Hayden

Wow! Going by that pic and if it were me I probably would not have recognized him. Father Time is cruel and undefeated.

Wow! Going by that pic and if it were me I probably would not have recognized him. Father Time is cruel and undefeated.

I kind of thought the same thing, but 88 years is going to take it's effect on everyone. I've thought for quite some time that it's going to be tough whenever that day comes.

Hahahaha, you don't expect to browse HawkeyeNation and see a picture of your kids on there! It was a very cool experience. I had met Coach Fry a few times when I was on the golf team and he would be playing at Finkbine. Always a true class act.

We went to a grocery story that I hadn't been to in probably 6 months, if not more. Kids wanted to eat at a pizza place and Mommy was at a concert, so we went. I had to stop to get some stuff to watch the fight and decided to go to Kroger right there. Walking in from the car, we see a nice black H2 with a tigerhawk hitch cover. I point it out to the kids and they say "it's another Hawkeye!" The lady putting groceries in the back seat is finishing and looks out and I say "We like your hitch cover! Are you from Iowa?" She laughs and says "My husband is Mr. Iowa!" I can see the top of his head in the car, but don't think she means anything other than he's a big fan. We start walking inside and since they are the first handicap spot as you come out of the store, I can see the driver peeking around to see who is wife is talking to and is rolling down the window. I wave and do a double take, "Coach Fry?! How are you, sir?" He talked to us for a few minutes like we were old friends (aren't all Hawkeyes?) He said it's been a struggle with all of his surgeries, but he's hanging in there. When I asked if I could take a picture of him with our kids, he said "well, let me see if I can get out of this thing." I said "Coach, you just sit right there and don't move. This will be perfect!"

He asked the kids if they were ready for some Hawkeye Football and we all said "of course!" He flashed his smile, which is as big as ever. Very cool and crazy experience to run into him at a grocery store down here. Definitely wasn't expected.

I told the kids afterwards that there is possibly 1 or 2 ladies on this planet that can say "My husband is Mr. Iowa" and be correct and that she was one of them!

I thought he was really showing old age when I saw him on tv during the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame deal a few years back

Brad-Budde-and-Hayden-Fry-at-the-Rose-Bowl-2010-300x215.png

What a great man. Im glad he is still as great as ever.

Great story. And a great opportunity for your kids. I would love my daughters to meet the man that brought Iowa back to prominence.

Thanks for sharing your story and photo! Doesn't get any better than that! I'm glad your kids got to meet him. I never have. The closest I'll probably come is to have my photo taken next to his statue! :)

Nice picture wth the coach. You have a beautiful family. I hope you're all braving the weather.

Latest posts