157 - Neil Erisman (OSU) maj. dec. Aaron Janssen (I), 16-7
165 - Alex Meade (OSU) dec. Ryan Morningstar (I), 5-3
174 - Jay Borschel (I) maj. dec. Mike Benefiel (OSU), 9-1
184 - Phillip Keddy (I) dec. Clayton Foster (OSU), 3-2
197 - Alan Gelogaev (OSU) dec. Luke Lofthouse (I), 3-2
Hwt. - Jared Rosholt (OSU) dec. Blake Rasing (I), 7-5

Just got home from Carver.
Here is my analysis copied and pasted from my post on Hawkeye Insider:

125 - McDonough absolutely embarrassed and dominated a ranked and experienced wrestler. I mean, it was seriously ugly and embarrassing for OSU.
133 - Dennis had a brainfart at the end of his match. One that he probably shouldn't have wrestled. Brands said he was iffy and really, medically, should still be 5 days or so away from being in the lineup. His conditioning just wasn't there. I'm not making excuses for Dan, but he wasn't himself. That being said, the OSU was an embarrassment to the sport... I have never seen a match (and i've wrestled and been a fan of wrestling for 25 years) where someone backed off and wouldn't wrestle so much. It was a joke.
141 - Jamal Parks... OSUs 4th ranked stud, got his tail whipped, and I mean WHIPPED by Montell Marion. LIke 125, it was embarrassing. He couldn't get his head off of the mat and got ridden for over 4 minutes.
149 - Brent Metcalf threw his opponent around like a rag doll and did what Brent does.
157 - Janssen just wasn't in it... he got his tail whipped pretty badly
165 - Morningstar was Morningstar: waited too long to get his offense going, never took shots and kept the match close and couldn't get over the hump. He does it every year but i'll never fault the guy... he wins big matches and basically helped us win the NC last year. He'll be ready in March.
174 - Borschel destroyed their 7th ranked wrestler... like 125 and 141, it wasn't even close. He drove him into the match for over 4 minutes and basically spent the entire match working on turning him.
184 - Keddy looked decent overall. Good energy, good deep shots but couldn't finish. He was wrestling a good wrestler in Foster and, while the match shouldn't have been this close, he is getting closer to where he needs to be.
197 - Luke Lofthouse outshot, outworked and outwrestled the big Russian. Lofthouse is a 184 pounder and a backup at that. Gelogiev (sp?) is a beast but he simply got outwrestled and looked bad. Smith gave him the evil eye coming off the mat and wouldn't speak to him. For a team that needed bonus points badly, you wouldn't have known it. OSU should be embarrassed with this match... more than any other of the night... except... wait...
HWT - #1 ranked stud Rosholt nearly got beaten at the end by a chippy Blake Rasing who wrestled a great match and never gave up. Like 197, the team should be embarrassed for what he put out. He was frustrated all match and nearly got upset by our second or third HWT who is really raw and not fully in shape yet.

Just got home from Carver.
Here is my analysis copied and pasted from my post on Hawkeye Insider:

133 - Dennis had a brainfart at the end of his match. One that he probably shouldn't have wrestled. Brands said he was iffy and really, medically, should still be 5 days or so away from being in the lineup. His conditioning just wasn't there. I'm not making excuses for Dan, but he wasn't himself. That being said, the OSU was an embarrassment to the sport... I have never seen a match (and i've wrestled and been a fan of wrestling for 25 years) where someone backed off and wouldn't wrestle so much. It was a joke.

Agree 100%! It will be interesting to hear Gables comments on this match during tomorrow nights BTN broadcast. Did you catch the OSU wrestler blowing kisses to the crowd afterwards?

great crowd tonight, just a shade under 11,000

Last edited:
Agree 100%! It will be interesting to hear Gables comments on this match during tomorrow nights BTN broadcast. Did you catch the OSU wrestler blowing kisses to the crowd afterwards?

Yeah I caught it... that kid is a ******* and ranks up there with Varner as far as class-less wrestlers.

During the Borschel match, his opponent poked him in the eye, they stopped action and the OSU wrestler said he was sorry. then proceeded to get his @ss kicked!

I was very disappointed with OSU's wrestling all night. They all seemed like they had been coached to back up and stall as much as possible. They were also gassing halfway through the match. Their 197 pounder who was supposed to be a stud showed that he knew 1 move, an arm drag into a trip. Everything that happened he tried to turn into a trip. Very boring to watch and i still am surprised they somehow kept the score so close.

plenty of people said the crowd was bigger than 11k.....maybe closer to 12k....students and other various things werent counted in or something like that

Here's my rundown from the night.

125 - McD just continues to impress me. He is so savvy, you could never guess he is a RS Fresh by watching him. He does everything right off the mat and just has his mental side of things squared away. Can't wait to see him against Escobedo! As for his match with Notte, he just flat out dominated him and wore him down by riding tough. Right now you could argue that McD has been the most impressive wrestler in the lineup thus far.

133 - Dennis was obviously not ready to wrestle at all. He was gassed early and he nose dived several far ankle attempts. On the other hand as poor as Dan looked he still outwrestled Oliver. A healthy Dennis majors Oliver IMO as Oliver only brings it against lesser opponents.

141 - Marion really shut down a quality opponent in Parks. He dominated him in all positions, I would have liked to see him wrestle from his feet a bit more considering he secured riding time early in the match, but he wrestled the match Brands wanted him to. Everything I have heard is Slaton is done at Iowa, so Marion is our man and he will represent us very well and if you watch Brands' post dual video he talks about the confidence he has in Montell.

149 - Metcalf was his normal dominating self, but I thought this was the smoothest I have seen him this year. He certainly is wrestling with an edge which he always does but it is a little more overstated this year.

157 - I really thought Janssen had a chance to win this match, but he did not show up at all. I think he may have gotten a little too comfortable with his performance at the duals and it showed tonight. He was put on notice by Brands at the press conference and I think he will respond.

165 - Star just continues to live on the edge and it will come back to bite him in matches like this. He needs to come out faster in matches, he can't afford to fall behind because he has trouble generating points. With Star we know what we got and all we can hope for is a similar performance of last years NCAA's.

174 - Jaybo dominated a very good wrestler in Benefiel. Benefiel's mat wrestling was exposed in this match and Jaybo just isn't a good matchup for him this early in his career. You could also argue that Jay has been the most impressive wrestler in the lineup this year.

184 - It was a match of the wounded in this one. Keddy was not able to really commit to is shots and Foster just couldn't get anything going either. It was good to see Keddy pull this match out as he lost 2 similar matches like this last week.

197 - Lofthouse just didn't have the horses to finish any sort of shots against the Russian. With Beatty in there we win this match comfortably. The russian will give up his lead leg much like Randy Lewis used to looking to trap your far wrist for the big move, but he is wide open for duck unders and a good blast double.

HWT - Even though we lost that match I think Rasing will benefit greatly from it. I think the takedown he was able to secure will give him the needed confidence to get his offense going.

I was very disappointed with OSU's wrestling all night. They all seemed like they had been coached to back up and stall as much as possible. They were also gassing halfway through the match. Their 197 pounder who was supposed to be a stud showed that he knew 1 move, an arm drag into a trip. Everything that happened he tried to turn into a trip. Very boring to watch and i still am surprised they somehow kept the score so close.

IIRC, they did this two years ago in CHA too...took it easy early on, then made their moves late.

According to the 2 most reliable, inside posters on TOS, Joe Slaton will be back on the mat soon. What gives? How can those 2 guys, whom have proven to be right over and over again, be getting such conflicting info than USAF?

Any new developments or clarification USAFhawk or Fulsaasfan?

Andbody else catch the russian giving the crowd the finger after his match? Missed it at the dual but saw it on the tape delay. How classless and stupid can you be? Especially considering that was the most aggressive thing he did all night for a match he was supposed to dominate.

I think what they hear over there comes from the family, what I am hearing is coming from someone who is close to the situation but with no ties to the family. There is still a chance for Slaton to come back but from what I was told it was "slim".

I agree completely with what USAFhawk said in his breakdown and couldn't have said it any better myself.

I am also hearing the same things regarding Slaton and that we aren't likely to see him in an Iowa singlet again...

Latest posts