Hawks to NIT

I'm not giving up on this team just yet. I see tonight's game as an outlier...I mean, how often has Iowa missed on 9 straight possessions to open a game -- or at any point in ANY game this season? Never. Add in 2 missed dunks, and a bunch of missed bunnies, and this was just very unusual for this team. If they can beat MN in their 7/10 game at the BTen tourney, then beat the Illini, it would still be hard to keep the Hawks out of the Big Dance -- depending on what other Bubble Teams do.
Too bad they couldn't get it done tonight, but...Go Hawks!

I'm not giving up on this team just yet. I see tonight's game as an outlier...I mean, how often has Iowa missed on 9 straight possessions to open a game -- or at any point in ANY game this season? Never. Add in 2 missed dunks, and a bunch of missed bunnies, and this was just very unusual for this team. If they can beat MN in their 7/10 game at the BTen tourney, then beat the Illini, it would still be hard to keep the Hawks out of the Big Dance -- depending on what other Bubble Teams do.
Too bad they couldn't get it done tonight, but...Go Hawks!
They play Ohio State I think?

8 days off did the Hawks no favors. Nightmare start for team and nightmare game for Perky. He never got out of his funk, couldn't make a dunk if his life depended upon it.

Nobody to blame but themselves... They lost like 4 games they really shouldn't have earlier in the yr and if they'd have just won half of them they'd probably be in. It took them too long to get some of the guys roles more clearly defined. Dix the last 10 games or so has been great but you go back to the first 12 games or so and he was barely doing anything or even playing very much.

If Iowa beats Ohio State (big if, they are playing great) and then somehow beat IL in the BTT, Iowa is BACK in....but now 0 margin for error. My guess is they lose to Ohio State and they are a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT...which will be tricky with the Women hosting their 1st and 2nd round games as well.

They did not look good yesterday. It may depend on the caliber of the opponent. They will get better for sure.
Yeah, can't afford having one of our best players having a bad game. If 1 of Perkins, Sandfort or Dix doesn't show up, Iowa is very beatable. Got to have all 3 of those guys clicking for it to work especially when you're playing a top 15 opponent.

I thought for most of the conference season that they were headed to the NIT. There was a time where I wasn't even sure about that, worried they wouldn't have a .500 and even qualify fo the NIT. But they started playing bettter, started winning some good games and teased us, IMO.

If they were to get into the Big Dance, we'd have a bad seed and play a tough team and likely replicate our usual first round loss. It would be good for the team to get into the NIT and make a run, give the young guys more playing time which is what they need.

I thought for most of the conference season that they were headed to the NIT. There was a time where I wasn't even sure about that, worried they wouldn't have a .500 and even qualify fo the NIT. But they started playing bettter, started winning some good games and teased us, IMO.

If they were to get into the Big Dance, we'd have a bad seed and play a tough team and likely replicate our usual first round loss. It would be good for the team to get into the NIT and make a run, give the young guys more playing time which is what they need.
I'm pretty sure Fran has made it past the first round more often than he's lost in it.

8 days off did the Hawks no favors. Nightmare start for team and nightmare game for Perky. He never got out of his funk, couldn't make a dunk if his life depended upon it.
Did not research so just recollection / perception ... I literally remember zero times where such long, in-season breaks benefitted the Hawks - bball or football but especially bball. You'd think the extra rest / prep time would help but it seems they come out sluggish, disjointed and shooting terribly - especially when it's a competitive opponent. Hate bye weeks and anything longer than the Saturday - Tuesday - Friday - Tuesday routines.

Did not research so just recollection / perception ... I literally remember zero times where such long, in-season breaks benefitted the Hawks - bball or football but especially bball. You'd think the extra rest / prep time would help but it seems they come out sluggish, disjointed and shooting terribly - especially when it's a competitive opponent. Hate bye weeks and anything longer than the Saturday - Tuesday - Friday - Tuesday routines.
I remember when those cheating Hoosiers sabotaged their own dilapitated arena to avoid playing us when we were on a heater. That break did not help us at all.

Pat said the crowds were pretty bad this season, they have been. They didn't blame the crowd for anything.
The one in high school seems to running the for the hills though because he does not like how the crowds and social media mediums picks on his brothers/dad. Mom McCaffery also hot-headed about it.

Although, I do wonder with Jack how much running over that person in the cross-walk is influencing his decision to play elsewhere? Maybe does not want to hear the taunts at away games that "creative" opposing fans will come up with?

I wonder if the McCaffery's know no one makes them go to a social media site? All they have to do is not click on it.

One of my biggest complaints about things under the McCaffery Era is how some of his players get hot under the collar for social media posts. If I were them, I would be more concerned about my studies, gym time getting better, and the loved ones around me. Not making social media shows and engaging with random fans online they don't know.

Last edited:

Latest posts