Hawkeyes Top Gardner-Webb in Season Opener

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
There was a ‘first game’ feel to Iowa’s 76-59 win against Gardner-Webb on Friday night.

Yes, it was their first game, but the Hawkeyes looked a bit sluggish and uncertain in the first half. Iowa was minus two on the glass, made just 2-9 from the free throw line and Fran McCaffery was working through several lineups, trying to find something that worked.

Jarrod Uthoff worked in the first half, scoring all of his game-high 21 points (in 19 first half minutes). Other than Uthoff’s scoring and Gesell’s six assists, it was anything but pretty as Iowa took a 41-36 lead into the locker room. Iowa shot just 12 of 27 in the first half and were it not for a 15- of 18 performance at the line, things could have been ugly.

Whatever message McCaffery delivered at the break was received as Iowa opened on an 8-0 run, powered by back to back Peter Jok three-point shots. The Hawkeyes had a double-digit lead and they would hold on to that for much of the rest of the game. Iowa was more crisp on the offensive side of the ball and more determined on the defensive side of the ball, the latter likely being McCaffery’s biggest cause for consternation in the first half.

As quickly as Jok heated up, he was forced to leave the game after turning his right ankle. He would return to the bench, but wearing a walking boot. McCaffey would say after the game that the injury was not severe and he did not expect Jok to be out for an extended period of time. Iowa has a quick turnaround and plays on Sunday night against Coppin Stat before traveling to Milwaukee to play Marquette next week.

Uthoff played just seven early minutes in the second half before retiring for the night and Iowa’s reserves were able to keep the game in check. Adam Woodbury scored 11 points to go along with six boards while Anthony Clemmons and Peter Jok scoring eight apiece. Amhad Wagner scored six to go along with eight boards in just nine minutes. Nicolas Baer and Dom Uhl added six while Mike Gesell tied a career high with nine assists in the game.

Iowa didn’t look crisp in either of their exhibition games and they will need some time to figure out their rotations. Things could be worse, as Iowa could have begun the season with an opening night loss the way Wisconsin did at home against Western Illinois along with Illinois giving up over 90-points in an opening loss to North Florida.

Was pleasantly surprised by the play of Ahmad Wagner in the short time he was in. Put himself in good position to make plays off the boards. Good body control for a young player. Many inexperienced players that play with that kind of energy get a bit out of control and end up with silly fouls. Didn't seem to be the case with Wagner. Hopefully we will get to see a bit more of him next game.

That being said, think we have a lot of things to clean up as a team. Pretty typical of most teams with new blood, trying to find their identity this early in the season.

Wagner looked like a man out there in short time. What really stood out to me and glad to see Iowa bounced back with a win after losing to a D2 team.

In the first half Sapp and Jok couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Woodbury looked about the same as last year but was not making ignorant fouls. We looked some what weak on the boards until Wagner came in. Second half looked better than the first half. We also didn't have the fast breaks to the opponents basket like we did last year. Uthoff looked great the first half. It was a win and I was glad to see better play in the second half indicating that the players were starting to learn and adjust.

In the first half Sapp and Jok couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Woodbury looked about the same as last year but was not making ignorant fouls. We looked some what weak on the boards until Wagner came in. Second half looked better than the first half. We also didn't have the fast breaks to the opponents basket like we did last year. Uthoff looked great the first half. It was a win and I was glad to see better play in the second half indicating that the players were starting to learn and adjust.

Agree, but IMO the rebounding was a lot weaker than just some what weak. I am afraid rebounding is Iowa's Achilles heal this year although Wagner could be a one man beast on the boards.

Don't really care that Baer is a walkon... the dude has cemented himself in the rotation for me. I would not flinch one bit if Fran names Baer the starter in Jok's absence.

Iowa's frontline has been full of long,lean players the last couple of years. It's nice to now have a player like Wagner that can just beat the **** out of people... him and Tyler Cook together man (jumps up and down frantically).

This looks like a team that will improve a ton over the course of the season. Hopefully they win enoough OOC games to give them a shot at making the tournament.

I didn't get to watch the game but was monitoring the box score. Did Uthoff not play much in the second half? He dominated the first half and appeared (by the box score) to do nothing in the second half.

Latest posts