Hawks at the combine

This is what I've been saying all along. A good OC finds a place for him on the field, 24/7. He's a huge mismatch for almost any position. The inability to think outside the box has hindered the Iowa offense since KF took over.
6'4 - 249 lbs. runs a 4.5 40 and has a 42" vertical leap. Yeah....lets sit him on the bench and put Weiting in. SMDH.
Anger rising.....

What shocks you about our offensive coaching staff not using him in more novel situations for these coaches??? Nothing surprising there. For example, why not when Wadley is a soph. use him in the slot with Leshun D or Canzeri in the backfield to pull an extra defender out of the box. McCarron was a very fast slot guy and Easley was above avg. but Wadley would scare the hell out of a D Coord flanked out like that. But we hardly did that as in getting as many playmakers on the field as possible with a many times challenged offense.

Wadley's receiving skills and YAC were great. I still think his last minute TD in Ames in 2017 was one of the great offensive plays in Iowa history considering the play itself and the score, time in the game, and position on the field.

A team needs an experienced OC to do such creative things. Iowa decided to hire family. It keeps the machine going forward and is safe.

Last edited:
In somewhat related news, Montez Sweat from Mississippi State ran a ludicrous 4.41 at 6'4" 260lbs

That DL was stacked

In somewhat related news, Montez Sweat from Mississippi State ran a ludicrous 4.41 at 6'4" 260lbs

That DL was stacked
Saw that. Unreal... Yet we blocked em up pretty well as far as pass protection goes. (We couldn't run on them or anyone else though)

(We couldn't run on them or anyone else though)
And that was the difference. Little better run game and we would have been a much better team.
That's what gives me hope for this year, pass game should be at about the best it's going to be with wrs and qb. (Let's hope it's good). And run game has to improve, or we will again hit the same wall we did this year. I'm confident the coaches and players know last year's run game just isn't going to get it done!!

And that was the difference. Little better run game and we would have been a much better team.
That's what gives me hope for this year, pass game should be at about the best it's going to be with wrs and qb. (Let's hope it's good). And run game has to improve, or we will again hit the same wall we did this year. I'm confident the coaches and players know last year's run game just isn't going to get it done!!
It was so odd for us too. Usually we can run it but not pass protect. Last yr was the opposite of that. And I don't think it was an issue with the running backs. I think our Oline wasn't generating lanes for them to really make something out of nothing on. I think IKM may have missed some running lanes here and there which is why the other two began getting more reps over him late in the year. But Young could get 4 yards when the others can only get two just because of his size and leg drive falling forward. I'm a bit surprised Young wasn't being used as the bell cow but too late now.

I hope his decision isn't a big mistake, could have been a core player for 7-5 Kirk season next year.

Not much loyalty out there.

$$$

At his size and physicality, that is excellent.
Yup that 2nd time will help big time. Not sure why but for whatever reason he'll be looked at differently for getting under 4.5. He'll be comped to Desmond King a lot and that'll be a similar role for him at the next level. Kinda a slot corner asked to cover WRs, RBs, TEs, and occasionally blitz. He probably won't go in 3rd round or higher but he'll be a solid pro for a long time

Yup that 2nd time will help big time. Not sure why but for whatever reason he'll be looked at differently for getting under 4.5. He'll be comped to Desmond King a lot and that'll be a similar role for him at the next level. Kinda a slot corner asked to cover WRs, RBs, TEs, and occasionally blitz. He probably won't go in 3rd round or higher but he'll be a solid pro for a long time
I don't know if Dez is a good comparison, because Amani has the ability to play inside with backers as well. He'll be that perfect 4-2-5 guy that allows teams enough personnel flexibility to not have to constantly sub or get caught with a bad package on the field. With his speed, some teams may want to try him as a 2 high or even 1 Robber safety.

Plus, Dez is elite at covering the slot right now, and was in college as well. While Amani is good there as well, I think that role would be limited compared to his skill set.

I don't know if Dez is a good comparison, because Amani has the ability to play inside with backers as well. He'll be that perfect 4-2-5 guy that allows teams enough personnel flexibility to not have to constantly sub or get caught with a bad package on the field. With his speed, some teams may want to try him as a 2 high or even 1 Robber safety.

Plus, Dez is elite at covering the slot right now, and was in college as well. While Amani is good there as well, I think that role would be limited compared to his skill set.
I'm not so sure about that at the next level... In college you bet he was great at about everything we used him for. I would bet the NFL folks are projecting him to be either a traditional FS type or similar to what D King does. Does he weigh just over 200 lbs? I can't see him being used as an NFL LB type at all. He'd get devoured by NFL lineman or TEs that'd block him in the run game.

Million dollar run, good for him!

Amani Hooker 14 reps on bench press, 4.48 in the 40, 37" vertical, 10'3" broad jump, 6.83 3-cone (2nd fastest safety), 4.10 20 yd shuttle (4th fastest safety), 11.59 60 yd shuttle (4th fastest safety)

I'm not so sure about that at the next level... In college you bet he was great at about everything we used him for. I would bet the NFL folks are projecting him to be either a traditional FS type or similar to what D King does. Does he weigh just over 200 lbs? I can't see him being used as an NFL LB type at all. He'd get devoured by NFL lineman or TEs that'd block him in the run game.
6' - 210 lbs. That's a little light for a LB and I'm not sure his frame is going to carry much more weight.