He can frustrate us with his stretch plays, but man a first class guy

The thing that stands out to me and has for quite awhile is how much he keeps up with his former players regardless of what type of performer They were on the field. I think he genuinely takes pride in the guys that make it to the NFL As well as the guys that do something outside of football on the same level.

there are not many guys like Kirk around anymore and Iowa is fortunate to have him

I think the general theme of that interview was job security, and I'll just leave it at that.

Spot on it seems. Numerous times the words stability and consistency rolled off his tongue. Clearly he didn't want his coaching career bouncing his family around.

Nothing wrong with that. It's just an employee mindset instead of an entrepreneur's mindset. And with an employee mindset there will be just enough average to slightly above average performance to keep their job with no innovation or calculated risk taking to excel further.

Look at how Saban retooled his offense (a few years ago) as well as Orgeron at LSU (this year I believe). Just a couple examples of coaches with an entrepreneur mindset who are not afraid to risk to, at least once, breath the rarefied air at the top.

At the end of the day us fans are quite foolish to expect entrepreneur performance from an employee and for him to just suddenly change.

Spot on it seems. Numerous times the words stability and consistency rolled off his tongue. Clearly he didn't want his coaching career bouncing his family around.

Nothing wrong with that. It's just an employee mindset instead of an entrepreneur's mindset. And with an employee mindset there will be just enough average to slightly above average performance to keep their job with no innovation or calculated risk taking to excel further.

Look at how Saban retooled his offense (a few years ago) as well as Orgeron at LSU (this year I believe). Just a couple examples of coaches with an entrepreneur mindset who are not afraid to risk to, at least once, breath the rarefied air at the top.

At the end of the day us fans are quite foolish to expect entrepreneur performance from an employee and for him to just suddenly change.

Yank yank

One of my best friends has a freshman on the team and coach goes out of his way to be polite, spend time, ask about family any time he sees him. A true class act. He is exactly as advertised in person.

Never had an issue with him personally. Nice to have him as opposed to scumbags like Dantonio and any PSU coach ever.

KFz is as good a man as there is in college football.

I've heard it before, but it's fun to hear it from KFz... they had to throw Bob Sanders out of practice once in a while because it couldn't dial it back.

Last edited:
Ya know, I have to admit as much as I get pissed at KF, an interview like that puts everything in perspective. He's no different than you or me. I stop and think of the OSU's, the Alabama's, and God forbid me even saying Nebraska and their fucked up way of thinking, it has to be a Nat'l Champ or go home. There is no in between. I honestly feel there is no caring feeling a coach has for his team at places like that. Coach Ferentz truly feels an honest, loving bond with his staff, his players, and his community. I guess we should do and feel the same. That was some good stuff. Glad I watched it. It just reinforces my own life and how I approach things, good AND bad

Ya know, I have to admit as much as I get pissed at KF, an interview like that puts everything in perspective. He's no different than you or me. I stop and think of the OSU's, the Alabama's, and God forbid me even saying Nebraska and their fucked up way of thinking, it has to be a Nat'l Champ or go home. There is no in between. I honestly feel there is no caring feeling a coach has for his team at places like that. Coach Ferentz truly feels an honest, loving bond with his staff, his players, and his community. I guess we should do and feel the same. That was some good stuff. Glad I watched it. It just reinforces my own life and how I approach things, good AND bad

I think the word is finally out that if you are a good high school player and you want to develop your full potential as an athlete and grow into a responsible adult, Iowa is the place. Ferentz expects a lot from his players but gives a lot in return. Iowa is "big boy world" where you grow up quickly. It's not for everyone, but the players who go there learn real life skills as well as developing into Big Ten football players.

Contrast Iowa to Nebraska, where the drama never ends. They recruit based solely on recruiting rankings. It is much different, I think.

I prefer Ferentz. And it does show up on the field.....it really does.

Latest posts