Hawks Win Exhibition, Player by Player Thoughts

good write up. thanks for doing it, wish i could have watched.

side note: really interested to hear your thoughts on the PSU situation.

I disagree on May. It's apparent that he will not/cannot improve his ball handling skills. He again failed to attack or even face the basket. He still dribbles laterally with his back to the basket, almost dribbling for the sake of dribbling. With poor shooting, he is not even a threat to score. His D and rebounding were solid, however.

Overall a very poor effort. NWMST owned the inside game. Basabe played very poorly and got into foul trouble despite limited minutes. We are not quick on the wing.

I am excited about the recent recruiting as well but this years team will not be good unless Basabe can learn to play more consistently and with more energy. Also I don't think they will be good next year either. Especially since they will graduate BC and Gatens who both played very well. Plus while they got some very good recruits they did not recruit a wing player with good ball skills.

Also I would like to add that we have some decent depth this year which is fun to see, the one position that you need depth if you are going to play uptempo is the PG position and BC is it there.

Last edited:
Overall a very poor effort. NWMST owned the inside game. Basabe played very poorly and got into foul trouble despite limited minutes. We are not quick on the wing.

I am excited about the recent recruiting as well but this years team will not be good unless Basabe can learn to play more consistently and with more energy. Also I don't think they will be good next year either. Especially since they will graduate BC and Gatens who both played very well. Plus while they got some very good recruits they did not recruit a wing player with good ball skills.

Also I would like to add that we have some decent depth this year which is fun to see, the one position that you need depth if you are going to play uptempo is the PG position and BC is it there.

I disagree with the overall poor effort comment. Iowa won a game handily over a not good opponent with Basabe doing nothing and Cartwright having an OK game. Those two carried the team last year. Fran experimented with numerous combinations throughout the game and played 11 players including two walkons. I think for the first game of the season it wasn't bad. Fran will have some film to teach off of as well.

If Dev Archie doesn't take care of the weak side box outs he will not see the floor. He was responsible for many of those offensive boards we gave up.

Agree with ForeverHawk.

If anyone thinks that this game was any more than a "test and tune" situation for the Hawks then they are kidding themselves. Exhibitions don't count. It's practice against another team.

I'm sure Fran was trying to figure out who could do what, when, for how long, etc....

That's how it sounded as I listened to the game. Couldn't believe how many players played within the first 10 minutes.

Every year in November, one thing you can count on is overly harsh evaluations of basketball teams. I see it on other boards for other teams too.

People are used to watching football, where every possession is so important, and they evaluate basketball waaaaay to much on the micro.

A first half of a college basketball game is often times moot...other than letting you see what you have to shore up in the second half.

Iowa did a good job of adjusting where they were soft in the first half...and it was the first time they have played in front of a crowd since March.

Every year in November, one thing you can count on is overly harsh evaluations of basketball teams. I see it on other boards for other teams too.

People are used to watching football, where every possession is so important, and they evaluate basketball waaaaay to much on the micro.

A first half of a college basketball game is often times moot...other than letting you see what you have to shore up in the second half.

Iowa did a good job of adjusting where they were soft in the first half...and it was the first time they have played in front of a crowd since March.

Agree that you shouldn't read to much into the first game in and of itself. However, these are things that are a carry over from last year that were not really addressed with recruiting. We didn't get a backup PG, we didn't land a wing with ball skills and Basabe had attitude problems last year as well. This years team has more depth and options so that is definitely a step in the right direction but still a long road to haul.

Hawks Win Exhibition Opener | Hawkeye Nation

Plus links to other outlets and their thoughts on the game

Gatens looked good. I haven't always been a big fan of his but he looks leaner and quicker than he has in the past. He seemed to elevate much better as well. I guess the season will tell but he looked solid.

White is going to be great. He's got the skill to play anywhere on the floor. I agree with your sentiments -- he'll be one of our favorite Hawks.

Latest posts