Hawks vs NW at Wrigley?!

I hope they pull this off this year.I was telling the wife after this years game that we need to go to next years Northwestern game ,and now possibly having it held in Wrigley just made it a lot easier to convince her.

Yeah...Trust me, I hate the Bears with the passions of all passions for the same reasons as I hate the Cubs and their beloved stadium, but I was all about the game at Soldier field a few years back. That made sense. Of course, while Bears fans and Cubs fans are generally one in the same, they don't seem to have an odd (almost sexual) attraction to Soldier Field.

OK, I see your point, one question what are your thoughts of Kinnick?

And you are dead wrong about Bear fans and Soldier field, ask anybody from Chicago if they like what the Bears did to that stadium when they had the renovations a few years ago.

All the haters aside, I think it would be great.

Up until about a year ago, I lived in that neighborhood and I can tell you that a lot of hawkeye fans would really enjoy hanging out on Clark and Southport before and after the game. It would be a good time. Better than in Evanston, IMHO.

It would also be something of an event, which would add interest to the game.

The bottom line is that Iowa just needs to be NW, regardless the venue.

OK, I see your point, one question what are your thoughts of Kinnick?

And you are dead wrong about Bear fans and Soldier field, ask anybody from Chicago if they like what the Bears did to that stadium when they had the renovations a few years ago.

As an Iowa fan I appreciate its history, but I don't slobber on others with excitement as I exhaust myself talking about how great it is, especially when they don't give two sh*ts about Iowa. I also understand that the renovations that were done were necessary regardless of its history.

As far as Soldier Field goes I would say I am dead on. I think people don't talk about it as much because they don't like what was done and therefore tend to talk about it only when questioned. When it comes to Wrigley they (speaking of the fans I know) will go off on a rant about how great it is without noticing that I really don't care.

This is just from my point of view, but I know a lot of people that would agree. But to quote Cubs fans, "maybe next year is the year" people quit talking about Wrigley.

At least there are bars within 3 miles of Wrigley. Good luck finding any near NW's stadium.

Has acquiring alcohol or finding a place to drink ever really been a problem for an Iowa fan anywhere?

I would think any self respecting Hawkeye fan would say no...

Wrigley Field fun fact #231: This stadium has hosted the 2nd highest number of NFL games in league history (Giants' Stadium is 1st).

Wrigley Field fun fact#459: Wrigley is a horrible venue for football.

Also, on a personal note, this game would be pretty bad to see in person, because north Chicago is full of hipster losers who view a visit to Wrigley as "life experience". The Iowa contingent will be lessened thanks to a bunch of trust fund chodes who graduated from small liberal arts colleges cramming the stands just to soak up the ambiance, get drunk, and ruin everyone's day. Although I am a fan of the Cubs, Wrigley has been getting pretty bad lately when the stadium is less of a sports venue and more of an upper-middle class 20-something right of passage.

Wrigley Field fun fact #231: This stadium has hosted the 2nd highest number of NFL games in league history (Giants' Stadium is 1st).

Wrigley Field fun fact#459: Wrigley is a horrible venue for football.

Also, on a personal note, this game would be pretty bad to see in person, because north Chicago is full of hipster losers who view a visit to Wrigley as "life experience". The Iowa contingent will be lessened thanks to a bunch of trust fund chodes who graduated from small liberal arts colleges cramming the stands just to soak up the ambiance, get drunk, and ruin everyone's day. Although I am a fan of the Cubs, Wrigley has been getting pretty bad lately when the stadium is less of a sports venue and more of an upper-middle class 20-something right of passage.

I don't see a whole lot of people doing this on here, but I totally agree with you...

Has acquiring alcohol or finding a place to drink ever really been a problem for an Iowa fan anywhere?

I would think any self respecting Hawkeye fan would say no...

Very true. In the 1991 game at NW, my brothers and I brought numerous cans of beer into the game. There were maybe 12,000 fans at the game, many from Iowa. Hawkeye fans always find a way.

Side note: If NW pulls this off, there's a good chance beer would be served during the game, since it's in a pro stadium. Not that I'm fixated on beer or anything.

The Big Ten most likely would not allow alcohol. Soldier Field was different because that was a non-conference game...but wasn't it awesome that they brought in Bud products specifically for Iowa fans?

The Big Ten BB Tournament is held in Indianapolis at a pro arena and alcohol is only available in the luxury suites. I am pretty sure I once heard about the Big East buying MSG out of alcohol because they wanted to hold their tournament there and MSG said they were selling alcohol or not holding the tournament. I wonder who drank it all?

Last edited:
Northwestern will never schedule a game at Wrigley vs. Iowa, for the very reason that Hawkeye fans are salivating over the idea. Hawkeye fans would buy out the place in about 5 minutes after the tickets go on sale, and we would turn Wrigley into Kinnick East. Northwestern can't be that stupid.

Northwestern will never schedule a game at Wrigley vs. Iowa, for the very reason that Hawkeye fans are salivating over the idea. Hawkeye fans would buy out the place in about 5 minutes after the tickets go on sale, and we would turn Wrigley into Kinnick East. Northwestern can't be that stupid.

Of course, we have a better record of late at NW than at home, so maybe they want it to be more like Kinnick so they have a better chance.

The Big Ten most likely would not allow alcohol. Soldier Field was different because that was a non-conference game...

Ever been to Kinnick North? Beer sales for the whole damn game at EVERY IA/Minny game played there

Latest posts