Hawkeyes Send Six to B1G Finals

Some really big Iowa-PSU matches today.

De Santo will need a miracle to beat Bravo-Young, especially if he’s focused on his finger. Hopefully they can do something with it, but he really had a tough time in his semi yesterday against a guy he destroyed in the dual.

Eirman looked his solid self yesterday, so hopefully we can get that one.

And while Kemmerer looked solid yesterday, that’ll be a tight one, too.

Then if Lee and Marinelli can do their things we should be ok. Schroder had a really good day yesterday, though. And I don’t have a lot of confidence with Young’s match. Get 4 of 6.

Anyone know what happened to Murin at 149? Was he hurt or just get upset twice?
Not hurt, just got beat.

I haven't tried to do the math, but I think it'd be pretty tough for him to qualify for nationals now since he's got such few matches.

Looking forward to Nationals. Really hoping no Covid issues come up again. Anybody that tests positive gets the entire time knocked out of competition based on the St. Louis protocols that just knocked UNI out of the MVC hoops tournament.

Not hurt, just got beat.

I haven't tried to do the math, but I think it'd be pretty tough for him to qualify for nationals now since he's got such few matches.

I'm not going to pretend that I understand how they do at large bids in wrestling but it will be interesting to see how they handle Murin. He's ranked in the top 10 and the RPI is a damn small sample size.

But if he misses the NCAA's it's his own damn fault.

I'm not going to pretend that I understand how they do at large bids in wrestling but it will be interesting to see how they handle Murin. He's ranked in the top 10 and the RPI is a damn small sample size.

But if he misses the NCAA's it's his own damn fault.
It's about as simple as computational physics. This is what the NCAA says, but it's different every year because each conference gets different allocations of at large bids.

At-large selections are based on the following criteria: head-to-head competition, quality wins, coaches’ ranking, results against common opponents, RPI, qualifying event placement, and winning percentage.

But you're right, it's his fault. It really sucks ass that we're sending 9 guys and not a full house. That would send a statement.

I really think we can get Lee, The Bull, Kemerer, and Eierman on top of the podium. They're all veterans of tough, huge matches throughout their careers, and Lee & Eierman both have wrestled on big stages internationally on the freestyle circuit.

DeSantos is waaaaaaaaay outmatched by RBY. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Young wrestles to not lose and doesn't score enough points to be a big timer. One of the most frustrating (to me) wrestlers I've seen since I started watching in the early 80s. If matches were a half hour long he'd never lose because he's ruthless on top, but he doesn't get there soon enough in big time matches.

Brands is young and makes too many mistakes (hopefully he'll start to outgrow that soon). What's frustrating about him is that he'll wrestle a match where 90% of the time he's doing all the right things, but there's a 20 second chunk of time somewhere when he'll make a rookie mistake and get out of position. He'll go 2 TD, 4 NF and at this level there's no digging yourself out of 0-6 even if you don't get pinned. If he could clean that little shit up he'd be a top 3 guy.

And nobody is winning HWT on this planet other than Gable Steveson. He and Spencer Lee are the two best pound for pound folkstylers in the country by 1,000 miles. Even though big Cass is gonna finish third, where he helps us is that he's also the third best guy in the country by a long ways. There are planty of guys he can tech and pin before he gets beat by Parris.

Warner is a wild card. Some people compare him to Young but it couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, Warner doesn't score a lot of points, but he's strategic. He wrestles his own match and uses his defense to set up shots or he plays the math game with escapes and riding time. Kaleb just frustratingly locks up and snaps for two and a half periods and doesn't make legit shots until he's down to far or his opponent has RT locked up.

It's about as simple as computational physics. This is what the NCAA says, but it's different every year because each conference gets different allocations of at large bids.

But you're right, it's his fault. It really sucks ass that we're sending 9 guys and not a full house. That would send a statement.

I really think we can get Lee, The Bull, Kemerer, and Eierman on top of the podium. They're all veterans of tough, huge matches throughout their careers, and Lee & Eierman both have wrestled on big stages internationally on the freestyle circuit.

DeSantos is waaaaaaaaay outmatched by RBY. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Young wrestles to not lose and doesn't score enough points to be a big timer. One of the most frustrating (to me) wrestlers I've seen since I started watching in the early 80s. If matches were a half hour long he'd never lose because he's ruthless on top, but he doesn't get there soon enough in big time matches.

Brands is young and makes too many mistakes (hopefully he'll start to outgrow that soon). What's frustrating about him is that he'll wrestle a match where 90% of the time he's doing all the right things, but there's a 20 second chunk of time somewhere when he'll make a rookie mistake and get out of position. He'll go 2 TD, 4 NF and at this level there's no digging yourself out of 0-6 even if you don't get pinned. If he could clean that little shit up he'd be a top 3 guy.

And nobody is winning HWT on this planet other than Gable Steveson. He and Spencer Lee are the two best pound for pound folkstylers in the country by 1,000 miles. Even though big Cass is gonna finish third, where he helps us is that he's also the third best guy in the country by a long ways. There are planty of guys he can tech and pin before he gets beat by Parris.

Warner is a wild card. Some people compare him to Young but it couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, Warner doesn't score a lot of points, but he's strategic. He wrestles his own match and uses his defense to set up shots or he plays the math game with escapes and riding time. Kaleb just frustratingly locks up and snaps for two and a half periods and doesn't make legit shots until he's down to far or his opponent has RT locked up.
Agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I might disagree with you on is Young. I thought he was as outclassed by Deakin as De Santo by RBY.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I might disagree with you on is Young. I thought he was as outclassed by Deakin as De Santo by RBY.
He was definitely outclassed, but if you watched Young’s (albeit limited) matches this year, he's just content with collar ties lasting entire periods, which doesn't give him any breathing room when he inevitably gets caught. He can get away with it wrestling unranked lower talent guys, but once he hits the B1G and NCAAs he's toast

I just hope they can play the NCAA's so Iowa doesn't get screwed out of another NC, I think they would have won last year.

If the Big Ten conference has any say in who gets at large bids then I'd have to think Murin gets in. I think we find out tomorrow, I say think because the NCAA website must have a typo.

1615298653501.png

Latest posts