hawks are too passive, not physical enough for the Big10...

uihawk82

Today was another example of the hawks coming out playing good position defense the first few minutes, playing good passing, motion offense and getting that 8 point lead.

but after Painter called the first timeout and read his guys the riot act they came out physical and the refs let them play physical.

i would say overall after watching half or more of the Big 10 teams that Iowa is one of the more passive, least physical teams I have seen.

I will say the hawks play the game more like the game should be played but they just get eaten alive.

Woody throws some sharp elbows but he always gets called for fouls.

Maybe the hawks need to get real aggressive, overplay passing lanes and grab like Wisky and MSU, and maybe they should get more physical moving players out with hips and forearms. I am sure we would get called for 30 fouls but I would like to see it.

Anyone agree with me that we play too "clean"?

It's Fran's style of play. He wants fast, long, lanky, tall guards and forwards who can run the court. Problem is he has no shooters and won't next year yet. So he's trying to become a 1/2 court offense this year and the dip in tempo and scoring average this season is shocking. He's got athleticism coming in next season but not physical or shooters. Depending on any true freshmen that aren't program changes is a scary thought. This is who Iowa is with Fran.

It's Fran's style of play. He wants fast, long, lanky, tall guards and forwards who can run the court. Problem is he has no shooters and won't next year yet. So he's trying to become a 1/2 court offense this year and the dip in tempo and scoring average this season is shocking. He's got athleticism coming in next season but not physical or shooters. Depending on any true freshmen that aren't program changes is a scary thought. This is who Iowa is with Fran.

slow, can't defend, can't shoot? great combination to have.

I totally agree....Iowa is not physical, and that usually spells disaster is highly contested games where it's close and you need to get to the rim....we did a lot today, but we've had way too many quick passes and quick shots.....and from a poor shooting team, it's usually a loss every time....

Well, Fran's running style depends on getting the lead and making teams miss which leads to fast breaks.

Right now no opponents are totally crashing their offensive glass or have which leads to few Iowa fast breaks.

And the one fast break we got late in the first half Uhtoff was fouled from behind with no call and they got a fast break the other way.

Can't shoot outside or bang inside. The worst of both worlds.
I think we should resign ourselves to mediocre basketball and wait for Barta to be fired. Just like football.
This is the most pathetic Iowa sports has been since i began watching in 1978.
We sure do have top notch facilities though.

When Woodbury got into foul trouble Iowa had no answer for the big centers of Purdue...Olaseni plays hard but he can't deny and eliminate like Woodbury.

Too bad we cant combine them.

Agree with all of the above.

tall, skinny and soft won't win in many D-1 conferences...especially the Big Ten. And next year, we won't be particularly tall.

This team is missing...in a word... Balls. And it's inherent in how Fran builds his squad.

I don't want to blame the refs for the loss because Iowa did plenty to lose that game today, but the way they were calling it down low on Iowa I don't think being aggressive would have helped. Once Woody and Gabe had 4 fouls each they really had to back off. You could even say when they picked up their 3rd ones they were probably told to ease up.

I would like to see Iowa attack the rim more like Gessell did in the 2nd half. They should have done that against Iowa State and Northern Iowa.

I don't want to blame the refs for the loss because Iowa did plenty to lose that game today, but the way they were calling it down low on Iowa I don't think being aggressive would have helped. Once Woody and Gabe had 4 fouls each they really had to back off. You could even say when they picked up their 3rd ones they were probably told to ease up.

I would like to see Iowa attack the rim more like Gessell did in the 2nd half. They should have done that against Iowa State and Northern Iowa.

^^^This.^^^

When you get called for fouls just for breathing on the opponent, being aggressive isn't going to change things.

^^^This.^^^

When you get called for fouls just for breathing on the opponent, being aggressive isn't going to change things.

True, but I also mean being aggressive by getting in passing lanes, hedging on passing lanes to make it difficult for the opponent.

Also by sometimes getting up into them when they have the ball and not always being an arm length away.

Fran uses the 1-3-1 press to take time away from the opponent and also to get aggressive and try to force turnovers and bad shots. The press works well most of the time and if the hawks were a little faster and athletic I would love to see it employed more like the old Louisville teams and Dr Toms Hawks.

Games are won on defense, and I love the 1-3-1 to slow teams down.....we are just a 1/2 step behind sometimes or those traps would work more times than not....

Like any team, there are areas where improvement is needed. But I think it all boils down to making baskets.

It's really very simple... WE CAN'T SHOOT THE BALL!!!!!!!!! We're currently ranked 12th out of 14 in both total FG% and 3PT%. Our shooting stinks, period. Until that changes, it's just going to be more of the same. All of the other stuff could use improvements, but at least we're in the middle of the pack and above in most other areas. SHOOTING, SHOOTING, SHOOTING!!!!

True, but I also mean being aggressive by getting in passing lanes, hedging on passing lanes to make it difficult for the opponent.

Also by sometimes getting up into them when they have the ball and not always being an arm length away.

Fran uses the 1-3-1 press to take time away from the opponent and also to get aggressive and try to force turnovers and bad shots. The press works well most of the time and if the hawks were a little faster and athletic I would love to see it employed more like the old Louisville teams and Dr Toms Hawks.

I agree.

I would like to see Mike drive the lane more, like he did against NC and yesterday. Would also like to see Dickerson get more PT.

We were physical enough to have the lead with 1 minute left on the road against a team who played physical and got away with more than they should. All without our best player. If that dork doesn't pull that shot out of his *** none of this would be being discussed. We out rebounded them by a bunch. How do we do that without being physical?

We were physical enough to have the lead with 1 minute left on the road against a team who played physical and got away with more than they should. All without our best player. If that dork doesn't pull that shot out of his *** none of this would be being discussed. We out rebounded them by a bunch. How do we do that without being physical?

Correct! Iowa shoots the ball well enough, 62-74 shots each game, while scoring with 30+/-. If they were able to score 44%, I think they would be in the top ten. However, that is just my thinking.

Latest posts