected around the country. He changed the face of IOWA football.

Ferentz is sending us back into the dumper. The above article removes any doubt.

What the hell does it take to get through to some of you? It's time to get rid of KFz before any more damage is done.

I'll get right on that.

You mean, like Penn State stupid, or firing-Lane-Kiffin-on-the-team-bus-at-4AM stupid?
Just curious Bob62. What do you see wrong with the firing of Kiffin. The USC AD had seen enough and made a midseason change. Would it made any difference to fire him over coffee at 10AM? Do you think Barta would have the brass to make a move like this?

Just curious Bob62. What do you see wrong with the firing of Kiffin. The USC AD had seen enough and made a midseason change. Would it made any difference to fire him over coffee at 10AM? Do you think Barta would have the brass to make a move like this?

Do it with class. Do a follow-up press conference. Do whatever. Pulling the guy off the team bus, presumably in front of his players, is bush league.

As for Barta, if/when he has to fire Kirk Ferentz, I expect him to do it with class, professionalism and the appropriate gratitude for the positive things Kirk Ferentz has done for the program.

By the looks of the posts the past few days, I am pretty sure I am in the minority on that, though.

Latest posts