Hawks with two first round picks?

HawkPhreek

Seen a few big boards that have Clayborn and Ballard going first round. Iowa ever had 2 first round picks same year?

i would love it, but would be very surprised if Ballard went in the first round. i can't recall any time in my lifetime that we've had 2 first-rounders.

In 1986 we had 3 first rounders Long, Harmon, and Haight and in 1997 we had 2 Knight and Verba. Those are the only years that come to mind.

I hope it happens. Guys are going to be popping in the tape to watch Clayborn and be stoked to watch Ballard as well. Could easily see both going in the first round. Ballard is a prototypical 3-4 DE.

Don't want to be a negative nancy, but has Clayborn really earned 1st round draft status? He had a great Junior campaign but came out flat his Senior year. His AA accolades don't sway me, he got that on reputation alone this year.

It will depend on how many DE's go in the 1st round, but I see Clayborn being the 3rd or 4th taken, wouldn't be suprised to see him bumped to 2nd round.

Don't want to be a negative nancy, but has Clayborn really earned 1st round draft status? He had a great Junior campaign but came out flat his Senior year. His AA accolades don't sway me, he got that on reputation alone this year.

It will depend on how many DE's go in the 1st round, but I see Clayborn being the 3rd or 4th taken, wouldn't be suprised to see him bumped to 2nd round.

Clayborn is a given first round just depends if Ballard is late first or early second.

Clayborn won't be the 3rd or 4th DE taken. He might be the 3rd or 4th from the Big 10 taken, behind Hayward, Kerrigan and Watt. I could see him going late 1st to a good team like Pittsburgh or New England who need an athletic, all around end.

I apologize for the negativity, but this is something that really annoys me. All season, I have heard people say Adrian Clayborn is a "lock" to be drafted in the first round. Very few players are first round locks, and Clayborn is no exception.

For some perspective, at this point last year, these were some projected first rounders:

DE Greg Hardy (drafted in 6th)
DT Arthur Jones (drafted in 5th)
RB Jonathan Dwyer (drafted in 6th)
OT Ciron Black (undrafted)
WR Mardy Gilyard (drafted in 4th)
DE Ricky Sapp (drafted in 5th)

And those were only players that immediately came to mind. A lot can change in four months.

I apologize for the negativity, but this is something that really annoys me. All season, I have heard people say Adrian Clayborn is a "lock" to be drafted in the first round. Very few players are first round locks, and Clayborn is no exception.

For some perspective, at this point last year, these were some projected first rounders:

DE Greg Hardy (drafted in 6th)
DT Arthur Jones (drafted in 5th)
RB Jonathan Dwyer (drafted in 6th)
OT Ciron Black (undrafted)
WR Mardy Gilyard (drafted in 4th)
DE Ricky Sapp (drafted in 5th)

And those were only players that immediately came to mind. A lot can change in four months.

On what planet were all of these guys projected as first rounders?

On what planet were all of these guys projected as first rounders?

I'll try providing citations, but it's difficult with the way mock drafts and big boards are published; the most reliable ones require subscriptions, and free sites generally update over previous editions, making it difficult to find anything but the final versions of 2010 mocks or big boards.

First, I'll admit to being wrong about two players: Ciron Black and Mardy Gilyard. I was wrong about Ciron Black. He was considered a sure-fire first rounder entering the season, but by the end of the season, his stock had fallen considerably (5th round range). I couldn't find anything to back up my claim about Mardy Gilyard being considered a first round pick, but a few articles mentioned his stock had fallen due to character concerns.

Now, for the others:

1. DE Greg Hardy was generally considered a top-10 pick entering his senior season (he was Kiper's top DE at one point, but I can't find supply a link), but he fell to the 6th round. Source from when his stock started to fall.
2. DE Everson Griffen was projected by Mel Kiper to be selected 17th overall pick by the Titans as of January 20, 2010. He was actually picked in the 4th round. Source.
3. DE/OLB Ricky Sapp was projected by Mel Kiper to be selected 22th overall by the Patriots as of January 26, 2010. He was actually picked in the 5th. Source (which also shows Greg Hardy and Brandon LaFell starting to slip into the 2nd).
4. OT Bruce Campbell was considered a top-10 pick after the Combine, but slipped to the 4th round. Source which references his fall.
5. DE Carlos Dunlap was ranked 4th overall by Mel Kiper as of December 2009 (latest version I could find). He was drafted in the 3rd. Source.
6. WR Brandon LaFell was once considered a first round pick but fell to the 3rd, in part due to his 40-time. Source.
7. RB Jonathan Dwyer was more highly-ranked entering his final season, but he was still considered a borderline first rounder (admittedly, not a lock). Still, I think his fall still shows that draft stock can change significantly. Source.

Basically, I just would like everyone to wait until after the Senior Bowl and the Combine until we call anyone, especially Clayborn, a first round lock.

Here's an article that was posted on another site...I think it came from ESPN (sorry, no link that I could find).

Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Clayborn didn't get to the quarterback as often this year as he did in 2009, but he is still the most dynamic pass-rusher on this list. He has a powerful punch to rock offensive tackles back, the active hands to prevent blockers from locking onto his frame and the quick-twitch, lateral mobility to redirect inside after starting outside.

He will sometimes take a split-second too long to react to the snap, but Clayborn has the initial quickness to turn the corner, and he closes well when he has a lane to the quarterback. Film evaluation from this season shows that teams frequently adjusted their protection and forced him to fight through double-teams during my evaluation.

One of Clayborn's biggest weaknesses is his pad level when teams run at him. He exposes his chest and gives offensive tackles a big target. However, he flashes the ability to stack and shed in time to make plays at the line of scrimmage, and he can also close down cutback lanes and make plays in pursuit. At this point Clayborn looks like an early-to-mid first-rounder.

Latest posts