Hayden Fry in Close Games

I remember Iowa basically pulling out a miracle against Tulsa back in 93 at Kinnick. I think they scored with no time on the clock on and end around to Willie Guy from about 10 yards out. Still down 1, they decided to go for 2 and Burmeister hit Slutzker by the back pylon.

I'm just grateful we have overtime now for football. I can't imagine the number of ties we would have with Kirk's approach to playing it close.

I kinda wish they didn't have overtimes in '09.

I wish we hadn't played NW in '09.

To the point of the post. I still think what Fry did is very impressive, however what Ferentz has done is impressive too. Iowa could be Illinois, Purdue, or Iowa State. Let that sink in.

So... .405 vs. .400. Essentially identical.

I'm confused at the bolded. Kirk is 20-30. Hayden was 22-15-6 according to Jon's summary at the bottom.

You're right, not sure where I got .405.

In close games Kirk is .400, Hayden .512, or actually .581 if you count ties as 0.5 win.

From 1979 to 1992 the scholarship limit was 95, now it is 85. That does affect things a little as it relates to parity.

To me, this is the number one reason why I hate most comparisons between Ferentz and Fry. While I think Ferentz deserves plenty of criticism for some of his choices in games against lesser opponents, Fry's lesser opponents were a lot "lesser" than Ferentz'. Conversely, the elite teams in Fry's era were generally more superior to Iowa compared to Ferentz's era.

It drives me crazy when fans talk about Hayden blowing away the bad teams. Yes, he did that with great regularity, but a lot of that is due to the quality of those opponents. FCS teams are much better today than they were during Fry's era. ISU and Northwestern used to be horrible. Take a look at some of the scores from yesterday. Eastern Washington put up 42 points and over 500 yards on Oregon yesterday, last year's runner-up. Many of us thought Iowa could lose to ISU yesterday. That sort of thing was unthinkable during Fry's era.

Fry was great, but Fry also went into halftime in 1995 down 56-7 to Ohio State. That hasn't happened under Ferentz. I realize '95 is after the scholarship limit was reduced, but I think there has been a massive change in talent distribution in college football since then.

Fry was obviously more of a full throttle coach. Explains a lot of the blowouts wins, and also the blowout losses. When you go full throttle, things can avalanche quickly for the good or bad.

To me, this is the number one reason why I hate most comparisons between Ferentz and Fry. While I think Ferentz deserves plenty of criticism for some of his choices in games against lesser opponents, Fry's lesser opponents were a lot "lesser" than Ferentz'. Conversely, the elite teams in Fry's era were generally more superior to Iowa compared to Ferentz's era.

It drives me crazy when fans talk about Hayden blowing away the bad teams. Yes, he did that with great regularity, but a lot of that is due to the quality of those opponents. FCS teams are much better today than they were during Fry's era. ISU and Northwestern used to be horrible. Take a look at some of the scores from yesterday. Eastern Washington put up 42 points and over 500 yards on Oregon yesterday, last year's runner-up. Many of us thought Iowa could lose to ISU yesterday. That sort of thing was unthinkable during Fry's era.

Fry was great, but Fry also went into halftime in 1995 down 56-7 to Ohio State. That hasn't happened under Ferentz. I realize '95 is after the scholarship limit was reduced, but I think there has been a massive change in talent distribution in college football since then.

how is ISU not still horrible?

theve improved but they are still horrible, no one loses to them on a consistent basis but Iowa and Kansas.

how is ISU not still horrible?

theve improved but they are still horrible, no one loses to them on a consistent basis but Iowa and Kansas.

They are still a bad team, but they are infinitely better than they were in the 80's - 90's. It's not even close. Their win/loss is still bad but they don't get pounded like they used to.

Win or lose - Hayden's Hawks were a lot more exciting to watch. You always felt they could/might win against anyone. I don't feel that way about the program now.

Latest posts