Headline NBC Sports Iowa might ban Punt Returns

That is irresponsible journalism. That little blurb is way out of context when the backdrop is the7 consecutive successful fake punts since 2010. I am not defending KF by any stretch, here, but that article is slanted.

That is irresponsible journalism. That little blurb is way out of context when the backdrop is the7 consecutive successful fake punts since 2010. I am not defending KF by any stretch, here, but that article is slanted.

Huh? Kirk's quotes are actually worse than what was painted in the item:

I think I indicated that after the game. If you pressed me today I’d say we may never return a punt again, just because when you do that, the blocked pass you have to turn and go with those guys to shadow them. When you do that you open the door. And Michigan State did a pretty good job of taking advantage of it, to their credit. What helped us a couple of weeks ago we paid for on Saturday and cost us a field goal and a possession. So, yeah, I may be leaning towards where you never see us try to return one again. We may just try to catch it and keep it off the ground.

Seriously you know how stupid this looks for KF. Wow!!

Iowa might ban punt returns | CollegeFootballTalk

my god... embarrassed on the national stage.

35 years ago, Iowa was a punchline in college football...hapless losers...17 straight years of futility.

Then we hired Hayden Fry. He dug up all the snakes, changed attitudes and turned the program around. We were players...widely respected around the country. He changed the face of IOWA football.

Ferentz is sending us back into the dumper. The above article removes any doubt.

What the hell does it take to get through to some of you? It's time to get rid of KFz before any more damage is done.

Last edited:
I agree with this decision. If there is a problem the coach needs to make the adjustments and he is doing just that. The title is also misleading it is no more punt return formation, not no more punt returns. There may still be chances to return out of safe or block formation. It is more like an interception return in that case the return guy has to see if he can make something happen.

I agree with this decision. If there is a problem the coach needs to make the adjustments and he is doing just that. The title is also misleading it is no more punt return formation, not no more punt returns. There may still be chances to return out of safe or block formation. It is more like an interception return in that case the return guy has to see if he can make something happen.

^^ agree, KF is going to finally make the adjustment to rush the punter and guard against the fake. maybe the punter will kick a low punt that can be returned.

Too many on this site are going extremely negative about this article.

I hate the 7 fake punts and onside kicks as they have cost us many games. KF was slow to do something but I hope they stop the problem.

Huh? Kirk's quotes are actually worse than what was painted in the item:

Embarrassing. Does he really think anyone (with a brain) buys that ridiculous excuse?

Setting up a return? Get serious. Rush the punter & occupy their blockers, EVERY FRICKIN PUNT. That philosophy will not hinder our punt return game.

Ferentz has went from a coach in demand by the NFL to a punch line.
Time for him to drift off into the sunset. New blood is needed in Iowa City.

To me this is the easy way out. You cannot tell me that there is not a way to watch the fake while setting up the return. It appears only Iowa seems to have this issue.

He made a statement. BFD. Until that becomes an edict carried out in the games, it means nothing, like most of what he says at a press conference.

John, maybe now that question about "reputational risk" isn't quite so ridiculous. Hell gary may be asking it to himself.

Honestly, I would much rather Ferentz send the house to try block a punt/make sure no fake punt gets by than set up the return. The odds of blocking a punt are actually about the same as returning one for a touchdown.

the only people who read NBC Sports are notre dame fans. They have the least content related to cfb among major outlets.

Latest posts