Hawks b-ball joins the list.

If there was an emoticon for "yawning," it would be here. This is just as manufactured and false as the Register trying to pass off Iowa State/Nebraska as a rivalry.

I hope you are right. The university has accepted responsibility. I assume it is a lesser violation than the others in the spotlight at Tennessee, etc.

I really think this is no big deal. There are a rediculous amount of recruiting rule violations out there, and this one seems to be a very minor violation and one that Fran will learn his lesson from. Coach Caff has never had these kind of resources at hand ie. Ashton, Demi, and Ex Hawkeyes and will learn how to use them within the rules. Honest mistake and that is all, so please Fran is the Man haters dont exaggerate this mistake.

Is that any different than Harrison Barnes meeting Michael Jordan while on a recruiting trip? If so, why is it different?

While I don't think this is the end of the world NCAA violations are nothing to sneeze at. Our basektball program has a big enough disadvantage right now, we don't need additional handicaps.

Iowa is pretty militant on this stuff. I was in the football booth in 2003 for Michigan game, on broadcast with Dolph and Podi. Dolph asked me about recruiting and who was in town that weekend, and I was vague and made a few comments. Next thing i know, Fred Mims is tapping me on shoulder, and pulls me out of the booth..says I can't talk about that stuff. Dolph turns around to ask me another question, and I am not there lol

Is that any different than Harrison Barnes meeting Michael Jordan while on a recruiting trip? If so, why is it different?

Yeah, i don't get it. Maybe I'm wrong but i seem to always hear about recruits meeting semi-celebrities or former athletes while on visits.

This...HB was talking about pick up games and meeting with MJ...and that got NO mention at the time. This is Iowa doing their job and if anything but a reprimand comes of it, I'd be shocked. Besides, if these are violations, we can go ahead and shut down the SEC and ACC post haste!

I know that Seantrel Henderson was talking with Cris Carter on the sidelines when Henderson visited Columbus. Is that not a violation as well? Or did Ohio St. already answer for that? I can't remember.

LOL... this is like an April Fools Day joke. The players met with Ashton Kutcher and the NCAA is investigating how unfair that would be for Iowa to do that!!!! Yes, because I am so sure that a 17 year old is like "oh man, I seen Ashton Kutcher at a football game... I want to go there!"
Da, Da, Da Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! What would they do at USC games where there is lots of celebrities... the NCAA is not going to ban celebrities from attending games! All those celebrities Iowa has makes it unfair for any other team... whatever! And this Michael Jordan thing... how much is North Carolina paying him and when did they promise to pay him? Isn't this more of a recruiting violation? Hey kid... come play for us and you will make $20K a year the rest of your life just for showing up on the annual recruting days. That can't be legal is it?

The NCAA is either getting dumber, or this article is a sham.

LOL... this is like an April Fools Day joke. The players met with Ashton Kutcher and the NCAA is investigating how unfair that would be for Iowa to do that!!!! Yes, because I am so sure that a 17 year old is like "oh man, I seen Ashton Kutcher at a football game... I want to go there!"
Da, Da, Da Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! What would they do at USC games where there is lots of celebrities... the NCAA is not going to ban celebrities from attending games! All those celebrities Iowa has makes it unfair for any other team... whatever! And this Michael Jordan thing... how much is North Carolina paying him and when did they promise to pay him? Isn't this more of a recruiting violation? Hey kid... come play for us and you will make $20K a year the rest of your life just for showing up on the annual recruting days. That can't be legal is it?

The NCAA is either getting dumber, or this article is a sham.

Probably a whole of both, but more of the second. This article is kind of like the hit piece the Register did about Kirk's new contract.

Meanwhile, the Register will be running stories about the ISU/Nebraska "rivalry" all week, and had a two page spread about it in todays sports section.

Are you sure the recruits thought it was great to meet Ashton or were they more interested in Demi (the ultimate cougar)???

This is so stupid and not a big issue overall but the immediate impact could end up being big. If NCAA decides to punish Iowa, Fran may no longer be able to recruit those that were involved - Paige I know was there and think Woodbury may have been as well. For those that aren't familiar with these two, they are both in-state recruits in the 2012 class both top 100 recruits and Paige is the #3 PG in the country/28th recruit overall!! Woodbury is 7'0" and #10 C in class.

I also think that Bluder had Kia Stokes on a visit as well. So the woman's team could face punishment.

Don't understand how the NCAA is fine with Harrison Barnes playing a pick-up game with Michael Jordan @ UNC but recruits aren't allowed to speak with B-list actors - NOT former All-American athletes.

If a kid seriously chooses to play ball at Iowa because they met Ashton Kutcher, then maybe they should move to Hollywood and act in really bad movies instead!

Somewhere I seen a picture of Woodbury, Paige kid and maybe Gesell with those 2 and wondered about it, now I know.

I really don't think this is a big deal but consider this. Fran has not even coached a game and he has already had a brush with the NCAA rules. I hate to burn any goodwill on something so silly as this. The next time something occurs he will likely not have the ability to say 'oops' because of this ordeal. The next minor violation makes Iowa a repeat offender.

I want to believe this is an honest mistake but in the back of my mind I'm thinking perhaps there actually are worse things than winning 10 games in a season, like winning 10 games and getting NCAA sanctions.

Won't be another opportunity for this type of violation probably.

Kutcher can't keep little Ashton in his pants apparently and him and Demi are heading for splits-ville.

Latest posts