Hawks Have a Shot at a Tourney

ChosenChildren

If Iowa can get to 15 or 16 wins, I think they have a pretty good shot at some type of tournament berth. Here are the facts:

1. 65 teams to the NCAA
2. 32 Teams to the NIT
3. 24 teams to the CIT
4. 16 teams to the CBI

Oregon went to the CBI last year with a 16-17 record and won the tournament.

That is a total of 137 tournament berths. Iowa is currently #98 in the Pomeroy ratings and #104 in Sagarin. It sure seems like someone has to pick Iowa if we finish 16-16.

I really like our chances if we get to 16 wins. A tourney berth would be a big deal for this team after what we have been through the past 4 years.

17 wins - book it.

I made a bet with a buddy before the season started. The o/u was 16.5 and I took the over.

We are sitting with 13 wins currently with home games against:

IU, Wisky and NW.

Away games against:

NW, PSU, Illinois and Nebraska.

We go 4-3 during that stretch and will finish in 7th (ahead of Minny).

Have to admit, after the Campbell game, I wouldn't have picked Iowa to be better than 2-9 in conference right now.

I'd be happy with any kind of tournament and that would exceed any preseason expectations I had.

Defense and Cartwright are the two keys down the stretch IMO. If Cartwright can return to form like he did against PSU (or close to it), we are a much more dynamic team offensively. We typically get consistent production from Marble, White and Gatens, but need that 4th guy (Cartwright, McCabe, Oglesby) to step up. 3-4 or 4-3 would be ok with me. 2-5 or worse would give us 0 momentum going into the BTT....would love to get another shot at Purdue.

Have to admit, after the Campbell game, I wouldn't have picked Iowa to be better than 2-9 in conference right now.

Me neither, at that point I was wondering if Iowa would get to 10 wins overall.

But no way Iowa is dancing this year, they need to get to 19 wins to even get on the bubble and I do not see that happening. I wish we could look at the schedule and say Iowa is going to win this, this, and this game but we do not know what team is going to show up. If they can win another 4 games the NIT may give them a look. The other 2 tournaments have never taken a Big Ten school and I wonder why that is.

But no way Iowa is dancing this year, they need to get to 19 wins to even get on the bubble and I do not see that happening. I wish we could look at the schedule and say Iowa is going to win this, this, and this game but we do not know what team is going to show up. If they can win another 4 games the NIT may give them a look. The other 2 tournaments have never taken a Big Ten school and I wonder why that is.

We're winning out and winning a BIG title in Indy...The only question is, what is our seed going to be....WE'RE BACK!!

I would guess it has less to do with the CBI/CIT not wanting Big Ten schools in general and more that any halfway mediocre Big Ten team is already going to be playing in the NCAAs or the NIT. If you look at last year, for instance, 7 Big Ten teams got into the dance and Northwestern was in the NIT. That left only Iowa and Indiana, with 11 and 12 wins apiece, and Minnesota, who was 17-14 but had lost 10 of their last 11 games. The stink of that season was so bad that I doubt Minnesota would have accepted a CBI/CIT bid even if it was offered-- they just wanted the season to end.

You don't even technically need a .500 record to qualify for the NIT anymore (although every team they've accepted has been at least .500). The NIT is going to want a couple of Big Ten teams, and with 7-8 teams looking likely for the Big Dance, if Iowa can just win 3 of their last 7, they should be a lock along with whichever Big Ten team gets their bubble burst (probably Northwestern or Minnesota).

Is the CBI or CIT televised?

Yes, one of them is on HDNet and I forget the other one (versus?).

You don't even technically need a .500 record to qualify for the NIT anymore (although every team they've accepted has been at least .500).

There have been teams with losing records selected. I am pretty sure Oregon and/or Oregon State had losing records. I am to lazy to look it up.

The NIT is going to want a couple of Big Ten teams, and with 7-8 teams looking likely for the Big Dance, if Iowa can just win 3 of their last 7, they should be a lock along with whichever Big Ten team gets their bubble burst (probably Northwestern or Minnesota).

But can Iowa get a high enough RPI to get selected? From what I understand ever since the NIT has been owned by the NCAA they use a similar selection criteria as the big dance. Right now Iowa is ranked 125th and if they only win 3 more games that will not go up much. If the NIT already has either Minnesota or Northwestern to select (both have a much higher RPI) then they already have a Big Ten school.

Wikipedia is your friend here:

National Invitation Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No sub-.500 teams since they abolished their .500 or better rule. The teams are chosen by a committee of ex-coaches. RPI may play a factor, but it isn't spelled out like it is in the NCAA tourney.

The last mock brackets I saw have 8 Big Ten teams in the tourney, with Minnesota in and Northwestern out. Admittedly, that has probably flipped in the last week, but I still think 8 teams is likely unless both Minnesota and Northwestern totally crap out (if NW craps out, I'll take it, as that likely means Iowa beat them twice.).

Sorry, I was thinking of the other 2 tournaments selecting teams with losing records.

With only 32 teams in the NIT anymore I think Iowa has to have a strong finish in order to get a look by the NIT.

The chances of each tourney would be as follows:

NCAA-1%
NIT-15%
CBI and the other one whatever it's called-50%
no tournament-34%

I'm not drunk on the Koolaid... we make NCAA baby!!! We win a couple games in BIG 10 Tourney and finish regular season strong. We have very easy schedule remaining. State had their easy season first, now we get ours.

I'm not drunk on the Koolaid... we make NCAA baby!!! We win a couple games in BIG 10 Tourney and finish regular season strong. We have very easy schedule remaining. State had their easy season first, now we get ours.

No, I would say more like Everclear. None of our remaining games are easy and we aren't going to make the dance.

No, I would say more like Everclear. None of our remaining games are easy and we aren't going to make the dance.

images

Iowa is going to be kicking themselves for not getting one of the games from Purdue, the loss to Campbell, and the home loss to Nebraska...............just them three games and Iowa could have made the dance a bit easier then what thye got to do now!

Latest posts